PDA

View Full Version : tremont dam

knucklehead
07-23-2008, 12:15 AM
anybody know anything about the tremont dam? i was wandering around that area the other day and came across it. i'd say its about 10 feet high and 20 or so feet across. very odd structure.

Rog 1
07-23-2008, 11:37 AM
If this is the one above the Cascades this is the structure that is the remnant of an old "splash dam"....the old logging companies would dam up the river and back up the water so that it would float their logs....when all was ready they would open the dam and the resulting "splash" would carry the logs down stream to the main river where they could be floated to the lumber yard in Townsend....this would have been quite a site when it hit the area of the Cascades....can read more about this and other techniques used to harvest the trees in this area in the book "Last Train to Elkmont"...can get this at Park HQ

Stonefly
07-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Love Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremont,_Tennessee Wonder who wrote up this submission? Anyone here?

sb

Jswitow
07-29-2008, 12:21 PM
I think you're talking about the dam over by the institute, correct? I believe that dam was originally built of the tremont community. Thought some others would weigh in. I will get a book or two out and reread. Pretty sure that was a water supply dam though for the Tremont community.
Best,
John

Rog 1
07-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Was aware of a dam by the institute....don't fish down that low...my reference was to the remains of an old wooden splash dam up above the cascades....has always been a nice pool above the dam and one below it...if you have fished past it you know what I am talking about

Vern
07-29-2008, 10:17 PM
I have always wondered about those pools above the cascades. I have noticed that the pools could have been formed by a dam. But have never noticed that there use to be a dam there. Last train to Elkmont is a very intresting read that explains the splash dams.

Rog 1
07-30-2008, 01:04 PM
For years there was one particular spot a little ways above the cascades that had the wooden remnants of a splash dam....couldn't miss it...what remained was a wooden base that may have been about thigh high standing directly below it...until I read the book I had just assumed someone had put it in there to create a swimming hole.....would have like to have been a little bird at the cascades when they cut one of those dams loose....what a sight it must have been

knucklehead
08-02-2008, 11:14 PM
if anybody is interested in seeing it, it's approximately 2.3 miles upstream from the road. park on the road, walk across the stream and then back down a small trail about 100 yards. i too would've loved to see the dam in action.

jeffnles1
08-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Anyone have a photo of the remains of the dam? I'd love to see it.

I think my son an I stumbled upon it last time we fished up Lynn Camp but am not sure what I was looking for or at.

Thanks,
Jeff

Rog 1
08-04-2008, 01:10 PM
The last time I saw the remains it looked like someone had made a wooden dam across Lynn Camp....there used to be a pool about 3 ft deep behind the remains and most of the water was coming over the top....from what I can tell this looks to be the base of the splash dam....just above it I seem to recall a small feeder stream coming in from the far side....like I said earlier it looks like someone just tried to dam up the stream to make a swimming hole....

jeffnles1
08-04-2008, 04:02 PM
I recall seeing something that looked like a concrete or rock footer stretching across the stream with a pool behind it. It looked like someone could have built a dam above / on it. It was about 1 mile or maybe a little less above the cascades.

Jeff

Rog 1
08-04-2008, 04:37 PM
That's in the area where the one I am referring to should be....not sure about the concrete footer....my guess would be a rock base with timbers....makes a nice quiet pool above it....

jeffnles1
08-04-2008, 10:50 PM
That's in the area where the one I am referring to should be....not sure about the concrete footer....my guess would be a rock base with timbers....makes a nice quiet pool above it....

Yep, must have been the place. The rock base looked too "perfect" to be natural. Someone put it there so I guess that was the base for one of the dams. Caught some nice fish in the pool too.

Jeff

Rog 1
08-05-2008, 08:57 AM
I think you found it...I have probably caught more fish just below the "dam" than in the pool above it.....but just arriving at that point elevates the senses and anticipation.....I am sure just about everyone on this board has a pool or spot on there favorite streams that just screams fish me to them and is etched into their memory as the place to be in regards to that piece of water.....

nvr2L8
08-05-2008, 08:39 PM
As an aside, I bought Last Train to Elkmont this past weekend - facinating book! One of the things that was really cool for me personally was the chapter (all of two pages) on Sam and Alva Henry. The Henrys were members of Campground Methodist Church in Townsend when my Dad was pastor beginning in 1959 (I was 7 at the time). Sam Henry was the lay leader of the church. Seeing their picture in the book really brought back some fond memories.

Rog 1
08-06-2008, 11:16 AM
I absolutely loved that book....in my early years when you could drive up to the forks of the river above Elkmont it was not such a haul to get up to Goshen Prong....in reading this book they talk about cabins up that high and how they took the trains almost to the upper ridges....I still have an old railroad spike that I carried out from the Fish Camp Prong up beyond its fork with the Goshen Prong....it is hard to conceived that most of the forest where we fish today was once clear cut to nothing.

nvr2L8
08-06-2008, 07:36 PM
One image that really resonated from the book was that, after the tall timbers were harvested, the landscape was taken over with the brush that we all have to bushwack our way through now. It's incredible to think about moving between prongs standing upright and walking among tall trees rather than fighting our way through sometimes impenetrable thickets of rhodendendron and the like. One can imagine fishing several streams in a single day simply because of increased mobility from one spot to another.

Rog 1
08-07-2008, 09:44 AM
It is amazing what a jungle those rhodo thickets make....and it is not just walking from one prong to another....there is a spot up Little River above Elkmont where the river splits and there is a dry bed between the sections...I once tried to bushwack back to the road from the far side....and I reiterate the word once....if I had broken a leg back in there I seriously doubt if anyone could have ever found me.....