PDA

View Full Version : Brookie again

Barbara
06-29-2008, 09:13 AM
I caught a brook trout the first of May, thanks to Don Winn. Unfortunately the next day a river dance put my camera in the water and the pictures were mostly ruined. I now have a new digital camera that is supposedly shock proof and semi-water proof.

Friday I returned to the same place Don told me about and caught brook and rainbow. One of the brookies was really nice and I got pictures. The picture with my rod in there to show size, I didn't get. It is hard to be digitally challenged...:confused: When I get home I will attempt to post the pic. Or erase it, whichever happens first. There is probably a way to post from this laptop but I don't have a clue. I do remember that the camera box had cords in it besides the charger so I'll start with them.

It was such fun catching brook trout. It's like catching a piece of history. Some tourists stopped by with their kids as I was coming out of the water. They asked what I caught and I showed them the pictures. I told them that was the only native trout in the Smoky Mts. but I'm not sure they were too impressed.

Yesterday we went out late and fished the Little River below Elkmont. Got some rainbow and things were starting to get interesting when the storm hit. It came up fast and we headed for the truck thinking we would get drenched. But it was the wind that was the problem. About a mile down the road, two limbs were blocking my lane. Oncoming cars were nice enough to flash their lights so I knew to slow down. That was the worst wind storm I've been in on the mountain. I would hate to be fishing and have one of those limbs come down on my head!

It rained 3 more times in Townsend during the night so I am wondering what the streams will be like today.

ALflygirl
06-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Barbara
Can't wait to see your photos. Just curious, what camera did you buy?

Rachel

BlueRaiderFan
06-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Barbara,

Congrats on your cartch and just so you know; I'm impressed! I haven't caught a Brookie yet! I just started a few months ago. Glad to see that women are actually interested in the sport. Maybe you can talk to my wife?!:biggrin: I've even offered to take the fish off the line, but no dice!

ijsouth
06-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Congratulations on the second brookie...I have a hard time coordinating the picture and the fish myself - on our next trip next week, I hope to master the underwater shot.

The thing to keep in mind with the brookies is that they are a bit different from the ubiquitous rainbows; when I started a few years ago, it was up in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia, which is almost exclusively a brook trout fishery. When I started fishing the Smokies, I looked to the same sort of streams, and the same areas on the streams...so, I tend to catch a lot of brookies, more than any other species. I have also caught a fair amount of small brown trout - they like the same sort of water, while of the three species, I've caught rainbows the least. The brookies (and I guess the browns) don't like the really heavy water....they hang out in the "seams", where the fast water meets the slower water, while the rainbows like the fast stuff. Since I started on brookies, that tends to be my target. It will be interesting when Lynn Camp opens up several years from now - it might fish differently from how it does now.

Barbara
06-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Rachel,

There was an interesting discussion on this board several months ago about cameras. You might want to go back and read it if you are in the market.

I got a Stylus 790 by Olympus, 7.1 megapixel (whatever that is) and supposedly it is shock and waterproof. Now by waterproof I think they mean I can drop it in the Little River, grap it quick, dry it off and it will be fine. I am not sure it would be ok for underwater pictures.

If you will wait, I can almost guarantee I will do a "river dance" the next trip or two, then I'll let you know if it's really waterproof!;)

Barbara
06-29-2008, 09:05 PM
BlueRaiderFan,

I went on my first "real" fishing/camping trip when I was nine. Up til then, I had practiced in farm ponds. My father, a very brave man, took a nine year old and a seven year old to Cumberland Lake, Ky. We had an army surplus pup tent, a homemade boat Dad built himself, and a Johnson 5 hp outboard. I still remember crossing the lake, it looked like the Atlantic Ocean to me.

I learned to fly fish for bass and bluegill the next summer. But didn't try trout until just a few years ago. I have met a few women who fly fish. I know they are out there, I just don't seem to run into them fishing.

My advice to you guys with daughters, take them fishing. If they like it, take them every chance you get. They will grow up so fast and be working and too busy to fish with you. My best memories from childhood are those fishing trips with my Dad and brother.

I can't help you with your wife. My Mom didn't like to fish. When she and Dad were newly married, they went fishing on Center Hill Lake. Dad hooked a big something and couldn't land it. It got dark and Mother got scared. She told him to just cut the line. :o He told her he would stay all night if necessary but he'd never cut the line. When he finally landed it, it wasn't the record bass he was hoping for, but a big channel catfish. Mom was so mad she didn't go fishing with him again for years.

jeffnles1
06-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Rachel,

There was an interesting discussion on this board several months ago about cameras. You might want to go back and read it if you are in the market.

