PDA

View Full Version : What kinda trout (Elk River)

highpockets
07-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Ok, fished the Elk today. Lived here for 16 years and fished the Elk all of them. But, today I caught a trout I couldn't ID. It looked like a brook trout, (red dots surrounded by black/gray) but lacked the yellowish orange bottom. It was about 12". If they stock brook trout in the Elk then I forgot!

whatisit?

Rockyraccoon
07-03-2008, 10:24 PM
I'd say it was a brown.

As a general rule, rainbows and browns have dark colored spots on light backgrounds while brookies have light colored spots on dark backgrounds.

ALflygirl
07-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Here's a brown from the Elk....Some are more brightly colored than others!

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii13/ALflygirl/DSC01690-1.jpg

Worrgamesguy
07-04-2008, 12:38 AM
Brookies have white tipped fins. The brookies in the Caney aren't wild, but they're more of a greyish with white spots and white fins whereas browns are actually brown with black and red spots.

highpockets
07-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Let me describe it better. If you took a Rainbow and stripped it of it's spots but left the silvery look to it. Then added very widely spaced red spots with black/gray rings around them. No white tips and no yellow belly.

I grew up in the smokies and have caught a slew of brownies and a "few" brookies and this thing looked like a brookie more than anything. I should have taken a picture but I was chest deep!

If you take the pic of the brown in this thread and took the yellow out of his fins and gill plates, then took 2/3 of his spots and left only the ones with the red in them you'd have this fish.

Worrgamesguy
07-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Still sounds like a brookie, or a very sick rainbow.

highpockets
07-04-2008, 12:56 PM
prettiest fish I caught all day. Beauty and size-wise.