PDA

View Full Version : waders

monktrout
06-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Byron or Paula, I'm curious about Patagonia waders. I notice that you don't carry them anymore. I'm starting to look for another pair of waders and have been real happy with other Patagonia items(SST jacket). Possibly you could order them or you may have other reasons for not carrying them. You can respond here or email me at : forhscc@yahoo.com Thanks Mike

D-Drake
06-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Mike,

If you end up deciding to go with Patagonia waders we can definitely order them for you. We have trimmed our Patagonia selection as a result of economics. They just didn't sell as well as other brands we carry.

As long as we are able to get the items, we are happy to special order nearly anything.

Thanks!
Daniel

monktrout
06-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Daniel, Thanks. When I'm coming that way I will give you a call. Mike

Sage
06-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Monk,
I loved my Pat. waders for the first 6 months, then not so much. They started leaking something awful. I've already sent them back and am waiting for a reply from them. I've heard good reports about their warranty procedures, so I'm hopeful. In the mean time I picked up a pair of Simms at LRO, had them 3 months or so and have been more satisfied with fit, feel, performance, features, and durability than with the Pat's. I fish hard and cover a lot of ground no matter where I'm at, so that could have something to do with the leaks, don't know.

pmike
06-17-2008, 11:43 PM
...but a couple of years ago I recall having read an article in which various waders and brands of waders were reviewed. One factor that was considered was the effect of bug repellants such as deet. The "Pat" waders were consider top notch with an exception to this. While they suggested that if at all possible you should avoid getting deet on any waders, it seemed to have little if any effect on Simms but was considered very detrimental to the Patagonias.

Now this was at least a couple of years ago and perhaps it is no longer an issue, but figured I would mention it just the same. I also will admit to owning a pair of Simm's o,der version "Guide Weights". In fact I just had them repaired by Simms and it cost about $50.00 with shipping. I also bought a pair of new waders from LRO to use while the Simms were in the shop. The new waders I bought are Cloudveil and thus far are incredible. They are lighter than my Simms and incredibly comfortable, lotsa nice features such as shaped feet and multiple layers of fabric for durability. Got them at a closeout price too!

Mike

monktrout
06-18-2008, 07:22 AM
Sage and Pmike. Thanks guys for your input. It really helps in my decision making. I am having second thoughts about the Patagonia waders. I have an older pair of Orvis Silver Label's. They are the most comfortable waders I have ever owned. After five years the feet are wearing out. My newer waders are Simms Guide waders. They leaked after a year. Also cost me about $50 to get them fixed. I might consider the Cloudveil. Looks like Mike is real happy with his. The deet issue can be a big deal if you are destination fishing. The flying critters out west and due north can ruin your fishing if you are without deet. I don't use it in East TN. I don't travel fish much these days anyway. Fishin' is good close to home.

Maybe others have ideas about the best waders. Right now I have been happiest with the Orvis Silver Label. Don't know how they hold up for bushwhackers. Monk