PDA

View Full Version : Greenbriar 8/2 report

flydoc
08-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Had a great trip at Greenbriar today (other than losing my spool, see following post). Actually had seven of us, basically a get-together of the college friends from 3 states. Wide range of fishing experience amongst the seven. We broke up into multiple groups and started hiking/fishing. Hit the trail at Ramsey Cascade about 10:15 a.m., my group hit the water about 11 a.m. Hotter than blazes, but great water conditions. Gin clear, good flow. Overall good fishing. The experienced fishermen all caught multiple fish, a mix of bows and brookies. Largest about 11". First-time flyfishers did some pretty good casting and actually got a few hits. EHCs and any yellow dry seemed to be the ticket, although I did catch one nice brookie on a Greenie Weenie dropper. As usual, stealth and presentation rather than the fly were the key. Hoping we can do it again soon.

knucklehead
08-02-2008, 11:08 PM
a few days ago i was up at greenbriar, fishing along porter's creek. 11 trout, 9 or 10 brookies and 1 or 2 rainbows. and about as many misses. nothing bigger than 10 inches. but wow! and in the rain no less! i must've reely pleased the fishing gods that day. i got a fly caught in a tree twice and twice i had to break it off. it landed at my feet both times. yellow dry flies. size 14 or smaller. best day i've ever had in the smokies fish wise. beautiful scenery. all the green was shining and plush. the rocks super-slick and the fish were hungry and dumb. just the way i like them. glad to know i'm not the only one having good luck up there. great place to go.