PDA

View Full Version : Montana

Sequatchie
05-23-2008, 10:40 PM
Howdy, I'm planning a trip to the Yellowstone area the last week of June, unfortunately my schedule will not allow me to go later. There has been a lot of snow and I'm slightly worried about runoff conditions. Anyone have any input on what rivers might be fishing well first after runoff? I'm interested in the Bighorn and the fishing inside of Yellowstone, any ideas on these places during this time? Thanks in advance!

David Knapp
05-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Unless it gets really warm by then, the Firehole might still be fishable along with the Madison and the Gibbon (the canyon stretch above the falls can be good). Assuming they aren't too warm, those three rivers can keep you occupied for as long as you want to stay in the area, especially the Firehole. There's something addicting about that river. Don't overlook the lakes (make sure the lake you fish is open as at least some are closed until later in the summer) as they can provide a ton of awesome fishing. Check out Grebe and Cascade lakes for grayling, 'bows and cutts... Hope to see a great report when you get back. Wish I could go out there this year as it should be phenomenal!

3wt
05-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Hey, I'm also going to go to Montana from June 19-24. I too have been worried about all the snow. I have my fingers crossed!

Milton
05-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Run-off isn't a problem on the Bighorn. I was there in June a few years ago, and I remember the black caddis were hatching heavily.

-Milton