PDA

View Full Version : Top Bass Flies

dailey624
07-23-2008, 09:03 PM
I was wondering what everyone's favorite topwater flies are for bass(Smallmoiuth, Largemouth, Stripers, and White). I have tied up the divers and muddlers and a few sculpins, but none of them have been dynamite. I was wondering if there are any that people use as the go to fly.

Also, are the deer hair heads better than the foam or is there really no difference in them.

Justin

MickinMS
07-23-2008, 09:57 PM
For top water I like poppers and Dahlberg Divers. I tie my own and prefer the look of deer hair. I also think that bass hang on to them a little long because of the feel. I recently tied some from old wine corks. They are very large, but I think they look good. I just tied up some stealth bombers, but have not fished them yet. I live outside of Memphis in North MS. The temps here have been in the high 90s so top water is all but over until the fall. Below are two of the cork flies I tied and one deer hair popper. Let me know what you think.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/MickinMS/queenbeepopper.jpg
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/MickinMS/confettipopper.jpg
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/MickinMS/fruitcocktailpopper.jpg

dailey624
07-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Those are pretty neat looking. I bet those flies will work pretty well too. Have you ever fished any of Kelly Galloup flies? The big articulated ones?

Tater
07-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Yes
I have used Kelly Galloup's flies and I have had great success with his patterns. I really enjoy tying the deer hair patterns and fishing them on top like a snake or frog or swimming them deep with a full sinking line like a baitfish.
Tater

Troutman
07-24-2008, 04:04 PM
For largemouth and smallies, I like black or chat. green foam poppers, Stealth Bombers, Gurglers,but my favorite is a black/yellow spun deerhair popper with rubber legs. Dave Whitlock style. I buy those. I haven't fished for stripers. White bass I have caught a few on top in the breaks on crease poppers and pencil poppers.

bigpopper
07-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Mick in MS,
Very nice flies! those look like they would land some big ones :eek:. Cork looks like a great material to tie poppers with. Good luck with the new flies.
Mark <::><

bigpopper
07-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Daily 624,
For lagemouth I use <>< Rainy's rattln' frog 2/0 <>< Bett's asorted popper patterns(black/yellow bee, silver/red stripe, chartruse/white mottled) in sizes 1,2,3 <>< Bett's green/chartruse deer hair w/ feather wings in 1/0. This is what works for me, give 'em a try. Hope to one day tie my own flies and save.. lol... some money.:smile: Good fishin to ya!:biggrin:

MickinMS
07-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks! I have tied up some of the galloups flies, but have not really had a chance to try them out. I tied some of the sdungeons, I took them to a local pond and they are a lot to handle on a 7 weight. I am going to try an make some smaller ones so they may be a little easier to cast I posted some pics on another thread. Here is a different one. Let me know what you think.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/MickinMS/blacksdungeon.jpg

bigpopper
07-26-2008, 08:52 PM
MickinMS,
I'm guessing that youare using a 7wt rod/7wt reel/7wt float line. Don't know if you know this but you can go up or down 1 weight on your float line and the reel and rod can handle it no probs. I personally use a 7-8wt rod 7-9wt reel, and currently using an 8wt. high viz blaze orange float line.I'd bet if you just went up to an WF8wt line it would make a big difference in getting those big flies out there. I just changed out my old WF9wt line out with the new WF8wt line. So I know first hand the rods can handle it. I just went down to an 8 wt line because they were out of the 9wt when i bought the new line. If you are looking for a certain brand, there are alot out there, but me being "cheap" I look for a great deal. There is a new line company called SUPER LINE high quality line at rasonable prices. About $25 w/ tax (premium lines) and about $19 w/tax (standard lines), I went for the premium line because I do both fresh and salt fly fishing , it has an extra dacron coating and its core is better quality, its been worth every penny. I found the float line at a "sporting goods" store here in Franklin,Tn. Check out Little River Outfitters online store , maybe they carry it :biggrin: . Anyways, I hope some of this helps. Great fishin to ya! :biggrin:

MickinMS
07-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Big Popper,

I am currently using 7wt WF intermediate on my rod. It is an cortland clear and it feels really niceon my rod. I am using the intermediate to get these flies down deeper. I also have an SA Bass Bug taper that throws big poppers fine. The problem with the SDungeon flies I tied is that because they are articulated they are they are extremely wind resistant. I may have also tied the deer hair too full. I downsized the deer hair head and used a little less marabou. I am hoping these will work. Thanks for the info on the lines I will check it out.

SWAMPUS
10-18-2008, 03:14 AM
Favorite Goto For Bas Is Green Deerhair Flat Faced Frog With 2 Tufts Of Green Maribou For Hind Legs.tied Weedless.first Tied This 'kicker Frog' I Call It,years Ago.sent One To R&r Mag And They Ran Pic.maribou Legs Have A Very Natural Action.not Stiff Like Saddle Hackles.just Dry It Good Before You Put It Away.best Day -18 Bass In One Afternoon.going To Try A Diving Version Next For Open Water,soon As Mr. Arthuritis Eases Up.if You Want To Dress It Up,take A 1/2" Piece Of 90#mono In Your Forceps And Gently Heat The Ends Until It Melts And Forms A Ball.looks Like A Dumbell.tie In Last For Eyes.cheap And Works.

jeffnles1
10-20-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm kind of partial to a fly called a gurgle pop. Basically 2mm craft foam folded over the hook, a couple rubber legs and a tail of your choice. Some I tie have rooster hackle and some have maribou. The maribou seems to have more action in the water and that's what I mainly use. Red goes well with the yellow and black seems to work good with green. White or red work with black.

Here's a "proof is in the pudding" shot.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/jeffnles1/fishing/PA200006.jpg

Jeff

DarrinG
10-24-2008, 08:14 AM
Topwater?
Wiggle Minnows, no doubt.
WM's were my "top" topwater fly this year by far.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/DarrinG/Smallmouth%20Bass/Noli-5-24-08007.jpg

bigpopper
10-24-2008, 05:09 PM
I use Bett's poppers, I go with larger #1,#2 sizes in a Bee color (black/yellows). Conehead maribou Muddlers with yellow and red hackle and tails. Cone/beadhead wooly buggers in size #1 and #2. I also use a Rainy's Rattlin' Frog 1/0 but yet to catch one on it. Just got some Zonkers and a Double Bunnie, hope they bring in the big mouths too.

MickinMS
10-24-2008, 05:24 PM
I have been getting a lot of action on seaducers and clousers. Chartreuse and yellow or red and white. Bass have been schooling and when they start busting bait, throw it in there, strip fast and hang on! I have tied up some of those Wiggle Minnows and am going to try them this weekend!!

bigpopper
10-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Who carries the Tom's Wriggle Minnows, since I cant tye my own? Thanks.

MickinMS
10-26-2008, 08:18 PM
I am sure LRO sells them. But if not Feather Craft in St. Louis has them.

James Buice
12-19-2008, 05:26 PM
I used the Jawbreaker and Bearded Clam (don't laugh) on smallies and largemouth with good success. Like those Walt's poppers, too. Here's a pic I found online of the bearded clam. It's a spoon fly with a squirrel zonker wrapped around it. Flutters in the water and doesn't twist like a traditional spoon. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/gatogordo/bc1.jpg

JohnT
12-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Nice bug there James, where can both of these be purchased if one wanted to. I am a smallie fanatic and love new flies to try out.

Not a tyer.

James Buice
12-21-2008, 09:21 PM
I think the guys at LRO have some coming. It's a nifty fly for smallies, esp in slower water.