I got a Stylus 790 by Olympus, 7.1 megapixel (whatever that is) and supposedly it is shock and waterproof. Now by waterproof I think they mean I can drop it in the Little River, grap it quick, dry it off and it will be fine. I am not sure it would be ok for underwater pictures.

If you will wait, I can almost guarantee I will do a "river dance" the next trip or two, then I'll let you know if it's really waterproof!;)

Barbara,
I have that same camera and I've taken under water photos with it. As long as you don't go deeper than 10' it should be fine. My underwater photos have been limited to sticking my arm under water and snapping a photo. If you go to the "scene" mode, there are some settings for under water photos.

Mainly, I bought it for the same reason you did. If I drop it in the creek, there's a fighting chance the camera and my photos will be OK. I also bought a water resistand cell phone so when I take a dunk or drop the thing there's a chance it may still work.

Welcome to the board.

Jeff

nvr2L8
06-29-2008, 10:08 PM
After dunking a camera earlier this year, I bought an Olympus Stylus 850 SW that is reportedly shock (up to 5 feet) and waterproof. Haven't tried underwater yet but I finally have no fear of getting my camera wet. Takes a load of worries off. :smile:

Barbara
06-29-2008, 10:36 PM
The other thing I like about this camera is the weight, or lack thereof. It is so light and small, fits right in my vest pocket. I tend to carry too much stuff and I didn't want anything else heavy to tote around.

BlueRaiderFan
06-29-2008, 10:37 PM
BlueRaiderFan,

I went on my first "real" fishing/camping trip when I was nine. Up til then, I had practiced in farm ponds. My father, a very brave man, took a nine year old and a seven year old to Cumberland Lake, Ky. We had an army surplus pup tent, a homemade boat Dad built himself, and a Johnson 5 hp outboard. I still remember crossing the lake, it looked like the Atlantic Ocean to me.

I learned to fly fish for bass and bluegill the next summer. But didn't try trout until just a few years ago. I have met a few women who fly fish. I know they are out there, I just don't seem to run into them fishing.

My advice to you guys with daughters, take them fishing. If they like it, take them every chance you get. They will grow up so fast and be working and too busy to fish with you. My best memories from childhood are those fishing trips with my Dad and brother.

I can't help you with your wife. My Mom didn't like to fish. When she and Dad were newly married, they went fishing on Center Hill Lake. Dad hooked a big something and couldn't land it. It got dark and Mother got scared. She told him to just cut the line. :o He told her he would stay all night if necessary but he'd never cut the line. When he finally landed it, it wasn't the record bass he was hoping for, but a big channel catfish. Mom was so mad she didn't go fishing with him again for years.

Man, sounds like you have a LOT more experience than I do! I do plan on trying to catch a few bluegill soon. Not really certian what they'll hit, but from what I've read they hit just about anything. It's so nice to hear that you had those experiences with your father. A home made boat would be sweet! I love it when people rig something up for pennies on the dollar vs buying.

Barbara
06-29-2008, 10:40 PM
ijsouth,

Did you ever fish the Jackson River near Lexington, Va? If so, what size is it, float or wade? I have a chance to go fish there this fall but know nothing about it and really am not that interested in a float trip.

ijsouth
06-29-2008, 11:58 PM
ijsouth,

Did you ever fish the Jackson River near Lexington, Va? If so, what size is it, float or wade? I have a chance to go fish there this fall but know nothing about it and really am not that interested in a float trip.

Nope...I've only fished the streams in SNP, which are pretty much like the smaller streams in the Smokies. I do have a book by Harry Murray - "Virginia Blue Ribbon Streams", and the Jackson is in it. The area he describes is a little ways away from Lexington...around the Warm Springs area. It is big water, but he doesn't mention anything about float trips, which he does on some other streams like the James or the Rappahannock, so it looks like wading only. Going in the Fall, the water would probably be on the low side anyway, so floating would be out.

Barbara
07-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Unsuccessful in posting pictures

nvr2L8
07-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Barbara,

Have you tried the process described in the first thread of the Photography forum? It works. Even for me.

