PDA

View Full Version : West Prong ?

mtnman2888
06-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Hello all, my uncle and i are thinking of heading up the west prong trail to campsite 18 and fishing upstream of there this weekend and i was wondering what we could expect. I have never been there before but we like to get away from the crowds and figured that would be a good place to do it since it doesn't get much pressure. Also, is there any access to the stream from the bote mtn. trail upstream of 18?

While we're at it, we are also going up thunderhead upstream of sams creek, isn't there an old manway/trail that takes you up there. Thanks alot.

By the way, see y'all at LRO on friday.

Craig

JoeFred
06-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Craig,

Overall, WP Trail to campsite 18 is a reasonable hike, but the final rocky descent is a bit tricky.

Good luck,

Joe Fred

PeteCz
06-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Craig, the WP at campsite #18 is pretty small and with the amount of rain we have had lately (almost none), it will be really skinny. Last spring it had lots of little rainbows around #18, but I'm not sure how they fared during the drought.

There is no access to the stream from Bote Mtn directly. Unless you count bushwhacking several hundred feet...

The trail you're referring to is the Defeat Ridge Manway and is an unmaintained trail. It crosses Thunderhead Prong twice before taking a small side trip toward Sam's Creek and then heading back toward Thunderhead Prong. You could start fishing from a couple of different spots. Here is a capture of the trail at/above the 2nd crossing of Thunderhead (the first is over a bridge, the second [shown here] is a rock-hop - there is also a small rock hop before this on Long Branch):

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/PeteCz21/DefeatRidgeManway.jpg

Let us know how its goes...

Redfish62
06-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Water is getting a little low on the west prong but lots of eager rainbows. They are taking the standard flies for this time of year,I would have some yellow elk hair caddis and such. I would fish down stream and up stream from the campsight. There are several nice pools that will hold fish. I find the Bote mountain trail up not bad you will hit the west prong trail and make a left turn down to the west prong. I would recomend the west prong trail form the road to Tremont. Better parking and a nice hike.

You can also acces the west prong from the parkin area on Laurel Creek road the fishing there as been good lately and once you get up stream a little very few people.

Good luck and catch some fish.

mtnman2888
06-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the responses and i will definitely let you know how it goes. With the water being an issue should i look for somewhere else to go besides the west prong?

One option that looks enticing is road prong up off of 441. We could hike in a couple miles and try it up there, but is that a stream that will not carry much water during low water conditions as well? Thanks again for all of your help.

Craig

Redfish62
06-17-2008, 02:19 PM
When do you plan to go?
At the moment it is not bad the flow is OK.
I good alternative is some of the higher streams that are easy to get to like the Chemny tops.

PeteCz
06-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Craig, Road Prong fished pretty well last year even during the drought. The temps stay low and even when the water is down, it still has a good flow with lots of plunge pools. If you come down from Clingmans Dome Rd on Road Prong Trail, you will have a pretty brutal hike on the way out and you may have to travel at least a mile down to water that is worth fishing (and really probably should go down to Trickling falls and start from there-going up (below the 5th bridge[the only bridge on the Road Prong Trail]). It might be a bit shorter (but more crowded) to hike in from the Chimney Tops Trail and take the Road Prong Trail to the same spot (but where's the fun in that?:smile:).

Since you are already in that area, I would think Upper Deep Creek or the Left Fork of Deep Creek, might be better options. I was there last weekend, didn't see a soul and caught some nice fish in a very short trip. But that's just my $.02

ajh10567
06-17-2008, 05:36 PM
I've been looking for a while and I can not find it anywhere on the map could anyone point in the right direction?

Brian Griffing
06-17-2008, 07:35 PM
It joins with Lynn Camp near the end of the Tremont Road to form the Middle Prong of the Little River.

ajh10567
06-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Yeah I see now thanks for the help, it was not identified on the map that I was looking at.

mtnman2888
06-18-2008, 06:35 AM
We are going this weekend, most likely on saturday. I had thought about upper deep creek but i would kinda like to save that one for my camping trip next month. Thanks for all your help, i still haven't decided anything though.

Craig

mtnman2888
06-19-2008, 01:23 PM
I think we've narrowed it down to hiking a few miles into road prong or hiking up to fish camp. If anyone has any experience in these two streams i would appreciate some suggestions. Thanks.

mora521
06-19-2008, 03:13 PM
I,d go to Fish Camp Prong,great Rainbow fishing and great Brook trout further up.There is a creek,not a prong or branch, near there thats got some good Brook trout fishing.The distance keeps the fishing pressure down and it's just a great place to camp.Seems like more trail magic happens up there than any place I've been,except maybe the Graveyard Fields area in the Pisgah NF.It is also the place where I caught my first trout on a dry fly,after 17 years of being a corn and worm fisherman.

diamonddave7676
06-19-2008, 04:33 PM
What is this graveyard fields I have heard people speak of before? I am interested to know as long as it isnt some big secret and someone willing to share info about it.

mtnman2888
06-19-2008, 05:11 PM
It's an area off of the blue ridge parkway near canton. It's a pretty popular area with hikers. Be careful if you fish there though, there are certain parts of the river that will keep you boulder hopping like you have never imagined.

Speckleman5
06-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Lots of hikers and swimmers this time of year. Craig, Bugg and I are heading into Deep Creek and staying at 60 from tomorrow through Sunday if everything else falls through we'll be there going after a brown or two.

diamonddave7676
06-19-2008, 07:50 PM
How far of a hike is it to get to Sams Creek? I guess it is still in the park correct?

BamaBum
06-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Fished Chimney Tops and Road Prong Last weekend. Caught TONS of Rainbows (did not expect that many up that high) and one little Brook. He was little but he acted big. Lot of bolder hops but well worth it.

nvr2L8
06-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Diamond Dave,

Defeat Ridge trail that Pete was referring to (starting at the same point that Middle Prong trail does but going up the creek to the rightf) takes you up to Sams Creek. It's a fairly easy walk up to the second crossing that he described. Hop across the creek, climb the bank and you can take the trial up till it meets up with Sams Creek 1/2 mile or so from where it dumps in to Thunderhead. It will go through a dry stream bed in several places but you can fairly easily pick up the trail again above. And yes, Sams is definitely in the park.

The one time I fished Sams, I started at the mouth of the creek and went up and then walked the trail back down. Starting at the mouth and working up is pretty adventurous but you see some beautiful sections of creek and the waterfalls that made it a good, separated brookie habitat in the years it was closed.