PDA

View Full Version : Cumberland

3wt
07-13-2008, 09:04 PM
My dad, brother Mitchell (brothers friend) and I all went down to the cumberland river this Saturday and started fishing at Helms landing around 7:00. after fishing for three hours and only catching a few we stopped fishing and cooked some trout and some rice right on the gravelbar. Then it started raining (earlier than predicted) and most of the boats and nearly all the wade fishermen came in and left. We decided to stay and fish and I'm glad we did. During and after the rain the fishing just kept getting better and better. We had multiple doubles, triples, and one quadruple!:eek: On our last 15 minutes of fishing time I caught a big bright 21 inch rainbow that jumped multiple times before getting to the net!!:biggrin:The pictures are on my dad's camera so I'll try to get it put up in the next few days. We left around 8:00 due to exhaustion. All the fish were caught on size 18 or 20 zebra midges. Never changed flies all day long!

cardfly
07-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Hey 3wt,

Heading to cumberland in a couple of weeks myself. Did you wade the whole time?

I've never been to the River side. Fished the lake so I'm really looking forward to getting down there.

Any other tips?

Thanks

waterwolf
07-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Save you gas at this point. The water has gotten extremely warm, and it is not the best place to be right now. The fish are super stressed and need to be left alone unless you need to fill some freezer space.

cardfly
07-20-2008, 09:17 PM
thanks for the info.

I'll just wait till fall.

Rockyraccoon
07-21-2008, 10:48 AM
I'll agree with Waterwolf to some degree.

The water at and downstream of Winfreys is warming to high levels, so if your fishing that far downstream.....careful playing, landing, handling, and releasing of fish will be very important.

3wt
07-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Cardfly, yes we did wade the whole time. At Helm's Landing its extremely easy to wade all the way across the river. Some tips would be to fish sz 18 zebra midges and stick with them. You might hit a slow time but the fish will soon be back on. I use an indicator and set it about four feet from the fly. fish to the far side of the river. We're going to be at Helm's again this weekend and I expect it to be excellent!

cardfly
07-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Well we went to cumberland (Helms Landing) today and I got my BUTT kicked. Cardfly jr., who is usually a trooper, did not take to the water very well and no fish were brought to hand.

However, several fisherman did and there was one young man, he was around 14 or so, there that was truly gifted. He began casting while moving out on the river and caught 2 nice trout very quickly. I stopped and watched him for a bit and he was really good.

So, zebra midges, better/longer casting is a must and even after getting skunked, I can't wait to go back. Very nice spot with lots of fisherman to talk and learn from.

3wt
07-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Cardfly, was this the kid?
http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa70/duffy0707/?action=view&current=100_2168.jpg

cardfly
07-27-2008, 06:33 PM
That's him.

Great pic and he is a heck of a fly fisherman.

3wt
07-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks Cardfly. That is the 21 inch rainbow that I caught last time. I saw you and your son upstream of me wading across the river. I fished a black zebra midge until around eleven then they turned off cold. I switched to a brown zebra midge and they turned on. Lots of the trout ate it on the swing or while I twitched it. We were in the red Navigator on the gravel bar.

cardfly
07-27-2008, 08:14 PM
so you are 3wt? Well, I stopped awhile to watch you but was embarrased to ask how you were doing it.:frown:

The current was too much for Cardfly jr. He went over to the bank for awhile but I was afraid he was getting bored so we hit the road. I'm gonna get back down there as soon as possible.

Believe it or not, when I got home I had 14 zebra midges in the mail so I will be ready next time.

How about an indicator?

Hope to see you there again and we can talk.

3wt
07-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Cardfly, I do use an indicator and I set it around four feet deep(a little deeper than the water I'm fishing) Usually I only have to use a black zebra midge but for some reason they quit eating it so I changed to brown and it worked like a charm. We kept fishing until around 7:30 and I ended up with around thirty trout. None over 16 inches.

cardfly
07-28-2008, 06:10 PM
well, I hope to have a little more time and success next time down.

That's a really nice place to fish.

3wt
08-04-2008, 09:28 AM
may be heading back down again this weekend.

OLDTIMER
08-07-2008, 10:55 AM
:smile: The week of July 13 my granddaughter and I fished several days below Helms Landing and just below the dam and the fishing was awesome. She is 11 yrs old and has been tying flies for for me for a couple of years now. This was her first time to use a fly rod only. She tied lots of pheasant tails size 12 and black midges size 16 and 18. Well this was all she needed, fishing the pheasent tail with the midge dropper and a small orange indicator she kept me busy releasing trout all day long. She is a little small for wading so we were drifting in a Bass Tracker 175 . I can hardly wait until she can start wading with me.

3wt I think I have seen you a couple of times at Helms. Nice fish.

cardfly
08-16-2008, 05:48 PM
3wt,

Where were you today? Went to Helm's and did OK. Caught 6, had 2 or 3 opt for the early release program and a bunch of bumps.

Used a 18 zebra midge dropped under an elk hair caddis about 3 feet deep.

Thanks for the info.

By the way, if Hugh Hartsell reads this, thanks for encouraging me to learn the PITZEN knot. It's a life saver.

3wt
08-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Cardfly,
I didn't end up going because I saw the water would be up. With the water at 2,020 cfs wasn't it hard to wade out into the river? Glad you had better luck and caught some fish!

cardfly
08-17-2008, 02:23 PM
We got there a little before 7 and it wasn't bad. I did get tough around 11 so we headed out. Went down to rock house but didn't catch a fish there.

I was much better catching fish this time.