Barbara
07-04-2008, 01:54 PM
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x311/barbarahunter/grand%20slam/BrookTrout008.jpg

Ok let's see what happens this time!! I know technically a grand slam happens in one day...but I was happy to do it in three days! How that little brown got up in Jakes Creek I don't know.

Barbara
07-04-2008, 02:00 PM
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x311/barbarahunter/grand%20slam/Rainbow023.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x311/barbarahunter/grand%20slam/BrownTrout026.jpg

Finally...... The rainbow came out of Little River below Elkmont.

ALflygirl
07-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Great photos.....I especially like the brown!

donwinn
07-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Barbara,

Great pictures! That is a really nice brookie. The brown is nice as well. I am sure you caught some rainbows too which means you may have competed your first slam. Way to go!:smile:

heyski
07-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Rachel,
...I got a Stylus 790 by Olympus, 7.1 megapixel (whatever that is) and supposedly it is shock and waterproof. Now by waterproof I think they mean I can drop it in the Little River, grap it quick, dry it off and it will be fine. I am not sure it would be ok for underwater pictures....

Yep, I got the Olympus and I think it's a great camera so far.

Rog 1
07-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Jake's Creek browns....that little creek will fool you....my son cut his teeth on its waters and his first brown trout was an 8 incher that feel victim to his trout magnet....although he has since graduated to a long rod he is still lured back to this stream and keeps catching trout there.....nice place to go to escape the crazy tubers in the campground

Barbara
07-14-2008, 04:27 PM
There is a little cottage, not far up Jake's Creek from the parking area, that is right on the stream. I looked at it for a long time, wondering about the people who were lucky enough to spend time in that little house, with a trout stream gurgling literally a few feet from the house. That is what I wish for my retirement but looks like my goldfish pond is as close as I will get.:biggrin:

Barbara
07-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Barbara,

Great pictures! That is a really nice brookie. The brown is nice as well. I am sure you caught some rainbows too which means you may have competed your first slam. Way to go!:smile:

Don,

I never got the rainbow picture to post but there is a photobucket link to it, if you are interested, right above one of the pictures, the brown, I think. I did get the "grand slam" but not in one day. Couldn't get the brown until later. I am not complaining.:smile:

sammcdonald
07-14-2008, 05:25 PM
barbara, that's probably the avent cabin if it is about 1/4 mile past the last parking area up jake's creek....the last house in elkmont up jake's creek is the higdon place...higdon was the caretaker of elkmont...the avent cabin is neat

Barbara
07-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Sam,

My memory may betray me. It was the last house I remember seeing that was right on the stream and I mean right on it. Practically over the water. It looked small. Still looked in fair condition, on the far side of the stream from the trail. I did not go in. Looked small for a permanent residence. If it is Avent, how much further upstream is Higdon?

sammcdonald
07-15-2008, 05:49 PM
can't be avent then.....avent is above higdon by 3/4 mile or so...those were summer cabins....i'll look next time...the avent cabion is across the creek about .7 mile up from trailhead...but it is about 200 feet away from the creek...

donwinn
07-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Barbara,

I looked at the rainbow - nice fish. You did have a good trip! I am not sure about the "offical rules" on a grand slam. I don't know if you have to do it in one day. I made my own rule and it is all three on a trip. We may have to get the grand slam rules committee to give us an offical ruling. But for right now - congratulations on an outstanding grand slam!

Barbara
07-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Don,

Thank you. I like your rule best.

Barbara

tennswede
07-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Unfortunately for you all, the RULE IS: Brown, Brook and Rainbow in the same day on the same stream. We need to be serious about this or anyone out there can claim a slam. It really bothers me when people don't stick to the rules.

Bran
07-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Barbara,
Nice Brookie! Looks like you did get a slam after all. I'm impressed with the pics from that 790. I got an 850 SW a while back and have used it a few times, the first "test" was to take this underwater release shot of a buddie's Smallmouth Bass:
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z9/bmidkiff_photos/P6250013.jpg

PeteCz
07-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Please don't tell me there are official rules for fishing statistics. Are there?

Hans is probably right about the "official" Smoky Slam being confined to one day. But I think there are a few additional considerations if you look at Golf and Tennis. If you win all of the majors events in a year you have captured a Grand Slam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Slam_%28tennis%29), but even if you win each event in non-contiguous years you get credit for a Career Grand Slam.

