PDA

View Full Version : Orvis TLS Power Matrix????

BuckeyeRick
05-27-2008, 10:22 AM
I will be buying a 6wt rod and was wondering if anyone has experience with the TLS series? I am replacing a Scott S3. I want a 9' 4-pc. that is medium-fast or has a progressive action. I will be looking at the Clearwater II, the TFP PRO series, and the Sage VT2, all of which I have cast and liked. Right now Orvis is offering 25% off the TLS during their "Rod Swap" so I figured I'd ask. Thanks for any info.

Grumpy
05-28-2008, 08:04 AM
I gave a guy a casting lesson awhile back that had one, i was pleasantly surprised by the rod & it has an action pretty close to what you've described.
This day & time, you don''t have to have the most expensive rod out there to get a good fishing rod:eek:
It sounds as if you've studied pretty good on the decision, some good choices there, half the fun of buyinga rod is caasting them;)
Let us know how it goes.

Grumpy

PeteCz
05-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Rick, one other thing to consider is the warranty. Take a look at the three warranty programs for each rod (taken directly from their websites:
==============================
The Sage Lifetime Warranty

Every new Sage rod, blank, 3000 & 2500 series reel is covered by our lifetime, original owner warranty.

This warranty is limited to repair and replacement of the rod, blank or reel and does not cover direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or any other type of damage resulting from the use of the product.

The Orvis Fly Rod 25-Year Guarantee

Purchase an Orvis Zero G, T3, TLS, Superfine, or Clearwater rod and we will repair or replace it no matter what the reason, for a quarter of a century. Step on it, close the door on it, run over it with the car—it doesn’t matter, we’ll repair it. If we can’t repair it, we’ll choose a current rod of at least equal value to replace it. Your investment is assured for a nominal handling charge.

TFO NO-FAULT WARRANTY

Our No-Fault Warranty is for the life of the original registered owner. Send your registration card with each purchase to activate your warranty. Simply return a damaged rod with $25 for shipping & handling, and we will repair or replace your rod.

Blanks sections (as appropriate) will be replaced and returned with related hardware and finishings from broken sections. This warranty is limited to our blank, on custom TFO rods.

===================================
I have what is now an Orvis TLS (5wt) as well as a few TFO Pros (3wts) and having first hand experience with both of them (ran over the Orvis with a car; Brother-in-law stepped on the TFO), I can tell you that they definitely honor their warranty. Now you may not be as hard on your equipment as I am, but stuff happens and I'd rather have a fly rod that comes from a company that will help you out if something happens...

my $.02

BuckeyeRick
05-29-2008, 09:23 AM
I sent an e-mail to Sage asking for an explaination of whatever they were trying to say. I'll let you know.

TroutAssassin
05-29-2008, 11:02 AM
I highly recommend TFO. I own a professional series and it is the best rod for the money in my opinion. The construction of the rod is magnificent for the price. I have been pretty hard on my rod, it still looks like the day i took it home from LRO brand new. Plus the lifetime no fault warranty puts my mind at ease if something ever happened. I may sound a little bias but i have fallen in love with TFO ever since i got one.

BuckeyeRick
05-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Just got back from the fly shop. I did a side-by-side with the TFO Pro, the Sage FLi, and Orvis' TLS & Clearwater II. All were 9', 4 pc, 6 wts & I was casting a 6 wt Bass Taper. The TLS was had a mushy feel and was heavy. The other 3 rods were all very close, and the TFO is a very nice rod, but it came in 3rd. The Sage was great, but the II, with the tipflex really sang for me. The 3 really just came down to a very close personal preference. The difference between the old Clearwaters and the II's is actually amazing. The shop guys told me that the TLS' are the only Orvis series that hasn't gotten a makeover.

Again I was reminded that it is so important to cast the rod yourself with the line that you will be using. Thanks all for your feedback.

irfishing
05-30-2008, 05:25 PM
IMO the Orvis warranty can't be beat.
Replaced my rod within a week with no questions asked and only cost was UPS to get it to them.

Fishermansfly
06-23-2008, 05:54 PM
I was bothered by this thread when it started and left it for dead! Until recently I started being bothered by the thought of my expensive Z Axis breaking. So I decided to shoot some emails to Sage's warranty department.

I got a surpising answer...It appears as if the "direct or inderect use of the product" isn't actually a warranty issue but more so a liability waiver of sorts! Certain rods are covered under the the "original owner" lifetime warranty. I have both the forwarded email and the response pasted on my site if any one is interested.

http://thetroutaddiction.blogspot.com/2008/06/sage-rod-warranty.html

~Brett

irfishing
06-23-2008, 07:48 PM
The cost of repairing/replacing damaged fly rod:
Orvis--nothing except UPS to get it to them (personal experience)
Sage--$50.00 plus postage to get it to them (personal experience)
TFO-- $25.00 and I assume cost to get it to them.

Yes, I have broken two fly rods this year.

monktrout
06-23-2008, 10:44 PM
ir, You're hard on rods. Don't ask to drive my Maserati. See you soon, Monk

Brook Fan
06-24-2008, 09:09 PM
I do not own an Orvis or Sage rod but I know that my TFO has given me no reason to look anywhere else.:smile: Especially for the price.