PDA

View Full Version : Any good fishing in the Townsend area?

RollinTide4
06-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Im vacationing next week and going to stay in a cabin in townsend. I was just wondering if there was any good fishing in that area if so where and what type flies are being used right now?

danp413
06-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Yes, there is good fishing in the Townsend area. A lot of it. If you want easy fishing you can go for stockers in Townsend, just be careful not to fish on private property.

What I prefer is to go after the wild trout in the Smokies. The closest place to Townsend will be up above Tremont. Here you can fish Middle Prong, Lynn Camp Prong, Thunderhead Prong, and Sam's Creek. Middle Prong is along the road, the others require a little hiking, but not much. This time of year, it is better to go into the higher elevations where the water is cooler.

As for what is biting, check out the fishing report Byron puts up every day on this website. Also stop in the shop while you are there, not only will the staff help you out and make suggestions on where to go and what to use, there will probably be someone in the shop who has been in the water recently and will make suggestions. (Like the staff.)

BlueRaiderFan
06-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Im vacationing next week and going to stay in a cabin in townsend. I was just wondering if there was any good fishing in that area if so where and what type flies are being used right now?

I'll be in that area July 17th if you need guidance (I just learn from this board). As far as in Townsend, I believe there are a few spots before you get into town that are public picnic areas that you can fish from the bank or wade into from. If you are bait casting, use a rooster tail (black usually gets em or yellow). If you are fly fishing, stop in at LRO to get some flies that they reccomend. If you go up by Treemont, go early as the sun is rising and be QUIET! These trout spook easy :smile: I was told to go to the end of Treemont and go up a ways past the "Cascades" (I think it's a series of noticable waterfalls...There are lots of waterfalls in the Smokies, so these must be noticable) They say take the road up past the Treemont nature center, park in the gravel lot and go up past the cascades via taking the trail over the bridge. I have caught one Bow right next to the gravel lot, but I don't think that is the norm. I have yet to go more than a couple hundred feet past the bridge, but this time I'm going to go a mile or two. I hear the fishing is good up higher. I hope so after all that hiking! Keep in mind that my information may be innaccurate as I am new to the sport.

BlueRaiderFan
06-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Also, there is a campground in Townsend that is across the river that has an access point and a few hundred feet of private water, I can't remember which bridge it is across, but if you look to the left as you cross the bridge, I believe they have a sign out that you can access the river for a small fee, but I could be wrong. Besides, if you are going to be in the Smokies, you HAVE to take a trail up in the mountains and fish! It's beautiful. Just be certain to let a person know where you plan to go and when you'll be back.

David Knapp
06-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Stop by LRO and I'll be glad to show you a few places where you might catch some fish... As far as good flies, yellow stoneflies are still hatching some in the evenings and are mostly a #16 with some starting to get smaller now. Terrestrials work well including the famous Green Weenie and ant patterns. Hope you enjoy your trip!

David Knapp

eflyguy
06-29-2008, 09:14 PM
We're heading up from Atlanta tomorrow, got turned on to this site by a fellow GeoCacher..

Will definitely hit up LRO before I venture out onto the water!

Wondering - are the streams and creeks in the area suitable for wet-wading, or are waders/boots required?

Thx!
..a

Paula Begley
06-29-2008, 09:20 PM
eflyguy

I had students on the stream today and I wet waded quite comfortably. We did just get a really cold rain, but that shouldn't impact it too much...if you are a hardy soul. :cool:

Welcome to the board. And, by the way, there is a geo cache site here in Townsend.

Paula

eflyguy
06-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Welcome to the board. And, by the way, there is a geo cache site here in Townsend.

Several, in fact - programmed into my GPS, including the ones at Deals Gap overlook and Look Rock!

On our way!
..a

eflyguy
07-01-2008, 09:10 PM
It's all lies, I tell you - there are no fish in these streams! :)

Fished the 1/4 mile down from the parking at the end of Middle Prong Rd, then further back near Big Hollow for about 1/2 mile. Nothing rising, nothing biting.

Ran into two fellow fishermen heading back along the road, they'd caught a handful nymphing. Perhaps the drop in temps has halted the hatch?

Nonetheless, beautiful place to wade and practice my casting for a couple of hours..
..a

danp413
07-02-2008, 12:01 AM
You need to ask Byron what happened when he told Steve Moore there where no fish in Abrams Creek.

jeffnles1
07-02-2008, 11:20 AM
It's all lies, I tell you - there are no fish in these streams!

How right you are. In fact, there's not a fish within 100 miles of the Smokeys.

All you folks need to find another place to fish where there are actually fish in the water.

Oh, and, just because I'm a nice guy and want to help out my fellow flyfishers, I'll make the sacrifice and keep fishing in the Smokeys even though I knwo there are no fish to be caught.

I wouldn't want to contribute to over crowding on streams that actually contain fish.

No need to thank me, the knowledge that I've done such a noble thing to help out my fellow fishers is more than enough thanks for me.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Jeff

Byron Begley
07-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Dan, you are right. I'll tell the story quickly.

Steve Moore, the Park Service Fisheries Crew and TU volunteers were going to electroshock the 200 meter section of Abrams Creek below the confluence of Mill Creek and Abrams. A buddy of mine and I fished the section early in the morning before the fish count was to begin. We didn't catch a thing. I told Steve, the head fisheries biologist in the Park that we shouldn't expect to find many if any trout in that section based on our fishing experience earlier that morning. We stretched the nets across the stream at the top and bottom of the sample site. By the time the day was over we had captured over 500 trout and the largest was a 29" brown. That was back when browns were living in Abrams Creek. So, I humbled myself to fisheries science and never mentioned to Steve again what I expected from a fish sampling. However Walter tells this story to every Fly Fishing Beginner Class here at LRO and Steve mentions it when we are in a group together. I guess that's one thing I said that I will never live down. There are a few others too.

Byron

jeffnles1
07-02-2008, 11:51 AM
One thing I'll never quite be able to comprehend is how come I can be standing looking at a stretch of water that's a foot deep and as clear as drinking water and not see a fish? Now, I can see every rock, pebble, and piece of stuff floating in the water, but not see a single fish. Then, when my fly is drifting through the run, wham, a fish hits it.

These guys are great at camouflage. It's amazing.

Jeff

BlueRaiderFan
07-02-2008, 01:00 PM
One thing I'll never quite be able to comprehend is how come I can be standing looking at a stretch of water that's a foot deep and as clear as drinking water and not see a fish? Now, I can see every rock, pebble, and piece of stuff floating in the water, but not see a single fish. Then, when my fly is drifting through the run, wham, a fish hits it.

These guys are great at camouflage. It's amazing.

Jeff

I've seen video on Youtube where a fish was POINTED OUT and I STILL couldn't see him.:mad: They are excellent at hiding.

eflyguy
07-02-2008, 04:36 PM
He he. Thanks for the words of encouragement.. :D Good story, Byron.

I'm off to try again this evening, will try sub-surface if I see nothing rising (duh). Wife and Kid are off to the hay ride in the cove, which will give me a little more time to experiment.
..a

Speckleman5
07-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Byron,
How long has it been since browns were found in Abrams?

eflyguy
07-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Spent three hours on the stream running besides Middle Prong Rd last night, starting about a mile up. I take back my earlier statement - yes, there are fish, I saw one in the deep pool besides the road on a bend that must have been 20" long! There were some smaller fish that would let me walk to within a few feet of them before the scurried away. They had no interest in anything I had to offer, however, no matter how much stealth I used. The 2-4" nibblers would snatch anything I dropped on the surface almost as fast as I could put it out there, but nothing of substance took the hook.

I'm beginning to think that these waters may hold rewards for the "serious" angler willing to hike a mile up to higher elevatations, but are no good for the "casual" angler who can't commit a day to this sport. Covering just 1000' of water in almost 3 hours, I can easily see losing an entire day..

I might need to schedule my fishing time separate to family vacations.. :)
..a

PeteCz
07-03-2008, 03:25 PM
efg,

Middle Prong can be a real tough stream to catch fish in the park. The fish are not as opportunistic as other places in the park. There are definitely easier streams to catch fish on, so don't get too frustrated. As you noted (and like many things) perseverance, practice and some hard work (hiking in) will pay dividends. The fish along the road see lots of people, but only the better anglers can catch fish there with much consistency.

An example for you from another current thread. During the fish-out on Lynn Camp (a tributary of Middle Prong) a few weeks back, two anglers caught almost half of the fish that were taken during the first 8 days of the event, even though over 100 people tried their luck! Most folks caught 0-2 fish...experience matters

Like you said, the fish are there...