PDA

View Full Version : Best Vice Under $200

BlueRaiderFan
07-11-2008, 01:15 PM
or LESS! I bought mine through Cabella (pedestal) for about $40 with tax and let me tell you...IT STINKS! lol. I've got to get a real vice and keep that one as a spare or give it to my sister (trying to get her hooked on fly fishing). Man this hobby is expensive!:p

Dawgvet
07-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Renzetti Traveler, no doubt.

Byron Begley
07-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Another vote for the Renzetti Traveler.

Byron

Gerry Romer
07-11-2008, 05:56 PM
A third vote for the Renzetti Traveler

And welcome back, Byron!

Gerry

BlueRaiderFan
07-11-2008, 06:55 PM
I read that it comes loose from the base. I guess I could solder it.

Gerry Romer
07-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Been beating mine up for over a year and never had it come loose from the base. In fact, when I recently had to pack it for a move, I had a pretty hard time disassembling it. It's a very well built vice for the money.

Fishermansfly
07-11-2008, 11:27 PM
The problem with most fishing gear is you really don't get to try it out before buying it. That being said don't forget LRO has a shelf full of vises they don't mind folks looking at! However this still presents a problem. Tying on a vise is a different story. The Renzetti Travler series vise is an excellent vise for the money. There are however, a few minor problems. The only real problem I have with this vise is tying in tails on bugs like FBPT. The vise leaves little room to manuever your fingers and the material, you just have to get used to it. The only other issue is the basic traveler doesn't offer a material clip. When your dealing with a true rotary it comes in very handy! But, no sweat because they can be easily purchased seperately through LRO...Heck, I think they may even have em in stock, and even purchasing that you still wouldn't break the $200 benchmark, ok maybe by a few dollars. All in all who cares because it is a great vise for the money!

Oh, I've had mine almost a year and a half longer than my father's had his...No base problems! My father for one, can tell you just what kinda roughness it's endured! Trips to the South Holston in the car tying the entire time up the wiers! All that jarring around and not so much as even a budge!

~Brett

danp413
07-11-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm also a big fan of the Traveler. I've had mine for a few years now. I love the rotary feature, which beats my Dad's vice (an old Herter's, which he's had since the late 50's or early 60's) that I learned to tie on. He likes the Traveler as well.

ttas67
07-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Brett nailed it. I have a traveler, and while I have no intention of getting rid of it (I love it) the problem with tying in tails is true. I thought about getting a material clip for it, but figured that would crowd the space even more.

another great vise is the regal.

buckeyetrouter
07-12-2008, 12:28 PM
BRF........

guess I just have to be different.....I purchased the Dyna King Barracuda Trekker Jr from LRO and really love it......I'm sure the R. traveller is a great vise but jsut wanted to give an opinion on another option. I believe Griff bought the Peak vise and he was also happy with it last time I talked to him........so there are options out there, I would suggest a tirp to LRO and get your hands on some different vises to see what feels good to you. Also you can tell the staff what type of tying you are wanting to get into and they may be able to suggest a more appropriate vise for your desires....

Giod Bless & Good Fishing
bob

BlueRaiderFan
07-12-2008, 02:24 PM
Guys,

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm certain I'll be happy with either of the vices. It will be a little while before I can buy any of this stuff, but I wanted to start learning now (I research like crazy before I spend my money...usually).

BRF

psnapp
07-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Renzetti Traveler gets my vote, too! I've used mine a lot for 5 yrs and have nothing but goods things to say about it.

Stonefly
07-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Another vote for the Renzetti here. Mine is the older style with adjustment knob rather than the lever. Unlike my old HMH Spartan, the Renzetti never slips no matter how small the hook. I know the HMH is a quality vise, but I always had trouble with hooks slipping -- I'm sure it was user error, but since I got my Renzetti, no such trouble.

sb

rainshaker
07-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Montana Mongoose by Griffin....nothing against Renzetti ;)

BlueRaiderFan
07-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Oooohhhh...That Mongoose looks sweeeet!

BlueRaiderFan
07-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Montana Mongoose by Griffin....nothing against Renzetti ;)

Ryan,

I couldn't figure out how to e mail you.

92Esquire
08-22-2008, 05:11 AM
I've been tying on the PEAK vise for about the last year and a half. I've been completely satisfied with my purchase. I've tied from a size 22 up to a size 2 saltwater on the same standard jaws with no problems. Earlier this year when I started thinking about putting a travel fly kit together I searched for a different vise and realized that when I finally do put the kit together, it will probably be around another PEAK, this one with a C-clamp.

If you do get the PEAK, get the arm extension and the brass screw set. IMHO, both of those are worth it.