PDA

View Full Version : need information on brook trout restoration

flyyak
08-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Can someone give me the web site for the Park Services future plans for Brook trout restoration? Are they going to kill or remove rainbow trout from any sections?

ijsouth
08-05-2008, 12:22 AM
They're going to on Lynn Camp, above the cascades, this fall...the rainbows will be poisoned out, and brookies from neighboring streams introduced next year. I know there are a few other streams that they have in mind, but since these restorations are big projects, it is the only one pending at this time.

flyyak
08-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Are the National Park service people doing this or is it the TWRA?

ijsouth
08-05-2008, 11:03 AM
It's strictly the park service, in conjunction with Trout Unlimited...in fact, anything within the park involves just the park service, to the best of my knowledge. TWRA picks up outside the park boundary, and in fact that is how brown trout ended up in the park...they were never explicitly stocked within the park, but they were in the streams outside of the park, both in Tennessee and North Carolina. They migrated upstream, across the park boundary, on their own.

Rog 1
08-05-2008, 11:19 AM
I know this makes me feel old but I can still remember fishing in the park when there were no brown trout to be had.....everything was rainbows and you still had to hike above natural barriers to find brook trout in any concentration....this was also before the park had closed down most of what were considered pure brook trout waters

ijsouth
08-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Don't feel bad...you know you've made it to "over the hill" status when the music you listened to in high school is now described as "oldies" music. I don't care - I still feel like a kid a lot of times, despite what MY kids say.

From what I've read, the browns are fairly recent arrivals to the park, and they have colonized certain streams in a very short period of time. Up in Virginia, in SNP, they've become quite a problem; Virginia stocks them outside of the park, and they swim upstream, just like in the Smokies...the problem there is, the brook trout water starts much lower than it does in the Smokies, so the browns move into brookie country, and quickly dominate. One decent sized brown can get quite large feasting on specs.