PDA

View Full Version : frog's fanny

2weightfavorite
06-01-2008, 09:08 AM
So I was in the shop the other day and was looking at floatants. Now I have been an orvis super float paste guy for a long time now. However, how does the frog's Fanny powder work? I read how to apply it, but how does it perform? Any info would be most appreciated. Thanks

TroutAssassin
06-01-2008, 10:35 AM
I know people that use it. It works great but can be a hassle to apply at times with the brush. I stick with gels for speed and convenience.

tire guy
06-01-2008, 10:56 AM
I use it and like it. I re-apply when ever I dry off my fly. I guess it is a matter of what you get used to. I fish Clinch and GSMNP.

brownhunter
06-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Bottom line, it is the BEST on the market. It will make your fly ride extremely high, and the brush in NOT a hassle. You brush it on, and blow or rub it in, and your good to go.

Grumpy
06-02-2008, 08:05 AM
When 1st introduced, it was touted for use on CDC flies being it wouldn't clog up the CDC, naturally it works on all dries.
I still use Loon paste(gel) as my primary flotant & the powder for those quick fixes.

Grumpy

bugg
06-10-2008, 09:57 PM
give it a try, i think you'll like it

Hal M
06-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Has anyone tried Water Shed. It is supposed to be a permanent water proofing that you apply to your dry flies and let sit over night to dry? Is it any good?

Hal

Gerry Romer
06-11-2008, 02:27 PM
An additional plus for the Frog's Fanny:

It has an iridescent quality that actually helps increase the visibility of your fly in low light conditions. I like to really rub it into my emerger patterns to help enhance the appearance of a gas bubble.

tennswede
06-11-2008, 03:42 PM
I still got your magazine. I'm sorry I haven't been to the last two meetings. I will bring it later in the year. If you need it quicker email and I'll mail it to you.

ahlstedt@knology.net

Thanks,

Fishermansfly
06-11-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm with some of the comments on here....I personally belive that this stuff adds very little or no floatability to the fly! It's a better drying agent than it is anything allowing the soaked fly to ride higher by removing water! Don't get me wrong it's good for some applications but it reaches it's limitations when the fly has been used for any length of time! I find that it works best by wringing out the fly, applying the shake, and then wringing it out again!

I know this is gonna sound confusing but it is good stuff!

My suggestion is by the Orvis dry shake, to dry the fly, then apply Dry Magic gel...LRO sells the both of um...it's some awesome stuff and will just about last a lifetime!

~Brett

danp413
06-11-2008, 07:56 PM
I prefer using some kind of gel or paste before I start fishing the fly and then using the frog fanny when it starts sinking. I accidentally left the FF at home recently, and had used up the last of my gel. Luckily I still had some Shimazaki in my car, which is what I used before I was introduced to FF. It does not last near as long as the FF does. The FF also lasts much longer if you pretreat with a gel.

I'm curious about the "permanant" floatant as well.

appalachian angler
06-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Gotta luv that magic Fairy Fly dust! An absolute must if you like to fish CDC drys.

aa

Gerry Romer
06-18-2008, 02:45 PM
A very interesting and informative article by Darrel Martin on the use and history of floatants appears in the latest issue of Fly Rod & Reel ( July/October 2008 ). Among the recommendations: two spray coats of Scotchgard Outdoor Water Shield allowed to dry thoroughly before fishing, Loon's Hydrostop (dip in and allow to dry overnight for a "permanent" waterproofing), gels or pastes thoroughly rubbed into the fly prior to adding a silicate powder, a spot of paste rubbed into the thorax and powder immediately added to simulate an emergence gas bubble...

the list goes on.

Here's a link to the article. There are additional links at flyrodreel.com for a complete listing of floatants on the market that are discussed in the article.

http://flyrodreel.com/Fly-Rod-and-Reel-Online/July-October-2008/Staying-on-Top/