PDA

View Full Version : Casting Habit Question

highpockets
07-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Ok, Iíve got a bad habit that I canít seem to break and iíll take any advice you can give. When I cast (Iím right-handed) the fly-line lands straight and the leader/tippet lands at a 90 degree angle to the fly-line pointing to the right. The only way I can make it stop is to either cast by pulling the rod across my chest with the loop of fly-line going by me on my left side or by loading the rod and really pushing it out there which makes for a bad presentation. Any ideas? Is this clear as mud?

BuckeyeRick
07-23-2008, 09:58 AM
HP - Are you using a tippet that matches the size of your fly? If the fly is too large for the tippet, the fly will sometimes just "die" and not straighten out. Are you stopping your front cast and allowing the line to straighten before you drop the rod? These are the only 2 things I can think of.

highpockets
07-23-2008, 12:42 PM
it looks like the fly line goes "whap" and hits the water and then along comes the leader and tippet bringing up the rear but runs out of energy.

mountbkr@msn.com
07-24-2008, 11:48 AM
You maybe dropping your rod to quick, stay in the 10:00 position till the line straightens out then drop you rod toward the water.

jeffnles1
07-24-2008, 12:37 PM
I had (and sometimes still have) the same problem. I found I was overpowering the cast. It should be a fluid motion with a sudden stop at the end. The rod and line do most of the work. When I softened my stroke up a little and didn't put as much shoulder into the forward part of the cast, the problem you mentioned went away.

What was happening is I had so much momentum with the line going forward, it would hit dead straight out with so much energy, it was starting to snap back and thus the leader and a few inches of the line would hook to the left (I cast left handed).

Hope this helps.

Jeff

highpockets
07-24-2008, 05:53 PM
thanks, gonna go home and grass cast some and see what I can do

Gerry Romer
07-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Midcurrents has started showing segments from the new Joan Wulff DVD. Their video library has a lot of useful videos, but these new Joan Wulff videos are very direct and to the point... very helpful. The first is titled "The Hand and the Arm" and might just help you out. She does an excellent job of explaining the proper body mechanics essential to a good cast. Here's a link:

http://www.midcurrent.com/video/clips/wulff_dynamics_04.aspx

The second video in this weeks newsletter is Joan Wulff demonstrating a reach cast to achieve a longer drag-free drift. You might be able to find it in their video library.