PDA

View Full Version : 6' Rods

Brook Fan
05-08-2008, 09:04 PM
As I was looking around the LRO e-store I noticed two 6 foot rods.
The Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 2WT 6"
The Temple Forks Series 1 2WT 6'

I fish mostly tail waters but I'm starting to love the mountain experience.
I am however very awkward or clumsy when I'm crawling around with my 5Wt 8'6 rod.

What are your guys thoughts on the 6 foot rods and which one would you recommend if you would.

I love my current TFO and the price I paid, but its a professional series where the one above is a series 1. The Orivs may be worth the money in this case.

Jubal
05-08-2008, 09:20 PM
i have a low cost 6'3" 3wt I bought last year. You can forget getting any casting distance out of that short of a rod, but hey, that's not why I bought it. I fish a few wild streams with small brookies in my area of NC and it does great. It even handles a size 10 march brown fairly well. I've yet to try any nymphs on it and doubt I ever will. The brand is just some ultralight "something" from basspro and a tiny reel. I would go with a better brand if I had it to do over. I'm only giving you input on that rod length. It does pack great and makes it much easier when I have to climb through all the fallen trees and junk on these hidden streams.

Good luck.

David Knapp
05-09-2008, 12:13 AM
If money is not an issue, those Superfines are SWEET rods. The next trout rod I purchase will likely be one of the new Superfines. I've got one of the old ones which is just a lot of fun to fish but the newer ones are better all around rods...

ijsouth
05-09-2008, 09:02 AM
I understand the desire to have a rod that can make backcasts in the brush a bit easier, but I'm not sure about going that short. I have two rods that I use in the mountains - one is a 7'3" 2wt, and the other is a 6'10" 3wt. On our last trip, I stuck with the shorter 3wt rod, and while it performed fine, I did notice on a few instances that I was having difficulty keeping the rod tip high enough to avoid drag. I'll use the 2wt on our next trip at the end of the month, and I'll compare to see if my suspicions were right.

I guess in the final analysis, it is a matter of personal preference. While a longer rod might be more difficult to cast, it certainly gives you an advantage in a drift.

Rog 1
05-09-2008, 09:20 AM
I have one of the original Orvis One Ounce rods...a 6'6" 2 wt....I have fished this rod on waters as small as Road Prong to some of the lower portions of WPLP....I can cast a size 12 EHC with no problem.....this is a great rod on smaller water that can handle a wide range of dry flies....I have landed a 14" brown and a 16" rainbow on it ....my son has taken this rod for his own right now and I recently bought a 6'6" diamonglas 3 wt.....this rod is a little faster but I find it hard to put down....LLBean also makes a 6'6" Streamlight rod in a 3 wt. for $99...they advertise it as a medium fast rod....I bought one of these for my fishing buddy and he likes it a lot.....I think the Orvis 6' rod was produced just so they could maintain the position of having a one ounce rod...if you are interested in the Orvis brand I would check out ebay...I have seen several of these up for sale recently....

Grousegunner
05-09-2008, 12:54 PM
I agree with ijsouth. In some cases, a shorter rod can hinder your ability to create a drag-free drift. Also, I find that it is more difficult to land a fish on a shorter rod (less than 7'). Mostly because you have to retrieve the fly line all the way back into the guides (if you're using a leader that is longer than 7') in order to get the fish close enough to the net/hand. Sometimes, the fish will make one last attempt to escape and the transition point between the fly line and the leader gets snagged on the guides, which easily snaps a fine tippet. This can be frustrating, especially if you've just spent ten minutes fighting a nice fish.

My advice would be to visit a fly shop where you can cast several different rods (like LRO). Don't limit your search to a specific line weight or length. Sometimes, you will be surprised at what rod actually feels the best.

Grousegunner

Leinart
05-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Brook Fan,

Might you be on the Hiwassee tomorrow? If so, and if we can get together, you are welcome to try my 6 foot cane 3wt. and 6.5 foot Loomis 3 wt. rods. Ive landed 16+ inch fish with them both and they do fine for small stream fishing. I've used them both in Montana and I used the Loomis in Alaska. The biggest fish I landed in AK was a 26 inch Silver. Im not so sure the guide appreciated me using a 3wt but, Id always said I will go to a bigger rod and line when I caught fish that required bigger. Before Alaska Id never caught anything that big :)
In the Smokies I usually run 3-5 foot leader on them which seems to be plenty for "mountain fishing" where there are lots of exposed rock everywhere, no long drifts, and where one is doing hit and run, dabbling style , "pocket water" fishing. I sometime overline them, too. Fishing such short casts lets me go to heavier line since I dont need to cast very far at all. The rods load and perform better and if I need to cast 30 feet I can go back to the 3 wt line.

These rods are fun when I take kids fishing. The rods are so short and light the kids can handle them pretty easily. For me, they give my arm a rest and I can fish them a lot of hours without burning out. Also, they are a nice break from the tailwater rigs that I usually fish.

Best ones

dan

Ill *probably* be working with Trout Unlimited at Reliance Fly and Tackle bout 10:30 in the A:M but, you may want to drop a note just in case.
df

JimmyC
05-09-2008, 06:07 PM
You would certainly be pleased with the Superfine. I have the 8' 4 weight which plays and feels like a 3 weight and I take it to the park and tailwaters all the time. The shortest rod I use is a 7'3" Temple Fork Finesse which is a joy to fish for brookies with.

Brook Fan
05-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Leinart
Thanks for the opportunity to try out some smaller rods on the water, but sadly I doubt I will be able to get out this weekend. Which is a shame becuase I haven't been on the Hiwassee yet.

However I haven't given up all hope I did pack my bag last night just in case.

Leinart
05-10-2008, 07:48 AM
BF,
Stay in touch. I may be hitting the Clinch or even the Smokies before too long and maybe that would be more convenient for you than the HI. ??

Also, remind me: I've got an Orvis 2 wt that's a lot of fun and you may enjoy trying it although, it is 7'9". I've used it in the Smokies with a 4wt line which gives it a nice slow traditional action !!:)

tire guy
05-10-2008, 09:26 AM
I have a 6' Scott 2wt. and while getting the drift is difficult the rewards a 5" fish feeling like a 20" make the challange worth the extra effort. When I go to the Smokies i take a variety of rods to accomodate the stream and conditions. So my reccomdation is if you like the challange of something different get the 6 footer, to me it is not about how many but how much fun