PDA

View Full Version : Significant Rain Event

ChemEAngler
07-22-2008, 01:45 PM
I know it sounds terrible, but I think the Smokies and Northern GA are in need of a tropical storm or hurricane landfall. These afternoon and evening thunderstorms are band-aids, we need something a little stronger. If I recall correctly, there wasn't a significant landfall last year that carried water inshore this far, and that scenario usually contributes a good amount of water to the system in the fall. It sounds terrible to be asking for this kind of event to happen, but I am not asking for a Cat IV hurricane. A tropical storm that could dump a few inches of water in a couple of days would be a much welcome sight to this area. That is just the nature of things, what could be bad for one region would be a blessing for another.

Travis

Redfish62
07-22-2008, 02:00 PM
I agree,

Having lived on the gulf coast I understand they do not care for it but tropical storms and huricains provide a significant amount of rain to inland locations. A slow moving tropical depression would be great for the region.

Rog 1
07-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Having spent most of my adult life on the Florida coast most people will cringe at the word hurricane...I have had more than one late summr/early fall trip influence by a hurricane in the mountains.......probably the best event is a slow moving tropical depression....most of your hurricanes usually hit a high pressure line once they get inland and just speed off on a tangent resulting in a lot of rain in a short period of time....more than once I have come up to the Park the week after a hurricane has come thru only to find high water the first couple of days and by weeks end everything is back to normal...what we all need is one of those 2-3 day soakers where the water has a chance to be absorbed by the water table rather than just running off into the rivers.

Brian Griffing
07-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Got some more good rain in Maryville this morning, and looks to be more on the way. I took the kids swimming on Thursday by the Abrams Creek Campground, and the water was up and a little dirty. I took this picture from my back patio the other evening after one of the storms. It looks like their might be a pot of gold somewhere up there near where I chase turkeys in the Spring...

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4816/6/27/93/18/15/7/715189327605_0_ALB.jpg