PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

bigpopper
07-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Just wanted to know what a SPEY line/rod is exactly. How's it different than the outfit i use. Iv'e been fly fishing for 6 years (warmwater stuff) however, ive done more fly fishing in the last 10 months and bought more gear than in all 6 years together. I know that lines are as diverse as the flies they throw. i do know WF is weight forward because that is what i use on my 8wt rod and reel. It's great for getting those big flies out there into the ponds, lakes, rivers and soon to be gulf o' mexico. Thanks in advance for the clartiy. Good fishin to all! :biggrin:
Mark <::><

Gerry Romer
07-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Simply put, a spey rod is a rod designed for two-handed casting/fishing. The rod lengths, actions and line specifications are necessarily different than those for, say, an Orvis 6', 2 wt. Troutbum....

We're talking some serious distance casting here.

PeteCz
07-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Gerry, just in case you were still wondering...some of us find the edit descriptions quite amusing....so don't think they go unnoticed :biggrin:

Gerry Romer
07-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Good!! I live to edit! Kinda pi$$e$ my daughter off since she's going to school to learn how to do it... edit, that is.

Gerry