PDA

View Full Version : Orvis ZG Helios

Bran
07-01-2008, 08:20 AM
Just wondering if anyone would like to share an opinion on the ZG Helios line. Any size really but in particular 3wt up through maybe 5 or 6. Any of you guys or girls that fish them I'd like to know your opinion and thanks-Bran

mtnman2888
07-01-2008, 09:27 AM
I have a 9' 4wt and i could not recommend it more if you can afford it. I have it coupled with some sharkskin line and words can't describe it. I can type a page about it but it still wouldn't give it justice, it's that good in my opinion. I can't say that any fly rod is honestly worth that much, but it's definitely the best rod i've ever casted. I have a bIIx as well and although i love my bIIx, the helios beats it hands down.

Grumpy
07-01-2008, 10:59 PM
I have the mid 4 & tip 5, love the 5, the 4 just dosen't quite fit my fishing style, when the tip 4 comes out, i'll have to get it;)
The 8'4 3 weight would be fun on smaller streams & the 8 & 10 weights i've cast are pure cannons that don't feel like one:smile:

Grumpy

Bran
07-02-2008, 07:23 AM
Thanks guys, that helps. I was wondering if they were as good as Orvis is saying they are. It's hard to justify that price but my work gives us a couple gift certificates through the year and they're going towards a new rod this year. Thanks--Bran

ccmmcc
07-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Grumpy,

What don't you like about the mid 4? To "slow"? I really like a Scott G, Sage Light Line, Winston IM6... Is it a similar action?

jeffnles1
07-02-2008, 11:56 AM
I don't know why, but I"m lusting for this rod and you guys are not helping.:smile:

Please someone say something bad about it (even if it's not true). I keep telling my wife and son that college is over rated.

OK, seriously, I could afford one and want one but am not quite ready to tell my loving wife that I handed over that much money for what to her is a "fishing pole".

But on the other hand, college is over rated, right?

Jeff

Grumpy
07-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Grumpy,

What don't you like about the mid 4? To "slow"? I really like a Scott G, Sage Light Line, Winston IM6... Is it a similar action?

I like Tip flex rods, i can fish the mid 4 weight, i have to adjust or really slow myself down to fish it & if the wind picks up:mad: , i normally have no problem with a tip 4 in the wind.
There's nothing wrong with the rod, it's just me.

Grumpy

diamonddave7676
07-02-2008, 04:46 PM
I have a 9' 4wt and i could not recommend it more if you can afford it. I have it coupled with some sharkskin line and words can't describe it. I can type a page about it but it still wouldn't give it justice, it's that good in my opinion. I can't say that any fly rod is honestly worth that much, but it's definitely the best rod i've ever casted. I have a bIIx as well and although i love my bIIx, the helios beats it hands down.

I dont know how much you have fished the Helios rod with the sharkskin but I have heard several people say how it will wear the eyes in the rod or something and just wondering if this is true or if you have noticed anything like this.

mtnman2888
07-02-2008, 08:01 PM
I have heard the same thing but i have also heard the opposite. I contacted sa about it and of course they said it wouldn't hurt the eyes, but they also said that if i had any problems with it they would work with me to fix the problem. Now what that means i don't know but they seemed confident that the line wouldn't hurt the eyes. I've only had it for about 8 months but i see no sign of damage.

Grumpy
07-03-2008, 10:59 PM
YEP, cast the tip 4 today, gotta have it:biggrin:

Grumpy