PDA

View Full Version : Snake Guards

MikeRob
06-06-2008, 11:38 PM
I don't know if anything like this exists but I think it might not be a bad investment. After a recent close encounter with a copperhead (I almost stepped right on his head while walking down a trail) I thought, "does anyone make a snake guard that goes over your shin and the top of your shoe kinda like a gravel guard. It would need to be lightweight and nonbinding. I know that posionous snake bite here in the Smokies is unlikely but it would really stink to get bitten several miles from the car especially if you are alone which is how I fish most of the time. If anyone knows of anything like this let me know.

buzzmcmanus
06-07-2008, 10:18 AM
yea, they make something called snake chaps that cover the top of your boot and your calf. I have a pair, never wear them. They are hot and uncomfortable. I would rather deal with being bit by a poisonous snake than bother with wearing them on a regular basis, that's how much I can't stand them. Any place like Cabelas or BPS carries them.

mmorgan135
06-09-2008, 01:02 AM
yea, they make something called snake chaps that cover the top of your boot and your calf. I have a pair, never wear them. They are hot and uncomfortable. I would rather deal with being bit by a poisonous snake than bother with wearing them on a regular basis, that's how much I can't stand them. Any place like Cabelas or BPS carries them.

Yep, purchased a pair of full length chaps,that went all the way to your upper thigh, to wear during turkey season and early bow season in middle TN, where the property we had leased had some nasty populations of snakes. They were hot, stiff, and uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time. I have seen the gaiters that only go up to about the middle of your calf, but have not personally worn them. They would seem the most reasonable of the two, especially in the summer. I have also seen boots, I think made by Rocky Boots, that are snakeproof but never worn any.

MikeRob
06-09-2008, 06:26 AM
After doing some research it looks like my best bet anywhere that I am concerned about snake bite (upper abrams, or anywhere >1mile in the backcountry) is to just wear thick socks under my waders. The only product for the snake bite prevention I could find was the gurards like you guys were talking about and I don't think I would wear those unless I was walking through the tall grass in S. Texas or somewhere like that, not in the GSMNP. I'm not that concerned about bite protection I was just wondering if there was something that could help that you wouldn't really know it was there I would buy it and wear it. Now that I think of it though we may be wearing more protection than we think we are because a snakes fangs are only so long and a copperhead has some of the shorter ones and they have to go through a wading boot, the stocking of the wader, and another sock except for maybe in the summer for me.

buzzmcmanus
06-09-2008, 03:55 PM
just a little snake information

http://www.tennsnakes.org/

Maurer
06-09-2008, 05:23 PM
I would think a walking/wading/hiking stick in which you could use to sweep any likely looking spots would be a good idea. They fold up are light weight, plus you can use them to move snakes out of the way.