PDA

View Full Version : TFO Professional TF 05 90 4 P

LandonH
06-17-2008, 06:56 PM
I just purchased a TFO Professional TF 05 90 4 P from LRO and when putting the rod toether the dots dont come cleose to alligning up. Is ther some trick to this or is it a defect. I do not want to have th eb that forceful .

Thanks
Landon

Waterborn
06-17-2008, 08:48 PM
I have the 4wt model - not sure if it TFO pros are an internal ferrule system or made to look that way, for the price, i doubt it - but they are great rods...slip on the corresponding piece together - align the dots left to right and give a slight push, firm to seat them together but the dots will not actually "touch" or come even close for that matter, and there will seem to be a "gap" of unfinished blank material bewtween the dots - just make sure they are in line with one another and the the rod is not loose.

Brook Fan
06-17-2008, 09:29 PM
LandonH

I bought the same rod in a 8'6 length and I thought the same thing about the dots. You will have some space bewteen the dots but it appears to be natural. I've caught several trout with my rod and no problems so yours should be fine s well.

TroutAssassin
06-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Like waterborn said, you will have gaps of unfinished rod blank material between the sections with the dots. It may seem like they are not comming together but trust me, they ARE seating properly. Just make sure the dots are aligned and the sections are seated tightly. Daniel explained to me why they designed it that way but i cannot remember what he told me. I do remember it was completely cosmetic though, nothing to do with function.

D-Drake
06-18-2008, 07:31 AM
Landon,

When the Professional series rods (and rods from a few other brands) are correctly connected you end up with something like a 1/4" to 1/2" of "gap". All you need is for the two pieces to fit together snuggly. Don't over force it.

Near as I can tell the rods are made this way to make them appear like they have the internal spigot ferrules. On a rod with a true internal ferrule you have a gap between the pieces. Internal ferrules cost much more to produce so they tend to only be used on the high end rods.

I hope this helps. Enjoy the new rod!!

Daniel

LandonH
06-18-2008, 01:36 PM
I [now] have great knowledge as I have learned from each of you.

Thanks for the information. I do appreciate it.
The rod will get wet Friday on the Tellico.

Landon

Gerry Romer
06-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Well if the rod's gonna get wet you'd better hang onto the line so you can retrieve it! Hate to see you lose a brand new TFO -- especially after getting it properly assembled!!

LandonH
06-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Well sometimes when i do catch that really nice trout i will let the rod down to handle the fish.

Funny stuff.
Have a great day sir.