PDA

View Full Version : Thunderhead

nvr2L8
05-27-2008, 10:53 AM
I have never read much traffic on fishing Thunderhead. Going up to Sams Creek over the weekend, Thunderhead looked like a really nice stream. Have any of you folks spent much time fishing this stream? If so, how far up and with what results?

mayday
05-27-2008, 01:36 PM
I have fished Thunderhead Prong for years and enjoy it greatly. Since it is not marked with a trail sign at Middle Prong intersection there are not many hikers either. The trail that follows closely by was called Defeat Ridge Trail and eventually enters the AT about 200 yards west of Thunderhead Mountain. According to Daniel on a fishing report, Matt Kulp informed us that Sams Creek is now open after a few years off. Sams Creek and Thunderhead used to be marked with two signs and a cable across Sams Creek (it enters Thunderhead from the east...left, going upstream). About a 1/2 mile or so above there Thunderhead gets a little steeper and you have a few trees to crawl over. Since it is a small stream with pocket water you will have fun.

---Jeff

nvr2L8
05-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback. This gives me another option for a quick trip to the Smokies (also from Maryville) that doesn't involve fishing along a road. Particularly after Lynn Camp closes. Still wake up at night crying over that one from time to time.:redface:

TroutAssassin
05-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Particularly after Lynn Camp closes. Still wake up at night crying over that one from time to time.:redface:
I feel your pain:frown: . I love lynn camp prong and find myself fishing it sometimes 2 and 3 times a week. Oh well, it will be the closest brookie water to my house when its finished.:cool:

BlueRaiderFan
05-27-2008, 09:52 PM
When are they closing Lynn Camp?

mora521
05-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Brook trout restoration project.

BlueRaiderFan
05-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Brook trout restoration project.

Yeah, but when is the last day to fish it?

TroutAssassin
05-27-2008, 11:38 PM
Blueraider, The fish out starts on June 2. Now dont take me a 100% correct on this next part, but if my memory serves me well, i may not be correct, but the stream is closed to all fishing above the cascade starting sometime in early August? I could be completely wrong though. Somebody back me up on this.

Rog 1
05-28-2008, 02:16 PM
My grandfather introduced me to Tremont and in his later years that is where we fished almost exclusively since it did not require much walking....when we did walk it was usually above the Cascades....it was only after he passed that my fishing buddy and I took off exploring Thunderhead....those first couple of big plunge pools above the parking area just look so fishy....the fishing has been consistently inconsistent....did manage a 12" brown up past Sam's Creek one October...big surprise back then....guess there will be a lot more pressure on this water once they close down Lynn Camp....maybe when they re-open Lynn Camp they will think to give Thunderhead a rest for a year.

jeffnles1
05-28-2008, 02:59 PM
My son and I fished Thunderhead a couple times when we were there in March. Very pretty stream. Didn't catch a lot of fish but it was pretty.

I'm so bummed out about Lynn Camp closing above the cascades. That is where my son caught his first (non guided) trout in the Smokeys and it's always been a very special place for us.

He's 13 now. I hope it reopens in time for us to enjoy a few more trips before he gets married and a job and all the responsibilities of adulthood that will greatly limit our time to fish together.

Maybe some day he'll take the old man up there instead of me taking him. That would be very nice.

Perhaps over the next couple years, Thunderhead will become our special place.

Jeff

mayday
05-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Lynn Camp fish-out will be June 2nd through the 14th. After the 14th it will reopen with regular regulations until September. It will then close again for the chemical introduction. NPS says it will be closed from the cascades all the way up until late spring/early summer of 2009. At that point they will reintroduce brookies and eventually open it for anglers. I am no fisheries biologist but can you imagine Lynn Camp Prong (8 1/2 miles) being a pure brook trout stream?!!! It will be fabulous. I read recently that in 1934 there was around 450 miles of waters with brook trout in them and now we are down to about 150 miles, but with the efforts of NPS and TU and other organizations this will add a world class stream which will be a gem.

----Jeff

Rog 1
05-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Does anyone have any idea how high they are going when they start poisoning the stream.....I trust this will not just be a one time thing....with all the tribs up there it is hard to believe that they will be able to clean out all the rainbows in a single application.

PeteCz
05-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Does anyone have any idea how high they are going when they start poisoning the stream.....I trust this will not just be a one time thing....with all the tribs up there it is hard to believe that they will be able to clean out all the rainbows in a single application.

Rog, that's a great questions. You would think that they would have to get them all out (including the tribs), or the rainbows would just repopulate the main stem eventually. I had read a very detailed plan for the project over a year ago, but I can't seem to find it anywhere this afternoon. Hopefully someone can dig up a link for it.

Mayday (Jeff), I'm with you. We'll never recapture the true experience of the past, but in those instances where local strains can be reintroduced with a high probability of success, why not do it? If not for us, at least for those who come after us. Its good to know that we are doing something to enhance the future, even if it means we have to suffer a bit for the next 5-7 years (or more).

After all, there are still a lot of streams to be fished in the park...now we have a reason to explore more...

Here's a good article about the project from one of the local papers:
http://www.newportplaintalk.com/story/25870

pineman19
05-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Here you go.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/upload/Sams-Creek-Report.pdf

Neal

BlueRaiderFan
05-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Blueraider, The fish out starts on June 2. Now dont take me a 100% correct on this next part, but if my memory serves me well, i may not be correct, but the stream is closed to all fishing above the cascade starting sometime in early August? I could be completely wrong though. Somebody back me up on this.

Thanks for the info. What does "fish out" mean? Can I fish it this weekend or not until June 2nd?

pineman19
05-28-2008, 07:48 PM
The link doesn't seem to be working. I have already downloaded the pdf file. If you want me to send it to you contact me at the address listed below.

Neal

pineman19@yahoo.com

TroutAssassin
05-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the info. What does "fish out" mean? Can I fish it this weekend or not until June 2nd?
You can fish any time between now and when the stream closes for good near the end of summer. Which i believe is sometime in August or September, ask somebody else to be sure. The fish out starts on June 2nd and is about a week long event. This allows fishermen to keep any and all rainbows they catch above the cascade regardless of their size. Then later on the park service will chemically kill the remaining rainbows clearing the way for the brook trout restoration in that stream. I personally probably wont fish lynn camp at all or nearly as much after the fish out. I just would feel like i was wasting my time knowing that the population would have been cut down a good bit.

TroutAssassin
05-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Mayday, i am with you though, Lynn camp will be an incredible, easy to access brook trout stream. I already cant wait till its done. I got a while to wait though:frown: