PDA

View Full Version : Fishing 2 flies

Brook Fan
04-24-2008, 08:45 PM
I have heard mentioned several times about fishing a dropper fly while you are drift fishing.
When you tie the 2nd fly on do you tie a length of tippet directly to the 1st fly or do you connect a secondary tippet to your main tippet.
I'm picturing in my head a crappie or cat fish rig.

Also do you recommend a dry on top and a nymph beneath or 2 nymphs at different depths?

diamonddave7676
04-24-2008, 09:19 PM
well you could do it either way but I like it better tied to the bend in the hook of the top fly. It has less of a chance of causing tangles and other problems. All of the ones you have mentioned work great. I enjoy fishing a nymph and a soft hackle on a dropper.

diamonddave7676
04-24-2008, 09:20 PM
here is a link that explains more.

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/techniques/monahan_seeing_double.aspx

Brook Fan
04-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the article.
Now I've got to go try this out

monktrout
04-26-2008, 07:56 PM
BrookFan, I agree with DiamondDave. Dropper rigs can really cause a bunch of tangles. Tying off the bend goes unusually smooth and is very effective except for the occasional foul hooking. I often end up sticking myself with the stray hook, so be careful. The woolly bugger with a small bhpt or soft hackle can catch you some fish.

Biggame1
04-28-2008, 10:57 AM
This method works very well.
I first learned about it a couple of years ago from a guide in Colorado. We were using a strike indicator with 2 #20 stone flies in tandem. I caught 15 bows that day non under 18", the largest 25.5" and close to 8.0lbs. Probably an average day in CO, but my best day ever. Of course after that trip, I started using this rig a lot, except I us a large dry pattern instead of a foam indicator. The distance from your indicator (dry) and the first nymph (as stated in the article from Diamond D) will be determined by several variables; Depth of water, depth or range fish are feeding, flow rate, and weight of nymphs. I usually keep the distance between the two nymphs at ~10-15". I have used this type of rig on the Clinch with really good success on all three hooks(when conditions permit) #12-14 PA with 2, #18-20 BHPT's. The rig will look the same as the first illustration (in article) except you'll tie an additional nymph 10-15" below the first (all tied in the bend of hook). You will have to deal with more tangles than usual and once in a while a foul hooked fish.

Brook Fan
04-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks for sharing your set up on the Clinch.
I live 30 minutes from it so I log alot of hours on the Clinch. It will be nice to try your triple team action on the same river you have been secussful with.

milligan trout degree
04-28-2008, 12:22 PM
I almost always use two flies when I'm out fishing. Usually two nymphs, and attractor as the top fly and a more immitative nymph behind it. Great way to search for fish and what they're eating. I also usually use a bigger fly as the lead fly fished on usually one size heavier tippet than what i have coming off the bend to the trailing fly. Usually this means 5x off a 9.5 5x leader to the lead fly, then 6x to the trailing fly. Most of the time, I don't worry so much about where my indicator is on the line. I put it high on my leader to keep it away from the flies and spooking the fish. I do this because usually im fishing nymph appropriate water, fast riffles, deep runs. I like the quick pace of this fishing. The reason I don't worry about the indicator is because the flies generally aren't sitting below the indicator, but are drifting downstreams behind the indicator. I want them bouncing off the bottom of the riffles. If I'm fishing slower water, then I'll move my indicator to control the depth of the flies because they will be riding directly below it. This is where I usually go for a dry fly of some sort. Something visible, EHC, parachute flies, and wulffs are good for that.

This is how I fish a lot of times,

Ben

Wilson10
05-08-2008, 01:06 PM
awesome article. Very helpful to us Long pole rookies.

Thanks!

here is a link that explains more.

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/techniques/monahan_seeing_double.aspx

Brook Fan
05-08-2008, 09:23 PM
I finally got to try the droper rig and the Clinch didn't waste any time in letting me see how well it works.
I was able to sneak up on a school of bows in the 2nd weir pool and even though they seemed more interested in groceries floating around I was able to get a bend in my rod with my old friend hares ear. The school ignored the top fly but couldn't resist the dangling one.

Thanks for adding a new trick to my collection.