PDA

View Full Version : Lions and Tigers and Bears, OH NO!

nvr2L8
07-25-2008, 05:02 PM
There have been all sorts of posts about different critter hazards in the park. Bears, boars, snakes, spiders. Well, my son found a new one today. He got a fly hung up in a rhododendron and started yanking on it - apparently the hornets who had built a nest in the tree didn't care too much for that and stung him twice in the face. Good thing he's not allergic - it hurt pretty much for a while but eventually eased up. Here's a picture of the culprits' home up on Lynn Camp Prong.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd70/nvr2l8_chuck/MiddleProng.jpg
For those fishing LCP, there's a huge rock leaning on another rock right next to the trail about 1 1/2 miles up Middle Prong Trail. There's a beautiful pool just above that where the water spills down between two huge rocks. The nest is on the right side of the stream looking upstream. BEWARE!!:eek:

brown trout man
07-25-2008, 05:13 PM
That sure is bad is he ok and thanks for the warning

brown trout man

nvr2L8
07-25-2008, 07:31 PM
BTM,
He's just fine now. Thanks for asking.

cincy_jim
07-25-2008, 09:05 PM
whew, missed one myself a few years back fishing from a canoe on a local pond. Had a deceiver on and was doing the old chuck and duck cast when by the grace of God I missed the nest by one eight of an inch. bad medicine these guys are.

ijsouth
07-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Glad he's ok...on our last trip, my youngest got stung by a bumblebee in, of all places, the upper lip....it swelled up so bad she looked like Lisa on "The Simpsons". But, in a few hours, the swelling was gone.

flyman
07-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Those are bald face or white faced hornets, and they can be bad news. For some reason they almost always sting you around the head or face area. They usually build their nest in decidious trees. I usually see a dozen or more on most every stream I fish, so keep your eyes open:eek:

Fly_Man_Bill
07-26-2008, 12:35 AM
nvr2L8,

Glad your son is O.K. I started in May counting the hornet nest that I saw while fishing. The count stands at 14. I have spotted these nest on Little River, Lynn Camp,Greenbrair, Elkmont above the houses,Cataloochee below the Palmer Place, Cosby and 3 on the lower end of Oconaluftee just above the Job Corps bridge. I have been very lucky this year about not getting stung. This is the most nest I have ever seen in the park. Most years I will see a couple of nest up high in the trees but this year they have been down low. I do not understand why they are so low this year. My grand dad told me when Bees or Hornets or Yellow Jackets make their nest low we will have a bad winter. I don't know if this is ture or not. It could be an old wise tell. If anyone fishes the creeks be on the look out for these nest...

May God Bless You...

Bill

BlueRaiderFan
07-26-2008, 02:57 PM
nvr2L8,

My grand dad told me when Bees or Hornets or Yellow Jackets make their nest low we will have a bad winter. I don't know if this is ture or not. It could be an old wise tell. If anyone fishes the creeks be on the look out for these nest...

May God Bless You...

Bill

Interesting stuff. Some of those old tales are fairly accurate.

bigpopper
07-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Thanks nvr2l8 and fly man bill, i'll keep my eyes peeled. I'll be up in GSMNP next week, be doing some fly fishing on the little river near Townsend. Glad your son is doing better nvr2L8. Great fishin to yall!
Mark <::><

flyman
07-27-2008, 08:27 PM
I hate em, fish love em;) If you don't carry a bee or yellow jacket imitation this time of year, you should:smile: It doesn't get much easier to tie than these form cylinders. Just add some hackle and hackle tip wings. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/flyman1/fishing%20and%20misc%20flies/GraphicDesign397.jpg

EggMcTrout
07-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Glad to hear he only got two stings for his troubles. Nasty little buggers when they get riled up. Could tell almost the same story minus the stings. I got lucky a few weeks back on Middle Prong. Hooked a branch on the back cast and gave a couple of yanks. Turned around and noticed a nest just a bit smaller than that one on the branch next to the one my fly was in. I could my Yellow Sally outta the tree and beat it up the creek.