PDA

View Full Version : Stripping basket usefulness

Nharrier
05-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Trying to get some pros and cons on the use of a stripping basket. I was fishing the surf in San Diego last Friday (same morning and beach where the great white shark attacked the veternarian!) and amongst other things after finding out about the shark attack, I was thinking it would have been a help to control the line. The William Joseph basket folds up in a belt out of the way when not in use. Thoughts on it or the use of baskets would be helpful. Although I would use it for saltwater wade fishing in FL, any use in the GSMNP etc?
Thanks!

ccmmcc
05-02-2008, 07:37 AM
That's a pretty interesting idea. I don't think it would do me any good in the GSMNP because I rarely have any line on the water, mostly fish plunge pools and pocket water via high sticking. However, on some of the bigger rivers with lots of current, it may make sense. I am forever retrieving line from downstream and sometimes, especially in Michigan, the line is getting tangled in downed trees, etc.

Grumpy
05-02-2008, 10:53 PM
I like stripping baskets while fishing from a boat with 50-70' of line stripped out throwing huge streamers. I have an old DB Dunn that collapses, want to get my hands on a WJ, i like the design as mentioned already.
Some of the tub models are great to, they even have thick plastic strips or built-in cones to help keep the line from tangling, of course they are bulky:redface:

Grumpy

txbrown
05-05-2008, 08:13 PM
I have the WJ and really like it. Hang a water bottle and small case off of it. Used it for saltwater and fishing surf on my last trip. Never used it in fresh water.

Grumpy, I can bring it buy if you'd like to try it.

Nharrier
05-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Txbrown:
I assume you mean that you hang a water bottle and small case (?) from the belt. That is a good idea. I have heard that if wading in waste deep water the basket is troublesome as compared to stiff bucket types. Is that your experience?
Thanks!

txbrown
05-06-2008, 09:23 PM
WJ makes bottle and cases for their wading belts that can be used on it. I am sorry but I never had it in very deep water, so I can't answer that question.