PDA

View Full Version : Bears near campsite 18

BlueRaiderFan
05-20-2008, 08:59 PM
trails near 18 are closed due to agressive bear. I was going to park at Treemont and hike into 18, but I think I'll try above Elkmont.

g8rb8phisher92
05-20-2008, 09:28 PM
What is it about that area....several years ago it was closed down after a bear chased a jogger just above the institute.....I have been on that trail from Tremont over to 18 and there are places where there is really no place to go if you met up with one of those furry things.

TroutAssassin
05-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Where are you finding the latest closings and information? Is it the NPS website? That is the website i usually check, but it doesnt say anything about backcountry 18 being closed. I was wondering if there was another site or something.

Dukee
05-20-2008, 11:16 PM
I was fishing the Little River several years ago just below Elkmont when a lady was found dead with a bear in attendence, never did hear for sure if it was ruled a true Bear attack, I think she was just a mile or two above the campground on the river trail.I saw all the rangers going by but did not know what happened until later that night. That was around 94-96 I think.

fishNlady
05-21-2008, 12:58 AM
I was fishing the Little River several years ago just below Elkmont when a lady was found dead with a bear in attendence, never did hear for sure if it was ruled a true Bear attack, I think she was just a mile or two above the campground on the river trail.I saw all the rangers going by but did not know what happened until later that night. That was around 94-96 I think.

That happened in May 2000. Glenda Bradley was her name. She was my son's 4th grade teacher. Tragic. She was a wonderful lady. It was ruled a bear attack. It happened on the Little River Trail at the intersection with Goshen Prong Trail.

tngreg
05-21-2008, 11:28 AM
http://www.tennesseehistory.com/archive/GSMNPbear.html

Link to the story.

buzzmcmanus
05-21-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm all bent out of shape now. What's this world coming to. Someone is suing the government because they didn't adaquately worn them that there might be dangerous animals in the woods!?! What do people want, someone to hold their hand and walk them through life. Maybe anytime someone sees a bear, we need to close the whole park so there is no chance of anyone being hurt. Just think, that $3.5 million dollars would be going to park improvements and not someone pocket.

Sorry for the rant.. I'm done now.

BlueRaiderFan
05-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Where are you finding the latest closings and information? Is it the NPS website? That is the website i usually check, but it doesnt say anything about backcountry 18 being closed. I was wondering if there was another site or something.

18 isn't closed, but the trails on the East side are (I forget which ones). I was told this over the phone. If you are going to 18, take some bear pepper spray because he is nearby (within a mile or two).

TroutAssassin
05-21-2008, 04:02 PM
18 isn't closed, but the trails on the East side are (I forget which ones). I was told this over the phone. If you are going to 18, take some bear pepper spray because he is nearby (within a mile or two).
Thanks BlueRaiderFan for the information:smile: . I was planning to go to up around 18 this later this week but not now. A hungry bear is the last thing i feel like running into.:eek:

Gerry Romer
05-21-2008, 04:13 PM
I was coming out of Metcalf Bottoms a couple weeks ago, headed out the Wears Cove entrance to the park when I noticed a bear about 20 yards or so off the road. This was about 8 in th eevening. I stopped, he stopped... He wasn't too interested in me so he just went on foraging.

Never saw or heard any report of this "activity" even though a few other folks stopped to watch.

Sometimes they just need to eat...

Gerry Romer
05-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Now that I think about it... maybe that's the real reason they closed Little River Road between the Y and Metcalf for a couple weeks. Had nothing to do with fixing the Indian head... it was just the Park Service covering up all that ferocious bear activity at Metcalf Bottoms :rolleyes:

Gerry

BlueRaiderFan
05-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks BlueRaiderFan for the information:smile: . I was planning to go to up around 18 this later this week but not now. A hungry bear is the last thing i feel like running into.:eek:

Yeah, I cahnged my to #24. Will be there May 31st-June1st.

