PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the park 1st week of June

fleck
05-21-2008, 11:51 AM
I will be traveling to Gatlinburg the first week of june and was wondering if anyone can give me some good starter choices for streams to fish. I have never fished the park before so you may want to take that into consideration before your recommendations. Appreciate any help you can give.

thanks!!!

nvr2L8
05-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Fleck,

If you are coming out of Gatlinburg, I would suggest going up Highway 441 into the park, past the Sugarlands Visitors Center and stop at one of the Quiet Walkways. There is fairly quick stream access and pretty good fishing. If you get comfortable with that, go on up 441 to the Chimneys Picnic Area and fish up from there or on up to the Chimney Tops Trailhead. The higher up you go, the more you run into brook trout territory. But the Quiet Walkways are a good place to start without all the elevation change and boulder hopping that you run into as you go higher.

Give us a post and let us know how you did.

BlueRaiderFan
05-21-2008, 08:51 PM
I will be traveling to Gatlinburg the first week of june and was wondering if anyone can give me some good starter choices for streams to fish. I have never fished the park before so you may want to take that into consideration before your recommendations. Appreciate any help you can give.

thanks!!!

Try "Treemont Institute" (it's on the park map on the east side of the park). Drive to the end of the road, park in the gravel lot, take the left trail and fish it for a couple of hours and the walk back. If you are going alone, let the rangers know where you plan to go. I wouldn't try the water next to the road that's on the way to the gravel lot too much. I hear there isn't a lot of good fishing in there, but you can try once you go past the visitor center. Also, take a lunch and maybe a poncho...and a flashlight just in case :]

Rog 1
05-22-2008, 09:08 AM
I would also give Roaring Fork a try....fish the lower end at the bottom of the Motor Trail....also Greenbrier is close by....if you go here fish the upper sections.....Porter's Creek is a beautiful little stream and easy to fish.

Drugcop4
05-22-2008, 11:43 AM
What dates will you be there, I might be able to help.