PDA

View Full Version : Wet flies.. What are they??

Ryano
04-22-2008, 07:43 PM
I was looking at an online fly store and came across wet flies.. I have seen them before but never really known how or when they should be used. How do you all use them(split shot, indicator, etc.)?? I have only been FF for about 5 months and havent really came across these yet..

Thanks again,
Ryan

mtnman2888
04-22-2008, 07:55 PM
I either fish them just on a dead drift first and if that doesn't work then i fish them on the swing. Alot of times that seems to be the ticket when i can't get the fish to key in on anything else.

Also, about the weight question, i generally try to keep them up in the water column so i don't use any sort of weight.

Craig

monktrout
04-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Ryan, Wet flies fell out of popular use when nymph fishing got hot. Wet flies were generally fished downstream two or three at a time. They were effective then and still are. A member of the wet fly family, the soft hackle, has had a resurgence of popularity in the last few years. When nothing is rising I always consider a soft hackle as my fly of choice. Dave Hughes' book Wet Flies is very good. Lots of soft hackle people on this forum. I'm glad you got to start fly fishing young. I had years of bad habits to break before I was barely decent at this pleasure we call fly fishing. Good Luck, Monk

Grumpy
04-22-2008, 11:13 PM
what are they?

a beginner's best friend, an experienced angler's best secret;)

Grumpy

Ryano
04-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Hmm.. Sounds like something I am looking forward to trying out. I read an article about them in the Drake and have been wondering ever since. I ordered a few the other day, kinda tried to match them with the dries I already have. So, there has been times when I have recognized a hatch, but there were no fish rising to anything. Im guessing this would be a good time to try one.. :rolleyes: . How do you recommend fishing them though? Down river or with the drift?? I am guessing no indicator..

Thanks again,
Ryan

PeteCz
04-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Ryano, take a look at this article on the internet and google others with "fishing wet flies". Its amazing how many more resources are available now (for free) than when I was young and just getting started...wow that sounds really weird...

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/techniques/likakis_beyondtheswing.aspx

MBWCC
04-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Despite most books, references, and web pages focusing on "the swing" or "the lift" or "the rise" or whatever imparted fly motion & name, don't completely ignore a simple dead drift when fishing a wet fly (especially a soft hackle). Weight the fly so as to have it hang/float/suspend a few inches above the bottom as it floats downstream. Many soft hackle flies are very effective in this manner.

Rog 1
04-23-2008, 02:45 PM
My grandfather once told me that when he first started fly fishing in the park that was all they really had....would fish a tandem throught the runs....one of the best days I ever had was in a warm rain fishing a Leadwing Coachman in the LR above Elkmont....**** near caught a fish on every cast with that fly....even today you can find one or two in my fly box just in case.

Wilson10
05-13-2008, 02:02 PM
That midcurrent.com is an awesome site!

Ryano, take a look at this article on the internet and google others with "fishing wet flies". Its amazing how many more resources are available now (for free) than when I was young and just getting started...wow that sounds really weird...

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/techniques/likakis_beyondtheswing.aspx