PDA

View Full Version : Spey Lines

Tater
07-20-2008, 04:32 PM
I am looking into getting a spey rod but I am having trouble picking out a line. I was having trouble choosing between RIO Windcutter Spey Fly Line and Scientific Anglers Mastery Spey Classic Fly Line. But then I saw that there was a couple multi tip lines and skagit lines for RIO and SA. I was wondering if I needed any of those speacialty lines as a begginer. I also was wondering what those lines are good for.
Thanks Travis

bigpopper
07-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Just wanted to know what a SPEY line/rod is exactly. How's it different than the outfit i use. Iv'e been fly fishing for 6 years (warmwater stuff) however, ive done more fly fishing in the last 10 months and bought gear than in all 6 years together. I know that lines are as diverse as the flies they throw. i do know WF is weight forward because that is what i use on my 8wt rod and reel. It's great for getting those big flies out there into the ponds, lakes, rivers and soon to be gulf o' mexico. Thanks in advance for the clartiy. Good fishin to all! :biggrin:
Mark <::><

Steve Wright
07-21-2008, 09:36 AM
A mid belly line is best to start for all around fishing ........it can get complicated,so start simple ;learning technique first.

C N D Gravity Point Speyline ( made by Rio ) They make # 5/6 up to #10/11 wt. lines.

Skagit lines have shorter heads & good for heavy flies ................traditional spey casts should be learned first IMO ......................you can add tips later to the CND lines ( poly 12 ' are good ) .

James Buice
07-26-2008, 04:47 PM
For lines, I'd first say what you plan to do with the rod. For dry line work, mid to shorter heads work well, esp for learning to cast. Rio's Powerspey is a pretty nice line that I recently cast as is Airflo's Delta Spey. Both are great dry lines for rods 13 1/2' and longer. Although I have cast the Delta spey on couple of 13 footers and it was pretty nice, too. Steve's right on the Skagit style heads. If you're tossing big bugs and sinking heads, it's the way to go. It is my go to line system when fishing for winter steelhead tossing sea monsters and T-14.

Here's the deal, Skagit heads and mid belly lines require two totally different styles of casting. Shorter, more compact strokes for the Skagit lines, and longer, more sweeping casts for the longer heads. While the mechanics and basic principles are the same, if you try to alternate between both when learning, you'll wreck your style and get pretty confused on the water. Pick one style, learn it, and stick with it.

You mentioned the multi tip lines. They're great for switching heads, but in reality, I tend to either go on top or really push it down with varying lengths of T-14. Or just stick on a Type 6 head for everything that's not on the surface and call it good.

Hope this helps,
James