PDA

View Full Version : Scott S3

BuckeyeRick
05-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Has anyone had a problem with Scott S3 tips breaking?

I have never broken a fly rod in my life, yet the tip on my Scott (9', 6wt) has snapped twice. The first time I had a fly in a tree and when I pulled to break the leader, the line flew back and snapped the tip. I have done this many times with all of my other rods and never had a problem. The second time I was casting and hit the line, not the rod, of the other guy in the boat and the tip snapped. I love the rod, but this is getting ridiculous.

Is this what I should expect from "fast" rods? Thanks for any input.

Grumpy
05-21-2008, 07:37 AM
I broke a tip on my 4 weight S3 once, it was stupidity though:frown: I fished that rod hard & never had a problem with it other than that.
I have a tip flex T3 from Orvis that has served as a guide rod & accounted for many hours & fish w/o a problem til my teenage son borrowed it one day:eek: I expected it to break the day i slapped an interstate bridge while double hauling(floating to close), it kept on casting though, til #1 son got ahold of it.
I really don't think flex has a thing to do with it, i have a friend that has sent many Sage LL's back for tips & they are nowhere near fast or tip flex.

Grumpy

James Buice
05-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Sounds like you had lightning strike in the same place twice. I've broken a few rods when fishing, all on the tip except one Winston 3wt that broke in the butt section while casting (still scratching my head on that one). Typically, if you hit any rod blank just right on the tip, it will snap. I know how frustrating it is to wait for a rod while it is being repaired. Give me a shout at strangetrout@gmail.com and I'll see what I can do about getting you a loaner while your rod is being fixed.

I assure you, this is not typical in any Scott model, esp the S3; my 4wt is bullet proof.

James

BuckeyeRick
05-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Well, it appears that the situation is now moot. Scott received the UPS box, but minus the rod. I'm waiting to hear what they will do for me. I'm hoping to get what I paid for it, and then, it's on to a new rod.

JB - thanks for the offer.

jeffnles1
05-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Well, it appears that the situation is now moot. Scott received the UPS box, but minus the rod. I'm waiting to hear what they will do for me. I'm hoping to get what I paid for it, and then, it's on to a new rod.

JB - thanks for the offer.

Wow, that really stinks. I've heard horror stories about UPS insurance claims, including one that I know of personally where the UPS claims adjustor actually said the box was shipped empty and accused a friend of scamming UPS for a multi-thousand dollar guitar.

I sure do hope your situation gets resolved quickly and fairly.

Jeff

irfishing
05-23-2008, 09:25 PM
BuckeyeRick,
I sent a pair of wader to my son via UPS. They never arrived. As soon as I provided UPS with proof of cost, they sent me a check for the full amount.
Hope you have a similar experience and can go shopping for that NEW rod.

Grumpy
05-23-2008, 10:47 PM
jeez thanks guys, i just shipped a $1,500 pistol today:frown:

Grumpy

jeffnles1
05-24-2008, 10:03 AM
I'm sure 99.999% of the shipments go through with no problem. I don't worry about shipping stuff UPS. In my friend's case, it was obvious theft somewhere along the way.

If you know guitars, it was a Martin D-42 with some custom features added. It was a $4,000+ guitar. He was shipping it to a reputable luthier to have it set up and some work done (insall a pickup, new saddle and nut and some tweaking of the truss rod). When it got to it's destination, the box had been opened and re-taped. The case was in the box but the guitar was not in the case.

He's sure the guitar fixer didn't take it because this particular guy sees guitars worth 10X that amount every day so to him, it's just another guitar and nothing special. There would be no reason to steal it.

He finally had the claims adjuster weigh the box and case and compare it with the receipt he had on the original weight. There was a difference.

After getting a lawyer involved, UPS finally paid him the value of the instrument (he did pay for the extra insurance upon shipping).

My friend is not a rich man, drives a beat up old car, and like most struggling artists lives in a very modest home. The claims guy was a total jerk and may have been thinking scam from the start. How could a guy like this afford a 4K guitar?

Anyway, I'm sure it was just one jerk claims adjuster and not typical of UPS service. Also, there is a big difference between paying out on a $600 fly rod and a $4,000 guitar.

I hope all works out for you and I'm sure it will. The biggest deicsion you'll most likely have to make is what rod to buy with the check.

Jeff