PDA

View Full Version : YELLOW YELLOW YELLOw

buckeyetrouter
07-02-2008, 07:05 AM
seems like yellow is the color of the month(s) during this time of year....anyone up for a "yellow only" fly swap ? ? ? ?

if so, first ten to respond are in and we will go from there........... beginners to experienced welcome, let's have some fun

bob

PeteCz
07-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Bob, Count me in....

Flyfishjeep
07-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Bob, as always I will be more than happy to contribute!
I could be the miester if you need.
I hope some others jump in!

BlueRaiderFan
07-02-2008, 01:06 PM
How does it work?

buckeyetrouter
07-03-2008, 07:04 PM
hey Blue....its simple, there are 10 people who commit and chose a pattern to tye. Typicallly everyone ties something different or a little different and they tye two flies for each participant and send them in to the moderator who then divides the flies out and ships the two of each pattern tied to each of the participants....it's a good experience.....

any of you Southern Boys wanna be the moderator, if not I will do it but was just thinking of the logistics......

waiting on serveral more, stands as follows so far:

buckeye
petecz
flyfishjeep
blueraiderfan (are you in?)

BlueRaiderFan
07-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Hmmm...As long as I can use the materials that I have already. I;m spent out on fishing for a while.

jgduckhunter
07-06-2008, 09:21 PM
count me in i've always wanted to do one of these.

Fly_Man_Bill
07-07-2008, 02:19 AM
Buckeyetrouter
I've never done a fly swap. What type of flies do we have to tie? Dries or Nymphs with weight and what size hook do we use? I would like to try a swap. Who do we send the flies to when were done? What is the deadline?You can penical me in for Yellow Plamers.

May God Bless You...

Bill

buckeyetrouter
07-07-2008, 06:33 AM
hey Bill......after we get the 10 tyers set (or less if needed) then flyfishingjeep will post the deadlines and what quantity we are to send in. You pick your fly and size. There will be a information page to be posted as in other swaps to follow with all information.......

God Bless & Good Fishing
bob

Gerry Romer
07-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Hey, Bob!

Count me in again. Now I just have to figure out what to tie. Let you know shortly. One thought though... by the time this swap is done, the mountain flies are gonna transition to orange. Should we think about an orange swap, or maybe one orange and one yellow per person?

Gerry

Redfish62
07-07-2008, 03:11 PM
I am not the best fly tier but I would enjoy being included.

Thanks,

Redfish62

UofMontanaAlum
07-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Can I play?

I head to Montana for two weeks this Friday so if we get this nailed down soon I can get them in the mail by Thursday. Otherwise it will be the weekend of the 26th before I can finish up and that next Monday for mailing. Let me know if either of those options work.

buckeyetrouter
07-07-2008, 08:57 PM
1(one) more tyer needed and we can get rolling

ok Ben.....looks like we have 9 and waiting on #10 to commit.....go ahead and do your moderator thing since you did such a good job on the last one (Thank You)...I will photo and post a movie of the final flies when they arrive........ps...was hoping to get down this month or august but we now have to put a new furnace in and with the dual fuel furnace and central air we will be limiting ourselves to the Oct. trip (unless the lottery comes thru;) )

Gerry....I think you are right and that is a great idea.....so now you can post either 2 yellow, or 2 orange....or 1 yellow and 1 orange if your fly choice allows.....if there are no objections with this then Ben can take off with this show and we just need to let him know what we will be brewing up on the laboratory........

God Bless & Good Fishing
bob

buckeyetrouter
07-07-2008, 09:06 PM
oh yea.....make my tye the Smokey Mountain Forked Tail from Hugh's website......*I reserve the right to change my mind withing 24 hrs....give or take a few minutes (ya gotta give me a break, I'm a northerner.....for now)

God Bless & Good Fishing
bob

Redfish62
07-07-2008, 09:42 PM
If no one has made a claim to a yellow elk hair caddis I would like that is my perferd but I am very flexible.

Redfish62

Fly_Man_Bill
07-08-2008, 03:01 AM
I am look forward to the fly swap. This will give me a reason to take a break from my honey do list and tie some flies.

May God Bless You...

