PDA

View Full Version : 1st fly tied

Brook Fan
06-22-2008, 06:56 PM
I have started the process of tying my own flies. The picture below is my 1st attempt to create a Little Yellow Stone Female. I didn't have anything brown so I just kind of made it up as I went just to see how everything fits together.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk249/BrookFan1973/Myfemalestonefly.jpg

monktrout
06-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Brook Fan, Nothing wrong with that fly. You'll be tying Catskill drys in a couple of weeks.
Monktrout

Brook Fan
06-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks monktrout the 3rd and 4th fly looked even better. It' s funny how it just starts to make sense.

I started with #12's just so I could see what I was doing but now I want to put them in the water.
Can I use a #12 inside the GSM or have I made my flies to big for a realistic chance to catch a trout?

Hal M
06-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Way to go!! Your first fly looks 10 times better than mine did. Keep at it you will do just fine. Stay on a pattern until you feel good about your results then go to another that's good for the area.

Hal

Brook Fan
06-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Can anyone recommend a good book with diagrams or a website they use to learn a pattern. I intend on taking a class but until then I would really like to keep practicing. If it helps in deciding what book or website I'm intersted in learning to tie Yellow Sally's for my 1st fly. I really like the pattern of the Little Yellow Stone like the one on LRO's online store.

Stonefly
06-24-2008, 01:07 PM
One of my favorite websites is www.charliesflybox.com which has step-by- step tutorials. Others are www.hipwader.com and http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

sb

PeteCz
06-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Here is a thread that contains some of the ones listed above, plus a few more:
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9581

troutflies.com is another good one...

Even after you become somewhat proficient, I would still take a class (like the LRO Intermediate Fly tying class). Its amazing the little tricks you can pick up for better looking flies and to help speed up your efforts.

Brook Fan
06-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks guys for the info.

I have alot of reading to do. I will take the class though if nothing else it sounds like a fun time.

buckeyetrouter
06-24-2008, 10:10 PM
hey Brook Fan......you can't go wrong taking the classes and learning from Walter and Brian....I've taken all three classes and loved them all. The good thing is you get to learn from two of the best and you get to pick thier brain on fishing the Smokies.....WOW:cool: , what a deal......

bob

Brook Fan
06-25-2008, 09:26 PM
I didn't see online any fly tying supplies on LRO's site. It's to far of a drive to get unless I'm fishing in the area can anyone recommend a good online shop for supplies. (feathers, thread, hooks, and such)

BlueRaiderFan
06-25-2008, 10:23 PM
I didn't see online any fly tying supplies on LRO's site. It's to far of a drive to get unless I'm fishing in the area can anyone recommend a good online shop for supplies. (feathers, thread, hooks, and such)

Just call em..They have FREE shipping!