PDA

View Full Version : rods

southernboy
07-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Time for a new rod but I can't decide between a 8'0 3wt or a 8'6 4wt.So what do ya"ll think.I will be fishing streams similar to smokey mountain streams,maybe a little larger fish.Just like to get a few opinions to see what everybody else likes.

Speckleman5
07-29-2008, 05:02 PM
I used a 8' 4/5 wt. for the last several years, but recently I picked up a 7'6" 3wt. I couldn't be happier with the performance...I love a little lighter rod, makes for more sport.

Plunker
07-29-2008, 11:26 PM
Picked up a sweet little 7'6" TFO Pro 3WT a couple years back...find it in my hand quite often.
Southernboy...I use it quite often on the Sipsey tailwater here in Alabama, and used it a bunch in GSMNP and on a recent trip to North Ga. Makes the little stockers feel like big boys, and hold overs feel like men!
I never leave home without it.

buckeyetrouter
07-30-2008, 06:43 AM
I had been using a 7'6" 3wt and loved it, but this past spring I purchased an 8'6" 4wt Scott from LRO and I like it even more.......

God Bless & Good Fishing
bob

BlueRaiderFan
07-30-2008, 07:25 AM
Go with the 4 wt if you are going to do any fishing in tailwaters. I go below the dam on the Caney a lot and my 8'6" (Tip Flex) 6wt gets bent a lot and the fish I usually catch aren't even that big lol. I've used it without any trouble in the Smokey's as well. If you COULD get a 7'6" 5/6 wt, it might help a little in the tighter streams,but I don't think it would help that much.

ACinEastTN
07-30-2008, 09:11 AM
The 8 1/2 really would help with highstickin' a nymph. It is difficult to get a drag free drift with a short rod. I use my 8 1/2 4wt in the park and it does great.

ttas67
07-30-2008, 09:45 AM
choosing between a 3 or 4 wt on smaller streams is a tough choice. I've gone back and forth over the past few years. an 8.5 4wt and an 8 3wt are two very different rods. I've been fishing an 8' 3wt in the park lately and while I love it, I do feel somewhat limited with it sometimes, and need a little more casting power. the 4 wt will handle wind that the 3 wt may not. An 8' 6" 4wt is a very versatile rod and will handle a variety of waters and situations, but you give up some of the delicacy and fun of the 3 wt. another rod to consider is an 8' 4wt, which gives you the best of both worlds.

PeteCz
07-30-2008, 09:49 AM
I agree on the 8'6" 4wt. That would probably be your best all-around. I have a 7'6" 3wt and a 8'6" 3wt and like both of them, but find myself using the 8'6" in most situations. The extra length helps keep more line off the water.

If you are chasing after fish beyond about 14-16" (aren't we all :biggrin:?) you will want something a bit stouter than a 3wt. You could probably catch a 3-4 lb fish, but you would need to use a light tippet and wear the fish out rather than horse him in. So if you routinely go after bigger fish, go with a 4wt.

jeffnles1
07-30-2008, 01:46 PM
I currently have rods in 3wt, 4wt, 5wt, and 7wt. All but the 3wt are 9' and the 3wt is 7'6".

I really like the little 7'6" 3wt. It's a neat little stick and is a bunch of fun to fish. If I could only have one rod, this would not be it. I see the 7'6" 3wt as a speciality toy. I use it on some small streams with tight cover, and when I just want to do something different. It does not get anywhere as much use as my 9' 4wt or my 9' 5wt.

I've used the 5wt in the park a lot but is is really overkill for the fish I catch there. The 9' 4wt is a far better choice for fishing in the park.

I like the added length of the 9' on all but the most brush covered streams and even on those really tight streams, the longer rod lets me "cane pole" some of the runs and holes that there would be absoluteyl no casting to.

In the end, it's an intensly personal choice. I do tend to agree with the "longer rod is better" school of thought when it comes to fishing the mountains.

I actually find myself using the shorter rod more in warm water streams chasing sunfish, and in ponds.

Hope this is helpful.

Jeff

southernboy
07-31-2008, 12:41 AM
Thank's for the info I think I'm going to go with the 8'0 4wt.That way I will be kind of splitting the difference.Plunker do you fish the sipsey much?

Plunker
07-31-2008, 05:16 PM
My brother and I get up there as much as we can...just been busy the last month or so...gotta pay for this addiction some way.
We've fished it three times this year, but I haven't been since May. We have had some success all trips 7 or 8 fish apiece all around 6-8" stockers. It's all about matching the hatch up there, hit and miss in the deep summer with Lonnnng thin leaders. Brandon at Riverside usually has a good handle on what's working.

This time of year watch out for unscheduled releases, nothing like looking over your shoulder and seeing a gusher coming at you. Also mind your ankles on the access... little snakey in July and August, we spooked a water Moccasin while scrambling up the banks running from a water realease he wasn't happy neither was I.