Bill

Fly_Man_Bill
07-08-2008, 03:10 AM
I forgot to ask do we have a list of tyers and what kind of flies each will be tying?

Bill

Flyfishjeep
07-08-2008, 04:22 PM
We are waiting on one more fly tier for this swap, but I think we can all get started with our flies. You are allowed to make 20 flies in either yellow or orange. Nymph, Dry or wet flies are ok to tie for this swap. Everyone enjoys getting something different so have fun with this swap.

Let's have the flies in the mail by August 1st which gives us a good 3 weeks to complete these flies
Here are the rules for the fly swap!!!

1. Please don't procrastinate, everyone is counting on you to make this a successful swap.

2. Each fly will need to have a toetag, this is just a small piece of paper with your LRO username on it.

3. When you are finished with your flies, post on here and send me an email and I will let you know where to send them to.

4. Send your flies in a crushproof container with a return self-addressed envelope with return postage. The little plastic boxes you get when you buy flies from LRO work well. What ever box you send your flies in will be returned to you.

5. Communication is very important! Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Below is a list of the participants and their selection
FlyManBill--
Redfish62 -- Yellow Elk Hair Caddis
Buckeyetrouter -- Smokey Mtn Forked Tail
UofMontanaAlum --
PeteCz --
Flyfishjeep --
BlueRaiderFan --
jgduckhunter --
Gerry Romer --

drag line
07-08-2008, 04:57 PM
I would be interested in doing this swap. I will tie a crackle back if that is ok. Please let me know and I will get started. Thanks Bill

jgduckhunter
07-08-2008, 07:40 PM
i am going to try a orange version of a tellico that someone showed me once if that's cool with everyone. ya'll will have to cut me a little slack i am a rookie.

buckeyetrouter
07-08-2008, 07:47 PM
that tellico sounds interesting......this is not a tye'm and judge'm swap, have fun and enjoy the fellowship of the swap and hopefully we can all learn something and we will have some new flies to try next time out fishing...any skill level is welcome here so have fun and enjoy.....don't be afraid to ask questions if you have any, there is a fairly informative bunch in this tye who I'm sure will help/answer where needed.....

God Bless & Good Fishing
bob

BlueRaiderFan
07-08-2008, 10:42 PM
I'll go with a yellow bead head zebra midge (Yes, I made it up, but it might work!).:p I am going to Townsend on the 16th and taking my sister on her first fly fishing trip on the 17th, so I will be hard pressed and have to go with a simple pattern.

Worrgamesguy
07-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Wow this seems really cool. I wish I knew how to tie my own flies. I also wish I knew how to catch more fish on the fly rod, I can see from the moment I cast my EHC to the moment I caught my first trout on the fly over and over in my head. Exhilerating.

Gerry Romer
07-08-2008, 11:47 PM
I may shoot for two again on this one. I see no one has claimed the classic stimulator so I'll try that in orange and yellow. And I've been playing around with the stretch tubing so I'm gonna try and throw in some midge larva imitations in yellow (chartreuse) and orange if that's okay.

Gerry

ps that stimulator's gonna be a variant using closed cell foam instead of dubbing... should float like a cork and be highly visible.

Fly_Man_Bill
07-09-2008, 04:06 AM
I will tye a yellow plamer. Can't wait to see every bodys flies.

May God Bless You...

Bill

UofMontanaAlum
07-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Make mine a hotwire beadhead brassie.

**Edit: Put me down for two flies as well. I will tie the hotwire brassie along with a glass bead midge pupa. I will tie 2 of each for each participant (total of 40 flies).

***Edit2: I was a busy boy today. Got the glass bead midge pupas and the toe tags done before supper time.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Elmobile/P7090003.jpg

PeteCz
07-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Yellow Sparkle Dun for me...

Flyfishjeep
07-09-2008, 02:45 PM
All Right everyone we seem to have our list complete. Everyone seems anxious to get started so if you finish early don't hesitate to send me an email so I can get you an address.
flyfishjeep@hotmail.com

Below is a list of the participants and their selection
FlyManBill--Yellow Palmer
Redfish62 -- Yellow Elk Hair Caddis
UofMontanaAlum -- Hotwire beadhead brassie
PeteCz -- Yellow Sparkle Dun
Flyfishjeep -- Teal and Green (Hugh Hartsell Pattern)
BlueRaiderFan -- Yellow Beadhead Zebra Midge
jgduckhunter -- Orange Tellico
Gerry Romer -- Orange Stimulater
Drag Line -- Crackle Back

BlueRaiderFan
07-09-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm not done. I thought I had to tie two flies total...Doh!

Fly_Man_Bill
07-10-2008, 03:56 AM
I'm done with my flies. Uof MontanaAlum those are really good looking flies.

May God Bless You...

Bill

Flyfishjeep
07-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Holy Crap you guys are fast!
BRF I just sent you my address.
The rest of you when you finish send me an email @ flyfishjeep@hotmail.com

jgduckhunter
07-10-2008, 07:19 PM
i am waiting on ups but i'll tie mine up the day he comes

BlueRaiderFan
07-10-2008, 09:20 PM
O.k...Now I'm done...For real...Man, that was a lot of midges.:eek:

Fly_Man_Bill
07-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Flyfishingjeep,

I was woundering if we had to wait for everyone to get done before we mailed out our flies? I left you a e-mail the other day from my wifes e-mail address about a address to send the flies to. What do I need to buy to ship my flies in? Also I was wanting to know if I can tie some orange palmers to send with the flies that I all ready tied or will that be to many to handel? If so I'll tie them on #12 hooks.

May God Bless you...

Bill

Flyfishjeep
07-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Bill-
Send me another email and I will give you my address.
You don't have to wait until everyone is done. I hold onto all of them until they all arrive and then I send them out. Mail them in the little round containers you get at LRO or a small fly box. Whatever you send them in you will receive them back.
Anyone is more than welcome to send extra flies to be distributed, nobody will fuss over that!
Let me know if you guys have any other questions.
-Ben

Fly_Man_Bill
07-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Flyfishjeep,

Got the info, I will have my flies in the mail Monday or Tuesday. I tied 20 Yellow Palmers on #10 hooks and 20 Orange Palmers on #12 hooks. I also put a few flies for your time as minster. These flies my grandfather showed me how to tie. Hope you enjoy them...

May God Bless You...

Bill

PeteCz
07-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Bill, do you use #10 and #12 size flies in the Park? I haven't heard many folks talk about flies that large, very often. I'd be interested to know how you do with them, compared to others (like the venerable #16 PA or Neversink Caddis).

I had been stuck in a rut using #16s (or smaller) and on Saturday finally tied on a #14 Yellow Stimi in the heavy water on WPLP thinking I would scare the fish...the exact opposite happened. I didn't have anything larger, but I've since tied some #12s just to give them a try...

What's been your experience? Do you use them exclusively or only in special situations? What other flies do use in that size? Just curious...

Fly_Man_Bill
07-14-2008, 12:14 AM
PeteCz
It depends on where I fish. From the old iron gate above Elkmont to the "Y" I fish with # 4 or 6 hooks. From the foot brigde at the parking lot on Tremont down to the entrance I fish with the same flies.These flies will be weighted. I will be fishing for big fish. I do really well with these flies. Any where else in the park I use #8,10,12 hooks. I do catch alot of fish with these flies also, but not the size of fish I catch on the #4 or 6 hooks. I hardly ever fish with anything smaller than a #10. If the creeks are low or if I'm fishing high up in the mountains I will use # 10 to #12 flies.These flies will have some weight on them also. I get some really strange looks from other fly fisherman when I show them my flies. I took a guy from work who is a really good fly fisherman fishing at Little River. When he seen my flies I tought he was going to pass out. He wanted to know if I planed on fishing or if I was going to knock out the fish from the shock wave my flies were going to cause. I got a big laugh from that. After I caught an 18 inch brown and 2 in the 15 inch range. He stated"I would never had beleived that you could catch fish like that." Needless to say this does not happen every trip but I do catch some really good fish. I weight all my flies even if they are suppose to be dry. It is some thing I have done for years. I never learned to fish with dry flies. I have always fished with Nymphs and Wet flies. I find this way of fishing fits my style of fly fishing. The flies I tied for the swap are not weigthed. This way of fishing takes a little getting use to. It can be flustrating and rewarding depending on how you look at it. I've fished all day and got a few hits but other days I fish and catch some big fish. Hope this info. helps you and good luck if you try it.
Fly list:
Wooly Buggers (#4 & 6 hooks black or dark green in color)
Bitch Creek(#4 hooks black in color)
Crow Fly (#6 hooks black or peacock in color)
Tellico Nymph (#6 & #8 yellow in color)
Stone Flies (#4 & #6 black in color)
Pheasant Tail Nymph (#8 brown in color)
Hare's Ear nymph (#8 & #10 standard color)
Prince Nymph (#6 & #8 in peacock)
Yellow Palmers (#8,10,12)
Orange Palmers(#8,10,12)
Green Palmers(#8,10,12)
Male Adams (#8,10,12)
Female Adams (#8,10,12)

May God Bless You... John 3:16

Bill

Stonefly
07-14-2008, 07:36 AM
For what it's worth, 25-30 yrs ago a #14 was considered pretty small.

sb

Fly_Man_Bill
07-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Flyfishjeep
Does each fly need a toe tag or do we need just one tag for all 20? Also will a money order work for the return postage?

May God Bless You...

Bill

Flyfishjeep
07-14-2008, 11:11 AM
It would work best if each PAIR of flies had a toe tag. That way it takes up less room in the containers.

You can send a money order if you like or drop some change in the envelope when you send it. Either way is fine

If anyone lives near Sevierville you are more than welcome to stop by my work and drop them off.
I work at Kitchen Sales which is off of Main St. It is just west of Hwy 66 and Chapman Hwy intersection.

Fly_Man_Bill
07-17-2008, 12:04 PM
My flies are in the mail.:smile: I put money in for return postage.

Thanks-

Fly_Man_Bill

Flyfishjeep
07-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Redfish62-
Your flies arrived and they look great. Your proportions are great, and I can't wait to use them!

Flyfishjeep
07-17-2008, 09:33 PM
BlueRaiderFan-
Your midges arrived and they look good.
On a side note I did not see a return prepaid postage?
I think I can spot you this time.

FlyManBill--Yellow Palmer
Redfish62 -- Yellow Elk Hair Caddis --------------------Received
BlueRaiderFan -- Yellow Beadhead Zebra Midge ---------Received
Gerry Romer -- Orange Stimulater

BlueRaiderFan
07-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Crap! I'm sorry! I knew I forgot something:redface: I owe you one :biggrin:

Redfish62
07-18-2008, 07:10 AM
Thanks Flyfishjeep,
I am glad they got there and you like them.
It has been a great fly for me this summer.

Flyfishjeep
07-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Fly Man Bill-
Thank you for the bonus flies!!! I will put them to good use next week.
Your swap flies look great.
Thanks for participating!

Fly_Man_Bill
07-18-2008, 10:59 PM
Flyfishjeep,
The extra flies I sent to you are weighted. I hope they work for you. I fish those same patterns but on a size #6 hook. Again I hope you enjoy the flies and good luck fishing next week.

May God Bless You...

Bill

Flyfishjeep
07-21-2008, 03:50 PM
I have only 4 flies left to tie. Keep up the good work everyone. The flies I have received so far all look great!

10 Days Left

FlyManBill--Yellow Palmer------------------------------Received
Gerry Romer -- Orange Stimulater ----------------------Received

UofMontanaAlum
07-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Just got back from a week in Montana and I will be in Minneapolis for 3 days on a business trip. I'll be finishing up the brassies in my hotel room. :biggrin: I'll mail them all out on Friday.

Flyfishjeep
07-22-2008, 11:17 AM
UofMontana-
I grew up about an hour north of Minneapolis. You have some great fishing any direction from the Airport. There are a lot of nice lakes of course (land of 10,000 lakes) and some great smallie rivers.
Make sure you find a Culver's Restraunt for me. It is a chain, but they have my favorite burger "[B]double deluxe[B] "
Have a good trip.

UofMontanaAlum
07-22-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm in Minneapolis about 2-3 times a month for work. As I become familiar with the territory I will start packing my gear with me.

I see you work for Kitchen Sales, are you in sales? I work for Whirlpool/Maytag Corporation as a corporate trainer and I know Kitchen Sales sells both Maytag and JennAir products.

buckeyetrouter
07-23-2008, 06:57 AM
all done with the flies, just gotta tag them and put them in the mail.......

God Bless & Good Fishing
Bob

Flyfishjeep
07-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Yes I am in Sales. I have been doing cabinets for about 5 yrs now. It is slower that what we are used to, but I am blessed to be busy.
Joy Gornto is our rep on your appliances, and she communicates the best with us out of any rep we have.
You have a tough job remembering all the little details that seperate the models along with the constant changes and upgrades. I'm glad that I don't have to remember all that!

Fly_Man_Bill
07-23-2008, 12:23 PM
:biggrin: Flyfishjeep

My dad was wondering if you have had a chance to try the flies we tied for you.we would like for you to know that the flies work the best in the park and other local streams. Such as North River and the Tellico area. The flies do not work well in tail waters. Hope you enjoy the flies and fishing...

May God Bless You

Fly Girl Betty Jo

Flyfishjeep
07-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Fly Girl-
I have not had a chance yet. Hockey and late appointments this week kept me from fishing. I will more than likely try them tomorrow or Friday.
I will let you know once they get wet.
Thanks again for the bonus flies.
-Ben

UofMontanaAlum
07-23-2008, 11:53 PM
FFJ,

Good to hear you are being taken care of by your sales rep. I know what you mean about the product changes/transitions. That is actually what I love about my job. The things change so rapidly, I've always got something new to sell. My job never gets boring, that's for sure.

I've got my midges done and I will mail them either Friday or Saturday. They should make great dropper flies for all the dries the others are tying.

Flyfishjeep
07-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Drag Line -- Crackle Back------------------------------Received

PeteCz
07-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Ben, I just dropped 30 Doc's Corks in the mail (20 Orange and 10 Yellow). You should get them by Wednesday. I decided against the Yellow Sparkle Duns after I caught 0 fish on them during two different trips to Tremont...

Flyfishjeep
07-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Flyfishjeep -- Teal and Green (Hugh Hartsell Pattern)----Received
jgduckhunter -- Orange Tellico-------------------------Received

3 DAYS LEFT

buckeyetrouter
07-29-2008, 08:24 PM
they are in the mail, if you don't get them today or tomorrow let me know

bob

BlueRaiderFan
07-29-2008, 10:15 PM
they are in the mail, if you don't get them today or tomorrow let me know

bob

Hey Bob,

I never got the chest, but don't worry about it:smile: Give it to some kid or sell it if you still have it. I think I am going to get something where the drawers pull out of the front. Thanks so much for offering to give it to me. It was a really nice gesture.

God Bless,

Dwayne

buckeyetrouter
07-30-2008, 06:38 AM
you sure Dwayne....been in Ill. but am back in home area for a bit and can get it out this week....let me know for sure....sorry for the delay, work has been very over the edge (corp. downsizing) and they've been sending me everywhere......I'm off thurs and fri and can get to the ups store if you can still use it........

God Bless & Good Fishing
bob

BlueRaiderFan
07-30-2008, 07:22 AM
Yeah, it's no big deal. I may not have room for one anyway. Like I said, my house is tiny and I have to be very selective as to what I bring into it. I'm not even certain that I can buy the one I want from Cabella's because of the size. I think I may try and use some sort of small gear bag instead now that I think about it. Thank again! :smile:

Flyfishjeep
07-30-2008, 07:45 PM
UofMontanaAlum -- Hotwire beadhead brassie-----------Received
PeteCz -- Yellow Sparkle Dun--------------------------Received
Flyfishjeep -- Teal and Green (Hugh Hartsell Pattern)----Received
jgduckhunter -- Orange Tellico-------------------------Received

BlueRaiderFan
07-30-2008, 07:55 PM
I'll send you a few bucks soon, or when I get the flies (it will remind me). IF you don't mind, put a return address on it. I may have lost your address. Thanks again,

BRF

Flyfishjeep
08-01-2008, 04:40 PM
All the flies have arrived! My flybox is now full and I will let you know how they work...

Just kidding. All the flies look great and I will have them in the mail on Monday. Please let me know when they arrive. Thanks to all who participated.
Be sure to post later if you catch fish on someone's creations!

Bob- When you have time from your busy schedule can you do another slide show with the flies? If not, someone else with skills can take over

Thanks again,
-Ben

buckeyetrouter
08-01-2008, 08:08 PM
hey Ben.....just picked up the Nikon D80 so I'll be glad to make the slide show.....

bob

Flyfishjeep
08-04-2008, 08:44 PM
The Flies are in the mail! Please let me know when they arrive. I did not send you back the flies that you tied unless there were enough. I seemed to have 11 packages, but I can't remember who was the extra person was.
Enjoy the flies everyone and thank you for participating. I'm sure we will do another swap this winter as cabin fever sets in.

Gerry Romer
08-04-2008, 10:42 PM
That eleventh package was probably for you! One of the bennies of being the ADMINISTRATOR!! enjoy...

Gerry

PeteCz
08-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Ben, my flies made it to my mailbox today. They all look great! Great work everyone!

As far as getting 11 packages...I think everyone tied 20 flies (plus extras). Usually you get two of your own back to you, so if you didn't send the tiers flies back to them, you would have one extra set from each person...hence, the 11th set...enjoy!

drag line
08-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for the great flies from everyone. Hope the crackle backs are not to ugly to fish. They are great on the clinch. Hope to do this again ,Bill

Fly_Man_Bill
08-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Just got the flies from the swap. I'm like a kid on Christmas opening gifts. All of the flies look great. I am looking forward to tying them on my line and hooking some fish with these new flies. Thanks to every one that took part in this swap. I hope we can do another swap soon.

May God Bless You... John 3:16

Fly Man Bill

Gerry Romer
08-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Got mine today and I have to agree, they all look great!

Question. I'm pretty sure Pete figured out the 11th set dilemma, however...

I actually delivered 40 flies: 10 Yellow Stimulators, 10 Orange Stimulators, 10 Chartreuse Jelly Midges, and 10 Orange Jelly Midges. I didn't get any of mine back - which is okay because I always tie way more than I need. In fact I just remembered I gave Ben and extra set of 10 Yellow Doc's Corks that I had left over from the last swap.

So I just wanted to make sure that you all got these bonus flies... or is that part of the extra set?

Or am I just confusing things??

Can't wait to get these things wet!!

Gerry

Redfish62
08-06-2008, 07:15 AM
Great flies everyone!
Received my flies yesterday and they are great.
Big thanks to Flyfishjeep for your time and effort.
Big thanks for every one for sharing there time and skills.
Canít wait to try them out.

Redfish62

Flyfishjeep
08-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Glad to hear the flies are showing up quickly. I still can't figure out what I did different that made me think we had 11 packages. That is why you did not receive back your own flies. I actually had to tie 2 more flies on Sunday to fill all the packages except my own.
Gerry, the extra doc's corks are sitting on my fly tying desk, I had them off to the side to add in last and it never happened. I will make sure I give them out to other flyfisherman I speak with on the streams as a bonus.

Gerry Romer
08-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Gerry, the extra doc's corks are sitting on my fly tying desk, I had them off to the side to add in last and it never happened. I will make sure I give them out to other flyfisherman I speak with on the streams as a bonus.

Ben --

:cool:

Did we somehow end up with an anonymous eleventh tier?!

buckeyetrouter
08-06-2008, 05:34 PM
got the flies today and it was a God thing. Things are work are very bleak and doesn't look like we may survive the year as a company....but getting to open that package and view the skill, care and effort that all the tiers put in made me forget about the trouble for a bit, thanks guys.....flies look great and I will start shooting them tonight and hope to get the video posted no later than this weekend........

God Bless and Good Fishing
bob

BlueRaiderFan
08-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Bob,

Sorry to hear that. Hope you make it. Also, got my flies today. Man...some of you guys have some serious skills. I get dibbs on midges from now on because every dry fly I've tied looks like crap compared to almost all of the stuff you guys made. Thanks for the nice effort and quality, guys.

Dwayne

Flyfishjeep
08-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Ben --

:cool:

Did we somehow end up with an anonymous eleventh tier?!

I did not count myself as an eleventh tier. I always fill my container last.
For all I know I actually counted 10 containers. As long as everyone gets their flies I will consider it a success.
I think next swap I will hire a secretary and shop manager.

BlueRaiderFan
08-06-2008, 10:14 PM
For all I know I actually counted 10 containers. As long as everyone gets their flies I will consider it a success.

What's wrong? I didn't have any problems. :biggrin:

Redfish62
08-07-2008, 07:15 AM
No problems with mine,
Best wishes and hopes to Buckeytrouter sorry to here your in a rough spot,
What do you do for a living if you do not mind me asking?

Gerry Romer
08-07-2008, 09:22 AM

The eleventh tier line was just a joke...:redface:

I think you did a great job! Thanks again.

Gerry

Flyfishjeep
08-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Bob- We all hope things turn around for you. Remember that there is always room down here for you. I'm sure Byron wouldn't mind having you as a local customer. "wink, wink".

buckeyetrouter
08-07-2008, 04:23 PM
district manager for the nations largest car wash franchise.....thanks for the concern guys, I'm sure things will be ok one way or the other....this may be the push that I need to find something south.....like about 7 hrs south :smile: ...
Trust and Faith will carry me thru so I'm not worried......

I will be working on photographing the flies tonight and may have them posted by Friday night or Sat......

God Bless & Good Fishing
Bob

Gerry Romer
08-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm....

They just built that huge new car wash right behind Byron's place but I never see anyone using it. Seems to me they could use some "Marketing"! Maybe somebody with experience...

Just a thought.

Fly_Man_Bill
08-07-2008, 11:13 PM
Buckeyetrouter,
Sorry to hear about your work. We just got told that things were slowing down at work and they would be a lay-off. All we can do is pray and let the Lord take care of things. Oh I forgot I work in the auto. industry. We make engine parts. Just hang in there it will be O.K. We just need to keep a good out look on things. By the way you tie some nice flies. I think everyone done a really great job and everyone who took part has some great fly tying skills.

May God Bless You... Psalm 91:2

Bill

jgduckhunter
08-09-2008, 01:02 PM
got my flies today they all look awesome thank's to everyone

PeteCz
08-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Yesterday I fished with several of the patterns that everyone tied and I managed to catch fish on the Dragline's Crackleback and Gerry's Orange Jelly Midge. I didn't have much time so I only got try a few of the flies. I'll keep posting as I catch more fish...

Dragline, do you have a site that lists the Crackleback recipe that you use. I managed to catch about 6 fish in a pretty short amount of time (both wet style and as a dry).

nunavut4
08-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Hi guy's,

I just got back into town from a week at the beach. I was going throught the mail and lo and behold there is a package with my name on it and a ton of sweet flies enclosed, including a couple of the Yellar Hammer soft Hackles I tied back this spring for the first fly swap. these are the same flies that were "lost in the mail" back then.

Not sure what to do with the flies. Since mine did not make the original swap you all were kind enough to send me the flies you tied anyways. I now have a bunch of nice flies that I do not feel that I deserve. Please let me know to whom I should return the flies.

All of the flies I received are truly works of art. You all did a great job.

I am happy to know that the flies that I tied will not go to waste "lost" in some postal facility.

Mark

UofMontanaAlum
08-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Yesterday I fished with several of the patterns that everyone tied and I managed to catch fish on the Dragline's Crackleback and Gerry's Orange Jelly Midge. I didn't have much time so I only got try a few of the flies. I'll keep posting as I catch more fish...

Dragline, do you have a site that lists the Crackleback recipe that you use. I managed to catch about 6 fish in a pretty short amount of time (both wet style and as a dry).

The first fly I ever learned how to tie was the Crackleback. And guess who taught me how ... Dragline. :) I'll let Bill tell ya'll how he ties them if he wants to share. This is my favorite Clinch River fly, hands down. I fish it as a wet fly, stripping it slowly back. I've caught a few with it :biggrin:

By the way, the flies arrived Saturday. Great looking flies tied by all. Thanks everyone!!!