PDA

View Full Version : Tellico/North

Shaggy
06-01-2008, 12:12 PM
It had been a while since my last trip to Tellico, so I decided to head up and try some new waters. I waited until late afternoon to miss the morning frenzy. I went to the North River first and managed a small wild rainbow. I then headed to the main river about an hour or so before dark. I found a nice spot and all of a sudden there were some nice hatches coming off. Not sure what they were, but they were big flies. I tied on a trusty adams and landed another wild rainbow, big one too-for a wild bow, about 9 - 10 inches. After this I caught about 4 stockers, the biggest was a nice 14-15 incher. Of all the days to forget my camera, this was the one, but you will have to take my word for it. I am finally being rewarded for all the trips to Tellico where I got skunked.

2weightfavorite
06-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Way to go up there finally! Hey, what did u see hatching?? I've been pretty disappointed with the hatches there earleir this spring, and was wondering if you saw stoneflies or mayflies?? As for the size of your wild fish, that doesn't suprise me. It seems for some reason that the Tellico and its tributaries holds on average a slightly larger bow than that of the little river. Well, thats my opinion at least... everyone has one, right!? How far up the North did u go? i know about 2 miles or so past the shortcut road there's a huge pull off on the right with some fire rings and such. If youhaven't fished from there up def try it sometime. One of my fva stretches on the whole stream.

jwebb541
06-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Nice Job!! I love that area and have fished it numerous times. Those stockers are stockers but are a blast on a fly. Also always a chance for a trophey brown.

Grumpy
06-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Thanks Shaggy, you just made me realize that i haven't been there this spring:frown: man i love that area.

Grumpy

psnapp
06-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Ventured up to Tellico today for first time this year. Fished a few min above Walnut Grove and nada. Moved to the "skinny" water above hatchery and fished a tandem -- Copper John below a #14 BHPT. Caught a beautiful 15" bow that appeared to have held over for a good while. Caught several wild rainbows -- all small. Ticket for me was hitting the deeper pockets for about a 4' drift. All were taken on #14 BHPT. I saw only 1 mayfly, and only a handful of caddis.