PDA

View Full Version : Caney

dailey624
08-01-2008, 01:05 PM
I was planning on heading down to the Caney sometime next week and was wondering if anyone knew how well it was fishing. I know the generation this summer has the water running high, but is it still fishing good?

Thanks
Justin

Worrgamesguy
08-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Well, I've been at least 5-6 times this summer and I've never been skunked. Since I've just started fly fishing, I've only caught a handful of trout on the fly. When my dad and I float the Caney, I used a wooly bugger and I could count the trout that would follow it, usually at least 8 or more. When I wade below the dam, the fishing is much harder because of the constant boat activity. I know there is nothing they can do about it, but some of the boaters are obnoxiously loud, it seems almost intentional. There is a lot of pressure on the fish because the Caney gets crowded so often.

monktrout
08-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Fished the Caney today and had a good time. Not crowded and no boat traffic. Caught mainly brookies on soft hackles sz16-grey or brassie style. Fish also liked a black bugger. Did better on a mended swing than eyeing an indicator. Sure Knots, Monktrout

dailey624
08-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the help. We are thinking about going there on Wednesday to cut down on the crowd.

Jswitow
08-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Good info on the Caney can be had on Trophy Fishing Tennessee.
www.trophyfishingtn.com should get you there. Very actuve Caney site.
Best,
John

fishingman62
08-04-2008, 07:34 PM
i fished sun and did well..... three browns all 14" or better above happy hollow.... one on a white nymp that resembeled what was hatching.... one on black midge ...and one on my adams i use as an indicator... rolled 3 other fish including another on my adams inicator...moved up to the dam area below the new steps.... caught a nice amount the usual small trout bows and browns on a red midge size 18... managed 1 decent bow at 12"so its still fishing good .... i fished from 8:30 -5:00.... will probably be there wed to go at it again starting at happy hollow if you want to check it out... i drive a tan buick lesaber and will be wading in shorts... you can pick me out i wear a large billed cap and will be fishing up stream from the boat ramp probaly have my girlfried with me

Stonefly
08-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Anyone know if the new orifice gate went in today? I'm anxious to see what the new minimum flow will look like.

sb

dailey624
08-05-2008, 12:11 AM
fishingman62
hopefully we see you out there. good luck

Grumpy
08-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Anyone know if the new orifice gate went in today? I'm anxious to see what the new minimum flow will look like.

sb

Steve

It's in, no increase in water, just cooler water.

Grumpy

Stonefly
08-08-2008, 08:46 AM
I thought the idea what that 200+ cfs was going to cover more of the river bed?

sb