PDA

View Full Version : More on the stealth bomber

Troutman
07-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Fished for a few hours yesterday evening. Fishing was slow but caught a few. Tried out a few different colors of the stealth bomber. Chartruese green worked best on the bass and white caught a few gills.
They are becoming one of my favorite flies.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/Smallies08108.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/Smallies08081.jpg

mmorgan135
07-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Fished for a few hours yesterday evening. Fishing was slow but caught a few. Tried out a few different colors of the stealth bomber. Chartruese green worked best on the bass and white caught a few gills.
They are becoming one of my favorite flies.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/Smallies08108.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/Smallies08081.jpg

Nice fish Gary! Shoot me an email, I cant find you in my contacts. I finally moved into a house and got my boat in Knoxville. I thought we could plan a fishing trip sometime if you want. Let me know.

Troutman
07-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Sure Matt, We'll get together a weekend soon. Did you bring the toon or jon up? or both? Thinking we could do a multi-species float on the FB or lower Holston. I'll chip in for gas on the jon.
I'll be guiding my son this weekend, trying to put him on some smallies or carp, but the next weekend is free right now. I'll send you an email.

waterwolf
07-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Good looking bass Gary, did you catch those on the Little P. If so the water appears to be in good shape even as dry as it has been.

Troutman
07-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Nope, another local river. The LP is low and choked with the algea bloom right now but is still fishable if you don't mind pulling green slime off your leader and fly constantly.

mmorgan135
07-03-2008, 02:36 PM
I brought the jon up. I took a week of vacation starting the 14th so I will be planning alot of trips that week and also the weekend before and after. Shoot me an email and let me know.

Kent
07-11-2008, 01:18 PM
If anyone wants to give them a try, here's the recipe/tying instructions (http://flyfishga.com/stealth.htm) for the original.

Tite lines -

Byron Begley
07-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Gary dropped off two Stealth Bombers last week for Paula and I to take to Fall Creek Falls. I tied a black one on the 7 Wt rod. We fished green poppers size #8 because bluegill and bass could both be caught on the same fly. We used 5 wt and 6 wt rods all week. Fishing was excellent in the early morning and late evenings until dark. Last night we were catching mainly bass. I told Paula, "Let's try one of Gary's flies. I grabbed the 7 weight which had not been used all week. On the first cast a nice largemouth nailed it. I caught several bass then Paula did the same. We fished the fly until darkness fell. That is a killer fly! I even caught a big bluegill on it last night. We were stripping it fast but let it come to the surface every three strips so it would pop again.

Thanks Gary, I owe you some of my new green poppers.

Byron

Troutman
07-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Glad they worked. Kent designed a great fly. It is very easy to tie and works on multiple species. Be sure and check out his site. He has some cool patterns in the fly box. He would be a good person to have up this winter for a Saturday morning warm water tying session.

BTW.. Byron, how did the fly hold up? I glued the heck out of it! I had a problem with the first ones I tied, the tail feathers would pull out.

Byron Begley
07-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Gary,

It held up great. I don't know how many we caught on it. I probably caught 10 and Paula caught several. I looked at it this morning trying to figure out how to tie it. Then when I saw this thread I went on Kent's website to see how it is done. The fly not only pops on top but pushes a lot of water under the surface. I watched last night as one bass missed it then came back and missed it again. I like the way you shape the foam edges.

Byron

Butte Irish
07-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Byron, That fly is a really great fly. I am not sure if you can wear it out. Kent took me down on the river is GA cfor scholaie bass and one pushing 18 ate one and it was great.

The fly works well for the gills in Callaway and i heard that the conclave is mid MAY NEXT YEAR SO you can go and check it out for yourself.

The fly is good on the Nolichucky and on the FB, the new in va & NC, the other rivers in VA, and the ones in Vermont, New Hampshire and maine and conn. and the Buffalo in Arkansas. It even worked in N wisconsin and MN. The fly is almost as good as one of my hair bugs. LOL LOL LOL

I'll let you know later this year about my new secret smallie streams in Wyoming and montana.

Butte irish Dave

Bran
07-15-2008, 11:18 AM
I sure like mine but I haven't learned how to tie a really good one yet, still practicing it. Nice fish Gary!!--Bran

diamonddave7676
07-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Anyone know where I might could buy some of these? Does LRO have them?

Troutman
07-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Anyone know where I might could buy some of these? Does LRO have them?

I don't think anyone is carrying the SB fly for sale. Kent Edmonds is the fly designer and he may sell them. He was nice enough to give us the pattern template and they are pretty easy to tie. I think they are a better fly than the Gurgler and look how popular they are!

diamonddave7676
07-16-2008, 09:14 PM
I don't think anyone is carrying the SB fly for sale. Kent Edmonds is the fly designer and he may sell them. He was nice enough to give us the pattern template and they are pretty easy to tie. I think they are a better fly than the Gurgler and look how popular they are!

Well how would I contact him? Or is there anyone here that would be willing to tie and sell me a few of them since i dont know how to tie or have the time to get into fly tying?

Kent
07-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Sorry Dave - the stealth is my fly but I don't tie it for sale. I can barely keep enough tied for my guide trips.

Find someone to whip up a few. Or it's a good place to start tying - a little craft-shop foam, some thread, rubber legs, bucktail and a basic vise from Byron and you'll be in biz.

In the meanwhile, try a Turck's Tarantula or a Whitlock Swimming Frog.

Byron Begley
07-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi Kent,

Thank you for sharing your great fly with all anglers. I'm going to tie them for redfish and of course bass. Check your e-mail. I sent you one to ask if you could demonstrate your skills at Troutfest 2009.

Byron

Kent
07-24-2008, 05:04 AM
Thanks, Byron. I got your mail & will be in touch.

Skiing Elvis
08-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Well how would I contact him? Or is there anyone here that would be willing to tie and sell me a few of them since i dont know how to tie or have the time to get into fly tying?

Hey send me an email. I have time to tie you some. I actually just made some for fishing in Alabama for largemouths this weekend. I also do really well with them for bluegill and smallies in and around Nashville. The Stealth Bobmer is my new awesome fly to use!!:biggrin:

skiingelvis@hotmail.com