PDA

View Full Version : Clearwater II

BuckeyeRick
05-20-2008, 12:55 PM
I got to cast the Orvis Clearwater II in a 8'6" 5wt. and I was mighty impressed. I have the exact same rod in the original Clearwater. Man 'o' man, what a difference. The original is a full flex (5.0) and is so slow that if you start a cast on Monday, you finish on Tuesday. The II is rated as mid-flex (6.5) and cast, for me, like a dream. I was tossing a #6 Clouser a mile.

I would have to put it on par with the TFO Pro series.

Has anybody else tried them?

ALflygirl
05-20-2008, 07:13 PM
I have the Clearwater II 8'6" 4 wt and I love it! I have started fishing with it most of the time instead of my original Clearwater 6 wt.

Grumpy
05-21-2008, 07:45 AM
I love what the companies are doing with modern materials & the price ranges:biggrin:

Grumpy

BuckeyeRick
05-23-2008, 03:06 PM
Can you describe the differences between the two? Are you fishing smaller flies? Thanks.

ALflygirl
05-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Rick
sorry for the delayed response! Sometimes I forget that I have posted an answer and forget to go back and check. After casting the II 4 wt, the 6 just feels like a clunker for lack of a technical term. The 6 wt is a tip flex and the 4 a mid flex. I was using my 6 for bigger flies but I may just start trying everything on the 4 wt and see what happens. The 4 is just much easier for me. All of our more experienced fishing buddies tell me that I should have bought a mid flex to start with. I was following their advice on my first rod, so the way I see it ...it's their fault! :biggrin:
I hope this helps you!

BuckeyeRick
05-28-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm replacing a Scott S3 6wt because I broke the tip twice and I have never broken a rod before. I think the tips on fast rods are just too fragile. Like you I love my lighter rods. I have a 3 wt and can cast it all day long. I'm going to test the 6 wt in the Clearwater II, the TFO Pro, the Orvis TLS, and the Sage VT2. I'm really hoping the Sage is not my favorite. Thanks for the info.