BlueRaiderFan
05-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Now that I think about it... maybe that's the real reason they closed Little River Road between the Y and Metcalf for a couple weeks. Had nothing to do with fixing the Indian head... it was just the Park Service covering up all that ferocious bear activity at Metcalf Bottoms :rolleyes:

Gerry

Hey! It prolly really happened by golly! :biggrin:

Speckleman5
05-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Ran into 2 coming out of 53 this past weekend in the middle of the day right behind 5 other people...about 10 minutes....2 big bears too, right around the unmaintained campsite...everyone be careful they are on the prowl

sammcdonald
05-21-2008, 08:52 PM
it was turkeypen and schoolhouse gap that were closed...open now with warnings posted........
kittle river road now open all the way...with flagman near the indian's head

BlueRaiderFan
05-21-2008, 08:53 PM
it was turkeypen and schoolhouse gap that were closed...open now with warnings posted........
kittle river road now open all the way...with flagman near the indian's head

Yep, that was them...

2weightfavorite
05-26-2008, 11:52 AM
It's weird but when a bear sticks around in one place for more than a day or two hes labeled a "problem". What if he's just found a spot where the other bears havent eaten all the acorns yet, or maybe a mighty tastey ant hill or something.

As far as the park getting sued millions for dangerous animals and not beiong warned... I'm not so sure the omeny would have been used for improvements in the park anyway... Im not quite sure what they do with the millions in grants, gifts, and donations they get every year, but maybe they could start with opening some of the bathrooms that are always closed. If they haven't noticed people still use those closed bathrooms... Only now they go behind them instead of in them. watch your step around all closed bathrooms!:eek:

BlueRaiderFan
05-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Any bear over 100lbs is a "problem" in my opinion! :biggrin: From what I understand, this bear was following people. They don't know why. My guess is someone threw the thing a stinkin' breakfast bar at some point and now it will pay with it's life. I wish people would just leave nature to it's own devices. It's a lot better for everyone.

mora521
05-26-2008, 08:24 PM
I always consider it a bonus to see a bear when I fish.Anybody here ever been up Marks Creek?There is always lots of bear and hog sign up it,and about 20 feet up from the two poplars that fell on the hog trap is a big tree that looks like a very big bears scratching post,with claw marks all over it.I would much rather see a bear than another fisherman on a creek I'm fishing.The only thing that has ever attacked me in the mountains was a bunch of yellowjackets up near Goshen Prong,after I stuck my melon into the nest they were building in a laurel bush that hung over the creek.Got stung on both sides of the face and both wrists.A little Copenhagen juice took the pain out of the stings,and going back to fetch my rod was scarier than jumping out of a C 130 at night!

sammcdonald
05-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Im not quite sure what they do with the millions in grants, gifts, and donations they get every year, but maybe they could start with opening some of the bathrooms that are always closed. If they haven't noticed people still use those closed bathrooms... Only now they go behind them instead of in them. watch your step around all closed bathrooms!

2weitght...

you are really not very informed as to the park budget...i don't wanna be nasty, but you should really not make budget statements until you learn a little about this park. how much have you contributed by joining the association? by doing trail work? by doing volunteer work? cleaning up after the visitors? how do you think we run a park with no fees?
sam

BlueRaiderFan
05-27-2008, 08:08 PM
I always consider it a bonus to see a bear when I fish.Anybody here ever been up Marks Creek?There is always lots of bear and hog sign up it,and about 20 feet up from the two poplars that fell on the hog trap is a big tree that looks like a very big bears scratching post,with claw marks all over it.I would much rather see a bear than another fisherman on a creek I'm fishing.The only thing that has ever attacked me in the mountains was a bunch of yellowjackets up near Goshen Prong,after I stuck my melon into the nest they were building in a laurel bush that hung over the creek.Got stung on both sides of the face and both wrists.A little Copenhagen juice took the pain out of the stings,and going back to fetch my rod was scarier than jumping out of a C 130 at night!

They say most guys quit jump school on the first night jump. I wouldn't know, I was smart enough to stay on the ground!:biggrin:

mora521
05-27-2008, 10:45 PM
No,most of the drop outs were on the 34 foot towers in my class.:smile:

BlueRaiderFan
05-27-2008, 11:04 PM
No,most of the drop outs were on the 34 foot towers in my class.:smile:

That sounds like a good place to quit too lol.

sammcdonald
05-30-2008, 08:18 PM
currently the only b/c campsites closed are 15 and 53 due to bears

Dukee
05-31-2008, 03:34 PM
My first 3 jumps were night jumps if you count the fact my eyes were closed....

BlueRaiderFan
06-02-2008, 08:03 AM
My first 3 jumps were night jumps if you count the fact my eyes were closed....

Ha! I would have needed to pack a roll or two of TP!:eek: