PDA

View Full Version : Nances Ferry

Green Weenie
06-30-2008, 08:31 AM
Are the trout still holding down as far as Nances Ferry, or has this water become too warm?

I may try to hit it on the 4th.

Thanks in advance.

Worrgamesguy
06-30-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm not sure about Nance's Ferry and the trout, but I PROMISE you do not want to be out on the water on July 4th.

ajh10567
06-30-2008, 06:48 PM
I fished there a couple weeks ago, and got skunked not even a single bite. I did see a bunch of bait fisherman catching smallmouth which led me to believe that they were moving in and the trout were moving up. And the water was very warm, didn't have a thermometer but it felt warm.

waterwolf
06-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Better have lead shoes.

Troutman
06-30-2008, 07:18 PM
fisherman catching smallmouth which led me to believe that they were moving in and the trout were moving up.

Yahoo! I may need to head over there soon.

ZachMatthews
07-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Nance's Ferry should be getting ideal for carp right about now. Head over there with an eight weight, a bonefish line, and a box of olive Crazy Charlies and small crawdads. You won't be wishing for any trout for long, I promise. That spot is the best flats fishing for carp I have found in the entire Southeast.

Zach

Troutman
07-11-2008, 09:58 PM
I've never caught a carp at NF. Caught several of the smaller buffalo in the 4-8 lb range on the upper shoals at low water. I need to spend more time fishing for those guys. They're a hoot!

Waterwolf, Do you fish the white buggers under an indicator like a jig, or fish them like a regular streamer for the carp?

waterwolf
07-11-2008, 10:32 PM
I've never caught a carp at NF. Caught several of the smaller buffalo in the 4-8 lb range on the upper shoals at low water. I need to spend more time fishing for those guys. They're a hoot!

Waterwolf, Do you fish the white buggers under an indicator like a jig, or fish them like a regular streamer for the carp?

Just like a streamer, for some reason the carp in the Holston prefer white colored streamers over anything else. I have had them run them down like bass and eat them before, but usually a normal carp presentation works like a charm.

The biggest problem with the aforementioned craws and bonefish flies is they are far too heavy and very hard to see against a brown bottom and thus hard to tell when the fish eats. A white fly is of course easy to see disappear into the bugle.

Those carp are weird, one day they will eat every time other days they run from flies like the devil showed up. Right side of the river going upstream is the best until the big drop, then switch to the left side along the grass.

Watch the sun angles, morning fish the left side looking upstream, and afternoon fish the right side.

Best of luck to all, and if you really want to catch some monster riverine carp try the French Broad below Douglas, not only is the carp fishing better but the same can be said for the smallies. No nasty stocked trout but plenty of other fun stuff and no people.

Troutman
07-12-2008, 10:56 AM
if you really want to catch some monster riverine carp try the French Broad below Douglas, not only is the carp fishing better but the same can be said for the smallies. No nasty stocked trout but plenty of other fun stuff and no people.

I was planning on doing that float today in fact. From the dam to Ellis. The LP was pouring like Chocolate yesterday into the FB , so I decided to cancel and do something else with the family. I've seen some great picts this year from the FB, both of carp and smallies. Try again in a few weeks.

Byron Begley
07-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Waterwolf,

Be a gentleman. I know you know these waters well, heck I even fished with you a long time ago. But, if you want to be rude to people on a message board do it somewhere else, not here. Otherwise we welcome your comments and suggestions. I deleted your post because it was offensive to me and my friends.

Thanks,

Byron

Gerry Romer
07-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks, Byron... I agree. At first I thought it was a joke, but then I couldn't find the humor.

Gerry

waterwolf
07-12-2008, 06:57 PM
I was planning on doing that float today in fact. From the dam to Ellis. The LP was pouring like Chocolate yesterday into the FB , so I decided to cancel and do something else with the family. I've seen some great picts this year from the FB, both of carp and smallies. Try again in a few weeks.

Good luck Gary and that is a good stretch for sure. I have caught some awfully nice bass in their and some giant carp. Best of luck in the future.

waterwolf
07-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Waterwolf,

Be a gentleman. I know you know these waters well, heck I even fished with you a long time ago. But, if you want to be rude to people on a message board do it somewhere else, not here. Otherwise we welcome your comments and suggestions. I deleted your post because it was offensive to me and my friends.

Thanks,

Byron
B, my apologies, sometimes as you know I just can't let somethings slide. Always been blunt and to the point. It was rude, and I do know better. In the future I will bite my tongue as to not taint your forum.

Byron Begley
07-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Waterwolf,

Thanks buddy.

Byron