PDA

View Full Version : Jumping fish

mora521
07-31-2008, 02:32 PM
Reading Byrons fishing report about the salmon jumping small waterfalls reminded me of the time I saw little fish ascending a fall in the park.It was in the early 90's and I was taking a break at nearly half past four in the afternoon,I was sitting by the little foot high fall where Spruce Flats empties into the Middle Prong and thought I saw something.I looked closer and small 2 or 3 inch fish were jumping out of the water and into the small cascade.I don't know if they were trout,but it looked just like the salmon swimming up falls I have seen on TV,except on a miniature scale.I have seen trout do some pretty strange things over the years including watching a 2 foot stocker come out from under the big rock near Big Valley campground and inhale a dip of Skoal,spin around twice and spit it out,tried to catch it with a big Kountry Kist corn kernal for about an hour,no dice.In a big pool on the Lewis River in Yellowstone I saw Brown Trout jumping straight up in the air about 2 feet.This happened both days I fished there,the fishing was real slow until the fish started jumping and then you could drift a big wooly bugger through the pool and catch one on just about every cast,it was in October and they were spawning,maybe that had something to do with the airborne antics.There are so many things that I have seen in the woods that I never would have witnessed if I wasn't out fishing,otters playing,a black lab dog going over Yellowstone falls in Pisgah NF,nekkid hippie chicks,snakes catching fish,crawdads catching fish,and once a buck nekkid dude sitting in the lotus position in the middle of a creek going "ooohhhmmm" over and over.That was on sight I could have done without!

BlueRaiderFan
07-31-2008, 05:09 PM
I can barely spell "lotus position," but I did see a Trout jump about 2 feet out of the water on the Caney the other week and eat a stinkin' fly of some sort.

diamonddave7676
07-31-2008, 06:00 PM
I have seen the same thing as far as fish jumping up small falls. I also saw a small brown jump about 4 feet out of the water on the davidson one day while I was doing my backcast. Was kinda funny. LOL