PDA

View Full Version : What type of line do you use?

danp413
06-11-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm not referring to brand names, but to how the weight is distributed. I've been fishing WF's since I started, but now I'm curious as to whether it would be beneficial to try other types. I fish mostly in the park, but would like to do some warm water fly fishing, and tailwaters. I currently have 3, 5, and 6 wt lines, all wf.

Thanks.

BuckeyeRick
06-12-2008, 06:54 AM
I use a WF on my 3wt, and Bass Tapers on my 6 and 8 wts. On my fast rod, a 5wt, I use the Mastery Headstart which acts like a 5-1/2 wt. I like to throw larger flies and the more front-loaded lines just feel better to me.

gmreeves
06-12-2008, 08:47 AM
I think that most of the reason front loaded tapers seem to feel better to most people is that rod manufacturers market faster is better. They make these cannon sticks that don't load properly with the line weight written on them. Yes they cast good with 40-50 feet of line out and beyond because there is enough line out to properly load the rod. For fishing around the southeast, unless you are on a major tailwater the majority of your casting will or should be less than 30 feet. I would say 90% of my casts inside the park are less than 10 feet. In order to turn over the leader with 5-10 feet of line out I usually need to over load the rod by at least a line weight. When fishing ponds or larger streams/rivers with the same rod, I will usually use the line weight recommended by the manufacturer. The line is just as important as the rod in my opinioin and you have to find a line that fits your rod for the conditions that you are going to be fishing. Don't limit yourself to what the manufacturer puts on the label.

Troutman
06-12-2008, 02:12 PM
I use DT (444 Peach) lines on my trout rods and bass bug taper WF (Rio Clouser) lines for warmwater.
The DT peach lines are not overweighted and cast slower action rods great. The BB tapers handle streamers and poppers much easier

danp413
06-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the responses so far. GMR, I agree with what you are saying. I learned from Stan Smartt to put 6 WT line on my 5 WT rod (TFO rod). I still have a reel with 5 WT line on it in case I want to fish some heavier flies. The next line I will be purchasing will be for a new bamboo rod.

Troutman, you've given me advice more than once, thank you very much. This message board is such a great thing. I hope LRO has all kinds of line I can try out.

I'm still interested in more responses. I know there is a lot to be learned from all the different people on this board.

Grumpy
06-13-2008, 07:23 AM
I like DT for the small streams & WF on the tailwaters. The only reason i use DT on the small streams , they get a lot of abuse from different things & i can turn them around to use the other end, now that i think about it, i don't get to fish the small streams enough to wear a line out:frown: dang!

Grumpy

gmreeves
06-13-2008, 08:52 AM
What bamboo rod are you purchasing?

danp413
06-13-2008, 03:25 PM
I purchased a 9' Heddon #20 - 9 - 2 1/2 F - HCH or D. It's a three piece with two tips, and Stan Smartt made an extra handle that allows me to use only a mid section and tip to make a 7' rod. The 7' casts a 6 WT pretty well, but I need something heavier for the 9'. Stan said it was a 7 WT rod.