PDA

View Full Version : 'bows in Hawaii!?

golfballs03
05-16-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm planning a trip to the island of Kauai and was reading about the hikes around the Na Pali Coast and Waimea Canyon. One is to the Koaie Stream in the Alakai Swamp. It's a pretty treacherous 4-6 hour hike from the trail head. The Alakai is one of the most pristine wildlife areas in the world because it is so remote due to the sharp peaks that surround it. The water that forms the stream starts as rain fall on Mt. Waialeale at 5080 ft - it is known as the wettest spot on earth. The rain filters through the Alaiaki swamp into Koaie Stream. It is there that a naturally-reproducing trout fishery exists! The Koaie has a great deal of insect life, aquatic and terrestrial, and produces big fish.

Anyway, I'm not going to do this excursion this time around since I'll be w/ my family, but I thought this was pretty incredible and as unexpected as learning about ski slopes on the big island (it's true). I thought I'd share with you all and maybe on the off chance, find someone who has actually done it!

gmreeves
05-16-2008, 02:04 PM
http://www.tuhi.org/ourChapter/newsletters/112606/index.php

TroutAssassin
05-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Alas! I can finally move to a tropical island and fish for wild rainbows at the the same time:biggrin: