PDA

View Full Version : 2 Trips to Lynn Camp

caught 108
07-02-2008, 09:29 PM
I was the 1st one to sign in opening mourning of the fish out. The fishing was GREAT!! I caught and kept 58 Rainbows 6'' to 11" I caught and released 30 rainbows 3"-5" I fished from 7:15-1"00. I went back the 1st Sunday was 3rd to sign in again the fishing was great I caught and kept 50 Rainbows 5" to 9" I caught and released 12 rainbows 3"-4" I fished from 8:00-1:00. I had a BLAST both trips. Thats 108 5"-11" Rainbows kept 42 3"-5" Rainbows released. That little creek is full of fish I only wish I could have went back 3 or 4 more times. I thank The LORD for every chance I get to go. Good Luck to All. Sincerly Caught 108

jwebb541
07-02-2008, 09:36 PM
My trip's success isn't measured in inches or fish kept but sounds like you had fun

ijsouth
07-02-2008, 10:40 PM
You know, you weren't supposed to release ANY of the rainbows during the fishout....

Speckleman5
07-02-2008, 10:50 PM
It may have been tough to carry a toe sack full of them out, haha, glad you helped get rid of a few of em anyways.:biggrin:

Shaggy
07-02-2008, 10:51 PM
I rarely keep trout when I fish. Did most people keep the fish and just toss them somewhere? Did you fillet 3-5 inch trout and eat them? I have never kept a wild fish. I eat stockers from Tellico or the Hiwassee occasionally. Come to think of it, I have never eaten a brown trout either. What does one do with 108 wild rainbows? I know you were supposed to kill them, seems it would be very troubling for me to do so. :frown:

Dukee
07-02-2008, 11:47 PM
OK, Dumb question but what was " allowed" during the fishout that increased catch numbers? was it the bait? Would someone explain the process. Thanks ahead of time.

Fly_Man_Bill
07-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Shaggy
I fished at Lynn Camp 2 times myself. Both times I caught a lot of fish. I know that my brother and I followed you the first day we fished. I'm glad that you had fun and you caught that many fish. The people working at the tent told me that they wished more people had turned out for the fish out. They also told me that the few people who showed up to fish did not hurt the population in this stream. I feel like the fish that people caught helped the park some what. I hate to see all of those fish that are going to be killed go to waste. I know that they will go back into the ecosystem as food for the animals and such. So, I guess that the fish are not going to waste so to speak. I would like to see the park open the fish out again for a couple of weeks. Again great 2 days of fishing...

May God Bless You...

Fly Man Bill

Speckleman5
07-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Dukee, Nothing out of the ordinary was allowed. Still Single Hook Artificial only.

Fly_Man_Bill
07-03-2008, 01:58 AM
Sorry, Shaggy I was responding to Caught 108 about his trips to Lynn Camp. Put the wrong name at the start my mistake...

ijsouth
07-03-2008, 07:17 AM
I participated in the fishout, on the first day, and while I didn't catch nearly as many fish, I had a decent stringer of them. I had a few that were decent sized, but I also had a few very small ones, and it was a very strange, uncomfortable feeling keeping those. They're in my freezer now, and I'll eat all of them, even the small ones - I'll just grill them whole...if I had to keep them, I won't waste them. I can't stand the attitude a lot of people down here have - they don't consider a trip a success unless they load up their ice chests with speckled trout and redfish - then, because they're lazy and sunburned (and sometimes half crocked from beer), they give the fish away to their neighbors or the cats because they don't feel like cleaning them.

Brian Griffing
07-03-2008, 08:55 AM
I know you were supposed to kill them, seems it would be very troubling for me to do so. :frown:

Why?

As far as filleting goes, I almost never fillet a trout I cook them bone in and flake the meat off with a fork when they are done. The skin, tail and head help hold the whole thing together while it is cooking. This can be tough with the little guys, but their bones are soft enough that you can just pick them up and eat'em like a small piece of corn on the cob.

Fly_Man_Bill
07-03-2008, 10:46 AM
The Lynn Camp fish out was a way for the park to reduce the fish population in this stream. The park wanted people to keep the fish and to enjoy the fishing. I kept the fish that I caught.
I know some people who never keep fish in the park. They release every thing they land. That is fine if that is their wish but I feel like some of these fish will die due to stress. So if their going to die why not keep a few to eat (leagle size). I have no problem with some one who keeps fish. I think it helps the population and the over all size of the fish. I have talked to several of the park service and they all tell me that keeping fish in the park is not going to hurt the fishing or the over all population. Keeping fish is one way the park helps to control the fish population. If a person wants to keep fish he or she should not be shunned by other fisherman.
I was fishing on Little River a few years ago when I got the 3rd degree from a fellow fly fisherman about keeping a limit of fish. The way this guy was going on, a person would have thought that I shot his dog or something. He was in a red face rage and screamming. I can not tell you some of the words he used. It was pretty bad talk for a grown man. After he got done I just looked at him with this dumb look on my face. When the shock finally pasted I just smiled at him and told him to have a nice day and I left him in the creek. I did not let this person get to me. I was back in the streams fishing the next day. It is up to the person fishing to make the choice to keep fish or to release them. It is not my place or any other persons right to pass judgement on a person for keeping fish or letting them go.

May God Bless You.. Philippians 4:13

Bill

PeteCz
07-03-2008, 03:08 PM
I did not let this person get to me. I was back in the streams fishing the next day. It is up to the person fishing to make the choice to keep fish or to release them. It is not my place or any other persons right to pass judgement on a person

Bill, Great post on a lot of levels. I highlighted the section that I like the most. Its amazing how opinionated (and self-righteous) people can be without knowing all the facts. As we've discussed on the board in the past, keeping fish (within the regulations) is good for the overall population of fish in the park. Most streams in the park are at or over their carrying capacity. A huge percentage of fish will die each year from starvation. If someone wants to take a few home and eat them, more power to them.

The purpose of the fish-out was to remove as many fish as possible (including the 3-5" ones). Even if someone took the fish home and put them in their garden or fed them to their cat, they were at least put to some good use. We all need to lighten up on the C&R ethic as being the only way to fish. Granted, there are folks who abuse the regulations and they should be chastized (an fined), but those folks in the self-righteous "don't-harm-a-single-fish" group need to realize that pummeling everyone with your opinions isn't going to change another person's mind, it only makes you look foolish...

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/PeteCz21/icon_twocents.gif

nvr2L8
07-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Don't hold back, now, Pete. Tell us what you really think. :biggrin:

caught 108
07-03-2008, 05:36 PM
I am 38 yrs old I HATE cats I do not drink beer I will not keep a fish less than 5" even where its legal I have been fly fishing since I could walk up the creek In the park I fish till I catch 5 fish 7" or better outside the park I fish till I catch 7 fish 5" or better I wet my hands and be easy as possible with every fish I release I sit down right where I stop fishing and clean my fish in the creek I have a wife and three boys and we all love fried trout I have to go catch my limit 4-5 times for a good fish fry so this fish out was a perfect chance to stock up some are done eat the rest are in the freezer none will be wasted Opening day I wondered how many fish I could catch in a day about 1:00 I realized that I could catch more than I wanted to carry 3-4 miles back to the truck I will remember both trips for a very long time and try if you want you cant rain on my parade sincerly caught 108

ijsouth
07-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Some very good sentiments expressed in the last few replies...these streams are at capacity, and keeping a few for the table can only help them. It's funny - the situation I described from down here is 180 out of phase with the 'no kill' attitude...down here, it's a meat situation...both are extremes to be avoided.

Bill:

You're a better man than I...if someone started screaming like that at me, he would be wearing his flyrod in a very uncomfortable manner.

ijsouth
07-03-2008, 05:41 PM
No problem catching as many as you could during the fishout...but, you were supposed to keep them all - if you couldn't carry any more, you should have simply stopped fishing. Part of the point of all this was for the park service to be able to log the sizes and numbers, etc.

caught 108
07-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Both days when I caught what I wanted I did stop the park counted and measured 108 Rainbows I dont see the problem in releasing a few fish if I wanted sardines I would go to the store and buy sardines caught 108

ijsouth
07-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Because those are (or were) the rules...it doesn't matter how you feel about it, that's what it was. Also, even though it was anticipated that this fishout wouldn't put much of a dent in the rainbow populations in Lynn Camp, every fish removed will make the chemical treatment it will get this fall that much more effective...they have to remove ALL of the rainbows - that's why electrofishing isn't being used...it didn't get them all.

Shaggy
07-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Wow! I had to go back and read my post again, since it looks like I am getting hammered here. All that I was asking is "what does one do with all of these tiny fish?" I really wanted to know if people ate them or simply discarded them. I personally would not have taken part in this fish-out either due to the fact that I would not want to be required to keep 3-5" fish.

I certainly was not judging anyone. The rules state that you can keep fish, so keep fish. No problem for me. I choose not to keep fish most of the time. If I were camping in the park and caught some decent sized fish, I would certainly eat them.

Paula Begley
07-03-2008, 09:08 PM
I know nobody on this forum would intentionally hammer anyone. Because we just don't do that here.

Right?

Paula

JimmyC
07-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Nothing tastes quite as wonderful as wild trout. My favorite "what the hay" looks come from the folks out west. It cracks me up to see them grimmace and squirm when I fry up a nice 19" cutthroat at the campground grills.

And for the record, brook and lake trout are the tastiest! :biggrin:

ijsouth
07-03-2008, 09:40 PM
You're kewl Shaggy...I felt a little awkward killing the small ones myself - you just had to think it was for the ultimate good of the stream. So far, the only fish I've kept in the park have been rainbows from Lynn Camp - some from the fishout, and 2 from back in March. I really like going for the brookies, and even though it would probably be good to keep a few, I don't know if I can.

BlueRaiderFan
07-03-2008, 10:03 PM
I thought we couldn't keep the brookies?

caught 108
07-04-2008, 12:09 AM
when you are right you are right rules are rules I should have tried harder to keep every fish I caught wasnt wanting to argue if I ever get to fish in another fish out I will be sure to take extra bags and someone to help carry the fish sincerly caught 108

Fly_Man_Bill
07-04-2008, 01:30 AM
Caught 108
I feel that you done a great job in what the park as you to do. I myself released some very small fish durning the fish out. Yes, rules are rules and people bend the rules. I guess that I broke the rules. But I'm like you I put back more fish than I take from the park. Like I stated early in a post that I feel like I do more harm when I release a fish than when I keep one. In the post that Pete Cz posted he had some very good points about over population in park streams. How would you feel about the first 5 fish a person lands would make a limit. Do you think this would help the over all size and population of the fish in the park? Also would you like to see a trophy section in the park? May be the park could make a section of Little River a trophy stream with some type of slot limit on a fish. I know my grandfather talks about the trophy section that was in the park years ago. I think it was the West Prond of the Little Pigeon. Don't hold me to that I'm not 100% sure if I'm talking about the right stream. He did show me an old photo of him holding a 20 inch rainbow that he caught above the brigde on highway 441 at park head quarters. I think he caught it in the early to mid 1970's. He also stated that he hooked the fish on a "possum hair nymph" that a man in Newport who ran a little sporting goods store tied for him. The description of the fly that my grand dad gave me is: looks like a hare's ear nymph but it is grey and has silver ribbing and turkey quills for the shell case. The fly is tied on a good size hook (#6) and is weighted that way it can get down deep where the big ones live... From what he said the fly was tied from real opossum hair. I have never seen one... Any way this is just alittle food for though. Do you know if this stream was a trophy stream or not?

May God Bless You.. John 8:12

Bill

PeteCz
07-04-2008, 05:20 PM
If I'm not mistaken there was a fish rearing station around or above the Chimneys Picnic area (which used to be a campground) and that many of the brood stock would end up in the park in the WPLP. Also, I'm not sure how long they have been stocking the WPLP in Gatlinburg, but they have put some pretty large fish in there that could conceivably work there way up into the park.

I doubt the Park Service is interested in creating a Trophy Section on one of the streams. I'm not sure any of the streams are large enough to have a section where that could be properly developed, anyway. Plus, they have so much on their plate, with so little funding that it would not be easy to pull off.

Lastly, I think having a trophy section in the park, in such a fragile environment (small streams, little food) would be an invitation to wind up getting over fished (and poached, as well)...

Fly_Man_Bill
07-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Pete Cz
Good insight about the trophy stream. I guess on my part it is wishful thinking but I would like to see a stream or part of a stream become a trophy stream. I know Little River holds some large Browns because I have caught several over the years. I have hooked 3 in the past 5 years that I could not handle and they eventually broke my leader ( 8 pound test). I have fished all day for one bit at my flies. Some days when I fish I may not even get a look from a fish. I enjoy fishing for those monsters it is what drives me to go out and try. Do not take me wrong I do enjoy just being out of doors and enjoying what God has created for all of us.
I use really big flies when I fish. Other fly fisherman look at my flies in confusion. One guy (he was from out of town and not a fisherman) asked me if I was fishing for SteelHeads. I told him "no" "I was fishing for trout." I got a chuckle from the guys reaction. If I fish tail waters it takes me a good 2 hours to get to these waters. It would be nice to have some big fish water alot closer. I can be at Little River in 30 to 40 mins. from my home. If a stream held a good number of large fish it would give a person a better chance at a true trophy. But I have always been told that a trophy is in the eye of the beholder. I wounder if Trout Unlimited could help with funding for a stream. Any way it is good to dream... By the way have you ever seen a possum hare nymph? Agian you make some really good points that I did not stop to think about. Enjoy your post...

May God Bless You... John 3:16

Bill

mora521
07-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Abrams creek had special regs back in 86,two fish limit,over 12 inches.I usually cook my fish the way Brian Griffing describes.If you fish and let everything go, every time,you are missing out on some good eating.I usually don't keep them unless I am backpacking,but I did eat 4 brook trout cooked in foil with olive oil, salt, and pepper a couple of weeks ago.I cooked them in a driftwood fire on the bank of the creek I caught them from(Sams Creek).Oh,also the special regs on Abrams was fishing was open from April 15 to Sept 15 and closed the rest of the year,does anyone know how long those regs were in effect on Abrams?I was a soldier back then and only got to fish in the park once or twice a year and don't know when the special regs ended.

ijsouth
07-07-2008, 11:59 PM
We just got back from the mountains, so I haven't seen this thread in a while. Not to belabor a point, but I just think that the fisheries guys put the rules for the fishout in for a reason, and that if someone gets to the point that they can't carry any more, that would be a signal to quit. To me, it's common sense, but perhaps it's only obvious to me. Sarcasm doesn't change the situation.

Rog 1
07-08-2008, 10:08 AM
When I first started fishing in the Park there was a closed season from Sept. 15 to April 15 on all the water......there was still stocking going on and there was a hatchery station at what is now the Chimney's picnic area...this used to be a bustling campground as was Greenbrier back in the 60s.....all of the WPLP was a Sportsman's stream with regualtions that anything under 16" had to go back.....there used to be many a 50 fish day on this river....I only caught one fish there that was 16" and it wasn't until about 4-5 years ago....there used to be a large number of trout in there in the 12-14 inch range and it was a great place to go with just a spool of tippet and a fly box...

caught 108
07-10-2008, 11:54 PM
I never said I caught more than I could carry I said I could catch more than I wanted to carry and this situation would have been over long before now but you kept trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill yes I broke the rules and released some fish back in the creek I did not commit a violant crime and if you dont know the difference between sarcasm and the truth well thats your problem my 1st cousin stopped by this evening hes a park ranger he said they started the poisoning yesterday so I dont think it really matters now anyway caught 108

ijsouth
07-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Ok...it's time for this thread to die a natural death, but before it does, I think I need to clear some things up; looking back at my posts and yours, I think I could have expressed myself a little better - for that, I apologize. Also, as is typical in communication over the 'net, whether email, IM, or on a forum such as this, it has been my experience that a lot gets "lost in translation" because the other party isn't there, face to face. What I interpreted as sarcasm may have been off the mark.

Also, on one of my earlier replies, I referred to the mentality of a lot of fishermen down here in Southeast Louisiana; I was using that as a point of contrast to the attitude a lot of trout fishermen, particularly those who fly-fish, have in regards to keeping fish, etc...some people take the catch 'n release credo to an extreme, and think killing any trout is wrong - the point was, they are two examples on opposite ends of the spectrum. In a way, it's a bad comparison on my part, because the inshore saltwater fishery we have here is completely different from the beautiful, but infertile, Smoky Mountain streams. Anyway, the attitude the wasteful "meat hogs" we have down here was never intended to be applied to anyone on this forum, or for that matter anyone up there at all - it was just for illustration. Frankly, we probably should keep MORE fish than we do, under the normal regulations (of course)...it could only help the balance. I feel that I made a mistake by releasing an 8" rainbow I caught on Cosby just last week...I sort of instinctively released it, but I probably should have kept it to help the brook trout (it was fairly high up on Cosby, in what should be brookie territory).

As for my original point - following the rules...I respectfully maintain my position on that. I am also a golfer, and in golf, players are expected to call penalties on themselves, even if seemingly minor, like a ball slightly moved at address before playing. It might seem a bit anal, but I think, in circumstances like this, that the rules are important...'nuff said.

One last note - they're already starting the poisoning process? There was some confusion on just when they would be closing Lynn Camp - everything I've read online indicated sometime early in the Fall...just curious.

caught 108
07-13-2008, 12:18 AM
I should have expressed my self better also and should not have broken the rules I apologize to. I think my information was wrong about the poisoning cause no one knows anything about it sorry for bad info will try to find out what is going on. caught 108

ijsouth
07-13-2008, 12:58 AM
Don't apologize for the timing of the closure; there have been all sorts of dates mentioned, here and in other places...frankly, the Park Service needs to do a better job of getting that information out...I just looked at the park's web site, and there is no mention of Lynn Camp closing at all, and frankly I don't remember seeing anything about the fishout either. There is a news release about TU donating a considerable sum for the restoration on Lynn Camp, but no mention of the date. The best information on it has been on this board...we decided to stay an extra day just because of the fishout.

Congratulations on the number of fish caught, and I know for a fact that it was no bs because when I checked in with my 10, they said someone had brought in 58. That is quite an accomplishment...I was happy with what I caught - for a variety of reasons, Lynn Camp doesn't seem to match up well with my style of fishing...horses for courses, as they say. Plus, we didn't go very far up - it's hard with my girls in tow, although my oldest has gotten pretty handy with a flyrod...I could have covered a lot more water if I was alone.