PDA

View Full Version : Guided Float Trip

ccmmcc
04-24-2008, 07:54 AM
My fishing buddy and I are considering splurging on a float trip on either the South Holston or Clinch river. Anybody have any suggestions, opinions, comments or experiences? Thanks in advance for your info.

ChemEAngler
04-24-2008, 08:51 AM
If it were me, I would do the SoHo. Starting to get into good sulfur season. Big and beautiful browns on dries, can't beat it. Hopefully in a couple of years, after the Clinch's slot limit has taken effect, it will be a toss-up.

Travs

David Knapp
04-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Watauga isn't bad either...;)

MtnMike
04-24-2008, 10:32 AM
I've only been on one float trip. We did the upper SoHo last year and I loved it. A lot of times, you have to pick your date and then the generation schedule will determine where you can go. As a previous post noted the Watauga ain't bad (as a matter of fact a lot of people prefer to float it). The advantage to coming to upper east TN is that you have that option. If there is water on the SoHo, then you can float it. But, if not you can float the Watauga.

rainshaker
04-24-2008, 11:32 AM
My fishing buddy and I are considering splurging on a float trip on either the South Holston or Clinch river. Anybody have any suggestions, opinions, comments or experiences? Thanks in advance for your info.

Contact Bruce Wankel or Bob Viers at their guide service
Trestle & Tailrace Fly Fishing Inc.

My wife and I floated the SoHo with Bruce and had a great experience.

Mike_Anderson
04-24-2008, 12:01 PM
You might want to consider the Caney too. It's been VERY good lately. We had a brown last weekend that was between 26 and 27 inches. Also lots of smaller fish and some Striper activity as well.

TOPPER
04-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Do yourself a favor and contact Steven Dark. He’s a young, energetic and extremely talented guide. I’ve known him personally for almost 3 years and have fished with him on numerous occasions and have even used his services as a guide for a “corporate outing” and I always leave JC having learned a new trick or technique. He’s very professional and knows both of those rivers up there like the back of his hand. As far as which river to fish…well personally I never pass up the opportunity to fish the mighty Watauga. The South Fork seems to be alittle more temperamental and she will not hesitate to put the most experienced fisher in his or her place. But you can’t really go wrong with either one this time of year. Drop me a line if you need Steven’s contact info…www.flyfishtennessee.com or dmoore@astecunderground.com

monktrout
04-24-2008, 09:23 PM
South Holston=Ginger
Watauga=Mary Ann
I'll be wading the Clinch soon with Mrs. Howell, but she is rich.