PDA

View Full Version : Depressing

BlueRaiderFan
06-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Well, I had it all plaanned out to go to campsite 24 above Elkmont, but we decided to try to stay at Elkmont and fish above Treemont. We hit the river just after the nature center and later drove to the end and walked about 1/4 of a mile up the trail and fished there for a bit, but we didn't catch squat. I caught one little shad of some sort and that was it. I don't k now if back country is the only way to catch 'em or if I just am that bad at finding and catching them. I think I may get a guide from LRO to help me get my skills up and show me some spots.

nvr2L8
06-01-2008, 03:08 PM
BRF,
We've all had our off days. Never give up. The guide idea is a good one if you don't mind forking over the loot.

Hang in there, man; there's better days ahead.

TroutAssassin
06-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Blueraider, just keep your head up. It could have been a number of things that could have gone wrong(could have been behind somebody, ect.). If you think you are having trouble reading a stream, finding fish, or whatever, let me know next time you are in town. I fish the park 3-4 times a week and would be more than glad to help in any way.

Brook Fan
06-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Blue Raider
Just keep trying until yesterday the GSMNP was as frustrating to me as you. My best accomplishment in the Mnts prior to yesterday was 1 minnow with red gills and many underwater visit thanks to clumsy feet. I still have the clumsy feet (2 drinches yesterday within 15 minutes).

It took me 3 months of fishing at lest once a week in the Clinch to get to where I knew the feel of a fish, how long I had to set the hook, and develop a half way decent presentation.

I also know that wild ones are a little different and I may go a long time before the next fish comes out of the GSMNP.

BlueRaiderFan
06-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Guys thanks for the words on encouragement. I guess I just need to practice. Trout Assassin, I'll do it...God knows I need the guidance.

JimmyC
06-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Gotta get up high, bro!

BlueRaiderFan
06-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Gotta get up high, bro!

Yeah, I guess I'm going to have to cammando and go back country by myself.

jeffnles1
06-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Getting a guide or fishing with someone who is familiar with a given body of water is a great way to knock months off of the learning curve. The first time my boy and I fished the Smokies, we hired a guide and I consider it some fo the best money we ever spent. I told him we were less interested in getting "put on a bunch of fish" than we were in learning HOW to fish the mountains. He obliged. We caught fish, but he spent more time teaching us about the water and answering my endless questions than he did pointing us to fish. This is precicely what I asked for. I'm sure any guide would have done the same thing (his tip depends on it :smile: ).

The rest of the time, we've fished it alone and have not been skunked yet. We've had a few "one fish" days but just the information of reading the water, was priceless for us.

Fishing with one of the board members who knows the water will accomplish the same thing for a lot less money (I'd gladly offer to pay gas and dinner/beer after fishing. It would be money well spend and, unlike with a guide, you'll make a friend in the process.

Jeff

BlueRaiderFan
06-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Jeff,

Good points...I bought abook off of amazon and if that doesn't work, I'll hire a guide. I met a guy on here who knows a few things that has offered as well as one or two other guys that say they'll show me the ropes...Man, this sport ain't easy!

jwebb541
06-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Hang in there. I've been fly fishing for years and usely do well but I still have days that leave me scratching my head and changing flies.

BlueRaiderFan
06-01-2008, 10:45 PM
JW,

I just couldn't belive how easy it is to get hung up on the rocks, let alone the trees. I kept taking the slack out, but the water was so fast that once it got near a rock that it could get hung on, I had to recast the line, so I never got any opportunites to the side or behind me..I guess I was doing it right because when I just let it go, I got hung up. Those are some strong currents up at Treemont. I guss I need to hike in next time as well. The stuff by the road seems fished out.

jwebb541
06-01-2008, 11:08 PM
I live outside of Gatlinburg and the wife and I usually get to the park fairly often. You would be welcome to join us sometime for some fishing.

BlueRaiderFan
06-02-2008, 07:48 AM
I live outside of Gatlinburg and the wife and I usually get to the park fairly often. You would be welcome to join us sometime for some fishing.

Hey, thanks! :smile:

Shaggy
06-02-2008, 12:00 PM
JW,

I just couldn't belive how easy it is to get hung up on the rocks, let alone the trees. I kept taking the slack out, but the water was so fast that once it got near a rock that it could get hung on, I had to recast the line, so I never got any opportunites to the side or behind me..I guess I was doing it right because when I just let it go, I got hung up. Those are some strong currents up at Treemont. I guss I need to hike in next time as well. The stuff by the road seems fished out.

Nymph fishing is very difficult for me as well in the small streams. That is why I only fish dries in them. I used to get skunked every time at Tellico and the first few times I fished in the park. I got some free "lessons" from a friend as well as some great advice here about casting and such, now I catch a few every time out:biggrin: Nothing spectacular yet, but slowly getting better! I still spook alot of fish also, gotta be sneaky, which is hard to do when you are 6' 3" 240 lbs.

BlueRaiderFan
06-02-2008, 12:20 PM
These were dries! They were floating o.k., but the current kept pulling them under the rocks! :mad: I'm glad I learned how to tie a few flies, because I lost about $20 worth retail! If I tie them, they cost about 50-75 cents. They don't look as pretty, but they work.

Redfish62
06-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Some times it just does not work out. Sounds like you were on the middle prong. It has been getting a lot of action lately and I have found the fish are getting a little shy about hitting flies lately. Try the west prong I did well there this week end and that was with my 7 year old Son with me throwing rocks and splashing around. Elk hair caddis got the best results. I go at least once a week would be happy to meet you there one evening.

BlueRaiderFan
06-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Redfish,

Thanks for the invite. I may take you up on it one day. Where you fishing from the road, or did you hike back?

Redfish62
06-02-2008, 03:11 PM
I fished from the parking lot on the road to cades cove. Some times I hike to camp sight 18. I very seldom see any one else on the stream there were some hikers this weekend but not much. Usauly do well there lots of small bows.Did have a few nice 5 inchers.

I go just about every Wednesday afternoon.

Your welcome

Rog 1
06-02-2008, 03:56 PM
The larger water is just like the small streams...think about where the fish are supposed to be, pick out the best location to fish that area and be sneaky getting into position....sometimes this will mean having to go back down and cross over to the other side....another problem with larger water is spooking fish in the lower end of the pools...when they take off it is usually upstream and this tends to spook those fish as well....and don't just limit yourself to just nymphs when thinking below the surface....try some wet flies or soft hackles....toss them upstream and generally follow the speed and flow of the current with your rod tip....keep an eye on your leader or the end of your flyline....often you will see your line stop, twitch or head upstream...generally an indication of a take....even if you are fishing mainly dries we all have had times when a dry will get sucked under and have a fish hit it.....

BlueRaiderFan
06-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Rog,

Thanks for the info. I will try and use your advice on my next trip.

David Knapp
06-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Blueraider, stop by LRO and I'll be glad to show you some spots on a map you might want to try out...

BlueRaiderFan
06-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks! I need the help!