PDA

View Full Version : Information on Elk and Caney

Skipjack
05-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Does anyone have any infomation on the Elk or the Caney. I will be going on Saturday. What should I be using for either? Thanks for the info.
Bill

David Knapp
05-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Caught a few on midges today on the Caney but nothing spectacular. Saw some great fish though... I hope to get down there again on Sunday myself as the river is in great shape...

Skipjack
05-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Was there any generation?? I was hoping to fish the Elk, it is closer. Thanks

David Knapp
05-08-2008, 10:49 PM
They are generating on the Caney and the schedule is a bit strange but the forecast (as of right now) for the weekend is looking like should be fairly wadeable...Even with the current schedule you can fish but you have to move around quite a bit to stay ahead of the rising water...

txbrown
05-08-2008, 11:36 PM
My son and I have been fishing the Elk alot lately due to the Caney generation. We have done well with BHPT, soft hackles and sz 16 buggers. 2 weeks ago I even caught some on P-Adams.

We have also hit the Duck some and had fair success there. Mostly orange soft hackles.

Grumpy
05-09-2008, 08:09 AM
The Elk, the forecasted schedule for the Caney is wadable for the weekend, then again, if you want to see some big fish, big crowds, poachers, illegal meat hunter's, selfish, non conservation minded folks, rude paddlers, litter all over the banks, come to the Caney, that's a mild description of what you'll see this weekend:eek:
Olive buggers, zebra midges, small Griffth's Gnat's, Para Adams & pheasant tails have been working on the Elk.
I'd take some white looking egg patterns to the Caney, the Buffalo have been spawing, pheasant tails, scuds, buggers or hares ears, don't forget small soft hackles for either river.
Good luck,

Grumpy

Skipjack
05-09-2008, 09:08 AM
I think I will take a chance on the Elk. Thanks to all for the information.
Bill

ALflygirl
05-10-2008, 09:16 PM
The Elk was not kind to me today. Brought one rainbow to hand on an irresistible Adams. Had several LDRs on a zebra midge below an indicator. Most people that were catching anything at all today said they were using a zebra midge. Beautiful day on the water!

mastercaster
05-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Loydtruss i totally agree in everything that you said about the Caney, some big fish man but forget that overcrowded river!