PDA

View Full Version : Green Weenie

Brook Fan
06-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Taking the plunge and going green:biggrin:

I have heard nothing but good things about the Green Weenie and I would like to add this fly to my collection. LRO has two options for the Green Weenie a bead head version and a non bead head. For my 1st attempt to use one which would you recommend and what sizes do you stay away from (to small or to big).

Also most of the Green Weenie action I have read about is in the mountain streams can the green weenie be effective in tail waters also?

TroutAssassin
06-09-2008, 10:40 PM
As far as size, the only size they carry is a #12 at LRO. I havent tried a BH version. The bluegill and carp like them too.

scflyfisher
06-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Brook Fan,

I'm partial to the non-bead variety. I can fish them up close to the surface, but if I want to get it down I just put on some split shot and its just as good as the bead head IMO. Fish it alone or drop it off a dry, it simply doesn't matter. If I could only have one fly for the next 3-4 months it would definitely be a green weenie. I was out this past weekend with a buddy and we found a huge rainbow that we fished for a little while. While we didn't catch it, we threw quite a few different flies at that fish. The green weenie was the only fly that the fish even paid attention to. The fish swam up to it almost bumping it with its nose, and turned away after a few seconds. While they don't always bite, that fly seems to draw more attention than anything else this time of year.

Matt

Brook Fan
06-10-2008, 12:03 PM
scflyfisher and TroutAssassin

Thanks for the information and I think I will go ahead and order a few tonight when I get home.

appalachian angler
06-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Why not tie your own? This is the easiest fly in the box to tie. You can even put a few wraps of lead under the body to help get the fly down. Someone at LRO will get you all the materials and tools you need to start tying this little gem...a vey minimal investment. This will help you build a little confidence at the vice and lead to further tying adventures!

aa

Brook Fan
06-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Appalachian angler
I just received my Green weenie and I can see that it would be an easier fly to learn to tye. I'm hoping to get a vice this weekend so I can start my journey but I have tied a night crawler looking thing without a vice for a start. I'm hoping to try it out in some warm water soon.

EggMcTrout
06-25-2008, 09:53 PM
The Green Weenie is one of the whole reasons I got back into tying flies. I can churn one out in a minute or two. I prefer the bead heads just because I never have fished them anywhere but "down low". I highly recommend the beginner fly tying class at LRO. The wife sent me to the class as a Christmas present and the first fly you learn to tie is the illustrious and unbeatable Green Weenie.