I think we could apply those same rules here. Once you have caught one of each species it could be considered a Career Smokies Grand Slam. If you manage it in the same year, you could be said to have captured a Grand Slam (or maybe just a Yearly Grand Slam). If managed during a trip, it could be the Trip Slam...etc...

Unfortunately if we are using the baseball analogy, then its quite a bit stricter, in fact, I think you would need to catch all three from the same stream (at the same time-with one cast?). Afterall, you can't go to two separate ball parks and drive in 4 runs with multiple swings and still get credit for a Grand Slam, even if you do it in the same day....

Who makes these rules up anyway.....?
;)

Barbara
07-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Unfortunately for you all, the RULE IS: Brown, Brook and Rainbow in the same day on the same stream. We need to be serious about this or anyone out there can claim a slam. It really bothers me when people don't stick to the rules.

Hans,

I didn't mean to break the rules. I didn't know the "rules". Until recently it never occurred to me that I would ever catch all 3 type of trout in one trip, much less in one day, on one stream! :redface: I will keep trying.

Barbara

Barbara
07-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Bran,

That is a nice underwater picture! I had not thought of trying to take a picture of a release. I will try that next trip.

I fished last week and baptised the little 790 in Cataloochee. It still works perfectly! I am going to post the pictures, hopefully, today. I am really pleased with this little camera. It is not for serious photographers but it meets my requirements very well.

Barbara

Barbara
07-18-2008, 11:41 AM
The links aren't working. I'll try again later.

nvr2L8
07-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Rules, shmules. Congrats on the "extended slam". It's an accomplishment no matter how you look at it. :biggrin:

Barbara
07-18-2008, 01:53 PM
http://http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x311/barbarahunter/Cataloochee/th_P7120092.jpg (http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x311/barbarahunter/Cataloochee/P7120092.jpg)

Barbara
07-18-2008, 04:00 PM
pics will not post

Barbara
07-18-2008, 04:10 PM
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x311/barbarahunter/Cataloochee/P7120091.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x311/barbarahunter/Cataloochee/P7120090.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x311/barbarahunter/Cataloochee/P7120092.jpg

Afternoon of July 12, 2008

tennswede
07-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Hans,

I didn't mean to break the rules. I didn't know the "rules". Until recently it never occurred to me that I would ever catch all 3 type of trout in one trip, much less in one day, on one stream! :redface: I will keep trying.

Barbara

Well, I'm the official NPS Smoky Mountain Slam police. I am the one who grant people the right to claim that they got a slam. Don't ask how I determine the authenticity of the claims. LOL.

FOLKS I'M JUST KIDDING. I hope no one took this serious. I think it is an accomplishment to catch anything in the park. I was just trying to spread some fun around. I have noticed that we are all getting way too serious about this whole fly fishing thing. I guess I can now go back to my subscription to MAD magazine. Sorry for the plug of that high quality publication.

pineman19
07-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Well, I'm the official NPS Smoky Mountain Slam police. I am the one who grant people the right to claim that they got a slam. Don't ask how I determine the authenticity of the claims. LOL.

FOLKS I'M JUST KIDDING. I hope no one took this serious. I think it is an accomplishment to catch anything in the park. I was just trying to spread some fun around. I have noticed that we are all getting way too serious about this whole fly fishing thing. I guess I can now go back to my subscription to MAD magazine. Sorry for the plug of that high quality publication.

Hans,

I resent your implication that myself and others take flyfishing toooooooo seriously. I struggled several years before being able catch trout on a semi-regular basis in the Smokies, and I still end up catching smaller fish than you when we go fishing. Of course, it always seems like you catch your bigguns when I am out of sight. Coincidence, or is it a conspiracy to maintain your superiority in the Smokies. HA! We shall see what happens in the long run. The STUDENT will become the MASTER.

Neal

tennswede
07-19-2008, 03:38 PM
Oh well, a little insecure there, he? I'm switching to the metric system any day now. I sick and tired of old inches and oz and all those other ancient measurements. My two brown trout which I caught when Neal was busy changing flies, were exactly 22.86 cm, that is 228.6mm which is like HUGE.....

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/lisaane/IM000793.jpghttp://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/lisaane/IM000795.jpg

pineman19
07-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Hans,

Those are some nice looking 5" fish. You are still the Master. He He

Neal

Stonefly
07-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Barbara --

Pretty fish! And the shot of the baby turkeys is great.

sb