PDA

View Full Version : Best Place in the Smokey's to Catch

BlueRaiderFan
05-28-2008, 07:44 AM
a HOG? Tennessee side? NC side?

Rog 1
05-28-2008, 10:21 AM
I guess the term "hog' or "hawg" is all relative...a 10" brookie is definitely a hog in my book....from past reports and photos here the LR has produced some big browns....my personal best is a 14" brown but I have seen some that would put this little piggy to shame.....for some reason the bows just don't seem to get that big....I have caught one that measured 16" and it was classified as a hummer ada hog by my fishing buddy...

BlueRaiderFan
05-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Can you be more specific? :) Were do you think the big uns are on the little river? Or is it just random?

Rog 1
05-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Get yourself a pair of polarized sunglasses and take an afternoon and walk the road and do a little scouting.....reading through some of the older posts on this board will clue you in to where and what to look for....

BlueRaiderFan
05-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Get yourself a pair of polarized sunglasses and take an afternoon and walk the road and do a little scouting.....reading through some of the older posts on this board will clue you in to where and what to look for....

Thanks, Rog. I'll do that. I have read a couple of threads before, but I like to keep the post count up:biggrin: I'll let you know that I find out this weekend.

mora521
05-28-2008, 03:54 PM
The biggest browns I have ever caught came from the part of a creek that flows through national forest lands in NC before it empties into a dioxin polluted lake.Most of this creek is in the park.The biggest browns I have ever seen came out of Hazel creek and were caught by a sport using worms.The biggest rainbows I have caught came out of Abrams Creek,and I talked to a bait slinger in 1980 that had a stringer of five fish that were all over 20 inches long,all rainbows.Since I am allergic to people the only time I did much fishing on the main part of Little River was when the road was closed in 93 after the flood,it was surreal to fish and camp along that river for days at a time and see only road workers and gravel trucks.And the dead deer stuck up in a tree about 15 feet above the creek was wierd too.From the pictures I have seen on the net Little River from sinks to Elkmont seems to be the best bet for browns.I ain't saying nothing about where I have caught the biggest Brook trout except your boots better be made for walking.;)

BlueRaiderFan
05-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Mora,

Thanks! That was good stuf!:biggrin: I'll let you know how I do.

BlueRaiderFan
05-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Is there a trail head a guy could drive to to get to Hazel Creek? I looked on the map and didn't really see any.

Speckleman5
05-28-2008, 04:46 PM
the AT at CLingman's Dome, or Fontana Dam...if you could drive right to it it wouldn't be worth fishing:biggrin:

MBB
05-28-2008, 05:02 PM
I mostly fish in the North Carolina side. My largest brown was 15 3/4" and caught in the NC side. My largest rainbows were both 11 1/2" and one was caught in NC side and the other the TN side. My largest brook trout were 9 1/2" and caught in three separate streams in North Carolina. Interestingly enough, all of these trout and char were caught on dry flies.

Due to the PH quality, I would suspect the largest trout to be in the TN side.

BlueRaiderFan
05-28-2008, 05:09 PM
the AT at CLingman's Dome, or Fontana Dam...if you could drive right to it it wouldn't be worth fishing:biggrin:

good point.:smile:

jwebb541
05-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Deep Creek, Hazel, Abrams, and Elkmont. Everytime I fish one of these streams I feel I have a chance at something special happening and a chance is all you can ask for.

BlueRaiderFan
05-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Well I'm hitting Elkmont and one other place (probably Treemont) this weekend, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

scflyfisher
05-29-2008, 08:08 AM
I'd have to say Little River around Elkmont. I've caught 5 Browns in Little River around 14-15". I was very lucky, b/c they were all on the same day from a very small stretch of water. When I'm in town I spend a lot of my time fishing from Metcalf Bottoms up through Elkmont. There's some big fish around Metcalf, but you have to contend with the crowd to fish there. I have definitely seen more big fish on Little River than any other stream I ahve fished in the park, I just haven't caught any of the true monsters. They seem to be smarter than me, which isn't saying much.

I have never fished Hazel, but have heard great things about it.

Matt

BlueRaiderFan
05-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Man, I am glad I started this thread. It's given me some good info. I just bought a new Orvis BS III small arbor and I can't wait to use it this weekend!

TroutDude
05-29-2008, 04:19 PM
I'd also go with Little River around Metcalf for big browns. I hooked a big one just above Metcalf the weekend of Troutfest, on a dry fly to boot - snapped my tippet knot within 5' of landing it.
If in NC I'd go with the Oconaluftee River downstream of Smokemont. I watched a massive brown in there last fall. That was one of the only good things about last years low water, I had a chance to scout of some nice honey holes.