PDA

View Full Version : Multi-purpose/species streamer rod?

MtnMike
05-31-2008, 07:51 PM
OK, a few weeks ago I messed around with throwing streamers for trout when they didn't want to seem to eat anything else. After some moderate success, I started thinking about a "streamer rod". This rod will be used for more than trout, I would probably also use it for smallmouth and I am hoping to even use it for some carp fishing. So, I'm wondering 6wt., 7wt, or 8wt? Also, any particular rods that you would consider. I have a premium trout rod and I will not be spending $600 for this rod, I'm thinking more along the lines of $200-250. I have thought about the new smallmouth version of the bass rod from Sage, but I am afraid that I would be handicapped by the shorter length especially mending line. I saw some carp on the lake this morning while watching a t-ball game. I went back to take a shot at them this evening with no success. But I think I could be interested in that, if I can figure out what they will eat. I appreciate any advice from anyone who has experience chasing these "other" fish. What one rod would you choose for smallmouth, carp, and streamers for trout?

billyspey
05-31-2008, 09:12 PM
the sage bass rods are 9 and 10 wt rods 7 wt would be a god comprise wt. i use a 691 sage xp and a sage 89o-3 rplx but most 6 wt.

diamonddave7676
06-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Well for streamers for trout I wouldnt go much higher then a 6wt even though a 7wt would be good also. A 6 wt would make a nice light weight bass rod as well. As far as carp possibly a 7wt or 8wt would be best. I have caught several carp using wooly buggers on the bottom but they are some of the spookiest fish you will possibly ever catch.

Grumpy
06-01-2008, 11:29 PM
I've been throwing a 7 weight for years, 300 gr sink tip & even tried 6X & midges on it one day for the heck of it.
Striper,skipjack, drum, buffalo, carp, bass & some big trout have all been handeld with ease:cool:

Grumpy

BuckeyeRick
06-02-2008, 08:52 AM
I got a chance to cast the Sage Bass rods. I have a feeling that mending would be hard to do. These rods are great for tossing huge, wind-resistant flies, but they are basically a one-trick pony.

I would suggest a 6 wt. medium-fast to fast rod. The faster the rod, the better to punch steamers through the wind. I just purchased an Orvis Clearwater II 6wt, 4 piece, tip flex rod for $189.00. I tested it against the Sage FLI, the TFO Pro, and the Orvis TLS. The II and the FLi tied and for $189 vs $315, I went with the II. I have been casting it all weekend and am very impressed. It is lightweight, 3.25 oz, and still has a good backbone. I have thrown large foam poppers (2" x 1/2" foam cylinders) & rabbit strip subsurface flies, both on 1/0 hooks with no trouble. Last night the wind was up & the rod still performed well. I fish for SM and Carp and I plan on using it for Steelhead.

Be sure to test any rod before you buy it - it is a very personal thing.

Troutman
06-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Although I'm not a big fan of of fast rods, (I like the slower, tougher fiberglass rods), for the price range of under $250, the TFO TiCrX 7wt is a pretty good big streamer, popper all around decent bass, carp and big trout rod. A guide friend of mine uses these for his clients out of the drift boat so they can cast far enough. No -fault warranties may be needed when a big carp snaps the graphite rod like a toothpick!

sworp
06-04-2008, 04:53 AM
I'm a big fan of the TFO line and really like my 9' 5wt TiCr 4pc. If I were going for the multi purpose rod, I'd take it up a weight and stick with 9' TiCr.
- sworp