PDA

View Full Version : Cades Cove or higher?

Mr. Mike
08-04-2008, 02:52 PM
I think I may be able to make my first trip to the Smokies some time next week.

Because it has been a while, I was thinking about Cades Cove.

However, Byron's fishing report points out that the fishing is probably better up high with the warm weather, so what do you think, will the Cove fish ok in this weather or do I need to head up the trails?

Hugh Hartsell
08-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Mike, I think you're going to have some problems fishing the warmer waters of the Cove at this time of the year. Try some of the mid to upper reaches of streams like Lynn Camp, The East Prong of Little River above Elkmont,The West Prong of the Little Pigeon River, or the two upper prongs of Greenbriar. They will fish better. Good luck.
Hugh

Mr. Mike
08-05-2008, 10:04 AM
how do I access the two upper prongs of Greenbriar if you don't mind?

I have never fished there.

Rog 1
08-05-2008, 10:33 AM
I think Hugh is referring to the Ramsey Cascade Prong and Porter's Creek...Greenbrier is on the way to Cosby out of Gatlinburg....once you get to the Greenbrier turnoff follow the road until you get to the bridge on your left...across the bridge is the way to Ramsey and straight ahead is Porter's Creek....you can drive up to the parking area and walk down and fish back up or head upstream....the gorge above the parking area is deep and very hard to climb out of...other posters here have said it is a six hour trip to fish it to where you can get out....you can opt to hike up this trail to where it meets the stream and start in there....you are then in brook trout territory....if you choose Porter's Creek take the right fork of the road at the bridge and drive up to the parking area at the gate....from here you can walk back down as far as you like to start fishing or walk up the trail past the gate and start in when the trail meets up with the stream again....nice water in either place...

southernboy
08-06-2008, 12:05 AM
Don't mean to butt in,but when you get to the bridge on the left and cross it you will go about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile and their is another bridge with a little pull off what is that part of the creek called?Just wondering stopped and fished their about 2 weeks ago and did fairly well,but didn't know a name for it.