PDA

View Full Version : Chimney Tops 6/14-15/08 report

jzimmerman
06-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Well it's official I have FINALLY caught all of the different types of trout the GSMNP has to offer. It was more or less just getting to the right location to catch a brookie.

But as for the report... Saturday I fished and areas near chimney tops with a co worker from denso and we did fairly well. we caught some were in the upper teens. Two being good browns, one being a brookie, and the other rainbows. We use a mix of flies the main key ended up going small 16 or 18 a staying with a yellow or kaki color fly.

Today I went to the same general area by myself and ended up with about the same number of fish but 6 were brookies and the rest were bows with the same fly selection.

BlueRaiderFan
06-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Congrats! I haven't made it to the Tops yet.

jzimmerman
06-15-2008, 11:27 PM
Oh and the picture thats by my name is my first brookie that I caught today. Yeah the reason that I went back today is that I didn't catch the one the day before Mike did.

flyfshn
06-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Just curious, when you guys talk about fishing the "tops", are you talking about the section of stream that runs along the picnic area or another area? I was vacationing in the GSM last week and failed to catch a brookie. My goal was to catch at least one of each, but that did not happen. Someone tole me to fish higher in the mountains and suggested the Chimney area, so I went to the picnic area about 8am and rock hopped up the stream for a while, but never caught a brookie. Caught a few bows and saw a really nice one hit my fly, but I missed it!

ijsouth
06-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Yep...you had to go higher - it's a bit confusing. You started off at the Chimneys picnic area. If you continue up the road a bit, you will see the trailhead for the Chimney Top trail - it's almost always packed with cars.

elkhaircaddis
06-18-2008, 08:07 PM
yea, it sure is crowded. Be prepared to see lots of hikers and answer questions like "Are there really fish in there?" It sure is a nice place to fish though. Tons of big brookies.

BlueRaiderFan
06-18-2008, 08:21 PM
yea, it sure is crowded. Be prepared to see lots of hikers and answer questions like "Are there really fish in there?" It sure is a nice place to fish though. Tons of big brookies.

What's a big brookie up there?

ijsouth
06-18-2008, 10:51 PM
I would say a big brookie there would be a big brookie anywhere in the park...to me, that's anything over 7 inches. A 10 inch spec would be a true trophy - I would take a ton of pictures and get a fiberglass replica of one of those. The best I've done is 8, but it was sure a skinny cuss.

Elk:

It's funny you mentioned the touristas....my oldest daughter was heckled by a #$$#$#$#$# on Road Prong last year...he just "KNEW" there were no fish in there. When she promptly caught one in front of the guy's eyes, he then belittled her for such a small fish - I guess he expected a blue marlin...you can't win in that situation.

BamaBum
06-19-2008, 11:48 PM
I too fished Chimney Tops last Saturday and Sunday. Fished from 7-10 each morning. Lots of Rainbows and one Brookie. He was little but acted big. Fish early and get a parking place at the trailhead!!! They hit anything with yellow in it last weekend.